Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I heard that people were jumping out of the windows from buildings when a lot of those banks failed during the great depression. So yes plenty of banks to go around. LOL
LOL...that other guy was confused. But it is an interesting topic in it's own right and gets into the development of FDIC, etc.. Fodder for another discussion perhaps, not this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
before they had banks? That would have been a very long time ago. Bank's have been around since 2000 B.C.

During the crusades you could deposit your money and get a note stating how much you had. When you arrived somewhere else you could go and show them the note to get money out.

So how far back are you talking?

Wow. I admit I didn't know that. I sure learn a lot on C-D. But as someone else said, many kept their "wealth" in livestock, etc. Such as in Biblical times.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:33 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wow. I admit I didn't know that. I sure learn a lot on C-D. But as someone else said, many kept their "wealth" in livestock, etc. Such as in Biblical times.
Very true. Even later on. My dad's family owned most of south Dallas in the mid to late 1800's. That dirt and the cattle on it kept the family fed. Over time, because it was a large family and the kids had large families as well, all that land was slowly split up. By the time my grandfather came around only a few remaining sections were in the family and none of it left to my grandfather.

Most people were not that well off though and worked to stay alive, farming or what ever, raising what they ate. My moms dad lived on a farm in Arkansas. I knew my great grandmother. She never lived more than 5 miles from where she was born. She used to cook up chicken dinners for people that past thru to make money. Chickens were in the yard. Everything she had she made her self. Clothes, food, everything. She never had much money though and I don't think she had any in the bank. She lived thru the depression and did not believe in banks. She also did not believe it was sanitary to have a bathroom or a kitchen inside a home. My grandfather and his brothers offered to add a bathroom on to her home. She made them make it in a building behind the house. She had a nicer bathroom then a house. LOL

Old 12-06-2016, 11:43 PM

16,083 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Hide your money in a statue...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/stashed-c...152100655.html

Old 12-07-2016, 01:22 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Yes, banks have been around since before bejebus chased out the "moneylenders" from the temple. Read your bibble.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Yes, banks have been around since before bejebus chased out the "moneylenders" from the temple. Read your bibble.

I don't have a Bible at hand, but looked up Wikipedia. I knew about the "money-lenders" but not that the temples were being used as banks, storage-wise. I read that the Templars held money at their castles for travelers, then issued documents that enabled the traveler to pick up money at other castles along the way, lessening the risk of robbery.

I asked my sister who was a missionary for many years before ATM's how she got her money. "It came on the bus" she said (from their headquarters) Hard to imagine. I have wondered what early explorers to remote areas did for money. Carrying it all with them would have invited robbery.

Leilaniguy---if you live in Leilani Estates, I looked at property there. Pahoa is such a fun eclectic place. The lava barely missed you!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:51 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
I don't have a Bible at hand, but looked up Wikipedia. I knew about the "money-lenders" but not that the temples were being used as banks, storage-wise. I read that the Templars held money at their castles for travelers, then issued documents that enabled the traveler to pick up money at other castles along the way, lessening the risk of robbery.

I asked my sister who was a missionary for many years before ATM's how she got her money. "It came on the bus" she said (from their headquarters) Hard to imagine. I have wondered what early explorers to remote areas did for money. Carrying it all with them would have invited robbery.

Leilaniguy---if you live in Leilani Estates, I looked at property there. Pahoa is such a fun eclectic place. The lava barely missed you!
This is exactly why there were the highwaymen, or why the travelers had usually gathered in large groups that were able to protect themselves, or buy protection from the local strongmen.

AFAIK the banks / Templars / whatever other early financial institutions were great if you were a wealthy man with lots of money, but I doubt that a small-time traveling merchant or a peasant out to sell his crop would use them.

They would carry money on them, and team up with others for protection.

But they didn't have much to begin with.

Also, the large households would have sizable amounts of coin on hands for everyday use. There's no way they'd be going to the bank every week. Especially if it was a country estate.

They had strong rooms or strong chests for keeping valuables, and relied on armed household members to protect them. Every house was essentially it's own fortress.

Maintaining law and order was also a communal affair. There were night watchmen, town guards, and the neighbors were always ready to help each other out.

Finally, there was severe punishment for robbery and burglary. AFAIK the death penalty was a common sentence for violent crimes.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 12-08-2016 at 03:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 05:55 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:

Yeah, sure. That's why I asked once who was historically the richest person on Earth known to history. got all kinds of standard answers.
Reality is harsh.
Noah. He had the largest livestock without ANY other supply. He was a MONOPOLY. I can only imagine riches acquired after that little trip in the arc. Forget wild animals, but just the domesticated ones....

Old 12-09-2016, 03:40 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Plantation owners were cash poor and use slaves to pay debt or trade for goods like currency.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think banks or the equivalent got started soon after somebody was willing to trade food for a scarce metal or pretty stones. Next came the development of accounts and accountants to keep track of who owned who what. Add the King's Treasurer and we have the foundations of
Civil Servants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History