Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,738,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
You may not realize it, but you do Goose Step. Just in a different way!
Well if a distaste for German actions in WW II including unrestricted submarine warfare is goose stepping I reckon I'm guilty.

However I'm most certainly out of step in my distaste for this picture which "common knowledge" holds to be a great work.

It's almost as bad as the picture "Stalingrad" which wants us to pity the poor Germans who raised Hell in Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

225 posts, read 1,074,817 times
Das Boot is an excellent movie. One I loved very much. And thanks for the others listed which I intend to see. I would like to offer one that I found to be absolutely fantastic (on the same par with Das Boot but years later - after the war): THE TUNNEL. Great film which keeps you on the edge of your seat and really does have you rooting for the East Berliners to accomplish what they are trying to do. I don't want to say much about it and give it away for anyone who hasn't seen it. What I can say about it is that it takes place in Berlin Germany as The Wall is being erected. Great plot, great acting, just great! It is in German so English subtitles will be needed and it is also available from NetFlix. Enjoy. I'd be interested in anyone else's view on this who might have seen it. Now excuse me while I go add some movies to my ever growing queue - LOL.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well if a distaste for German actions in WW II including unrestricted submarine warfare is goose stepping I reckon I'm guilty.

However I'm most certainly out of step in my distaste for this picture which "common knowledge" holds to be a great work.

It's almost as bad as the picture "Stalingrad" which wants us to pity the poor Germans who raised Hell in Russia.
My point is that you can't make a blanket statement about all German soldiers like they were all vicious Nazi Death Camp SS Guards. The point of that movie was to show that they were human beings caught up in a lousey situation just like anybody else. The British have done their fair amount of dirt, the Americans, etc. Every country has skeletons in their closet or dirty laundry.

My great uncle was a SeaBee in the Pacific against the Japanese. He said soldiers often would capture Japanese prisoners and march them back through the hot sticky jungle. They'd get tired of caring for them in the sweltering heat and when they'd send them down to a stream to drink water, they machine gun them down. That's what happens on any and all sides. No matter who's right and who's wrong, who started it and who did'nt.

There was a historical incident of a German U-boat that hit a pessenger ship by mistake and tried to rescue the people by towing the life boats to Spain or Portugal. The British tried to bomb them and they had to let the line go. but they came back to help the people again and tow the boats and the British would try and destroy them again rather than allow them to rescue the innocent passengers. But you don't really here those kinds of stories, do you ? This was actually on the History channel.

I hate the Nazi movement. I live now in a country with a hideous secret Nazi past, which also hid and provided assylum to Nazi War Criminals and continues to deny their involvement. I just wrote a lengthy piece in the World section of this forum on Sweden's Nazi past and it's been deleted because of the complaints of a few Swedes who were offended. I had web links to everything I stated as a fact. It was the Nazi War crimes thread.

I'll post it over here in history anyway, but it shows you the lengths some will go to to cover up the past. Read my post here in the Repeat of 1930s thread and you will understand what I have to deal with here.

Thanks for listening to my rant , i'm a bit irritated over this

Old 07-24-2008, 01:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,738,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
My point is that you can't make a blanket statement about all German soldiers like they were all vicious Nazi Death Camp SS Guards. The point of that movie was to show that they were human beings caught up in a lousey situation just like anybody else.
Thanks for listening to my rant , i'm a bit irritated over this

Yeah, I know the point of the picture and I don't hold with it. Once we start seeing victimizers as victims we've no moral compass left. The pictures call upon us to sympathize with characters who are killers in the service of evil.

Germans didn't have to SS death camp guards to practice unrestricted submarine warfare or kill millions of Russians and Poles; just your plain garden variety German did the job fine.

Rant away, I'll listen.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,762,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, I know the point of the picture and I don't hold with it. Once we start seeing victimizers as victims we've no moral compass left. The pictures call upon us to sympathize with characters who are killers in the service of evil.

Germans didn't have to SS death camp guards to practice unrestricted submarine warfare or kill millions of Russians and Poles; just your plain garden variety German did the job fine.

Rant away, I'll listen.
Well, I do not see them as victims either. I think it just shows them as human or ordinary guys finding themselves in an abnormal situation and trying to maintain sanity.

The Germans were victims, but of their own warped leadership and national insanity. Its like on the Japan/A-Bomb thread. Sure, I regret it had to be done, but the ultimate responsibility lies with a Japanese government that had imperial ambitions and a culture of sadism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History