Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,674,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I have never seen The Winter War - I will look it up, Thanks. I agree about Stalingrad, it is very good. I will have to go back and see it again as well. I remember the intense scene where both sides called a truce to retrieve wounded from a court yard between buildings. Also, I saw the film at home in the fall. I soon had the house heat turned up as far as it could go and I was still _freezing_!!!
Really a movie about the Finnish/Russian war..
The Trailer..

YouTube - Teräsbetoni - Pyhä Maa feat Talvisota-movie evo8 winter war
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 02:22 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,220,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Really a movie about the Finnish/Russian war..
The Trailer..

YouTube - Teräsbetoni - Pyhä Maa feat Talvisota-movie evo8 winter war
Interesting. Never heard of any film about the Winter War before.

Ken

PS - just in case anyone doesn't know that little bit of worthless trivia - the Winter War left us a lasting legacy in language, the term Molotov Cocktail - named by the Finns for Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov. Lacking anti-tank weapon, the resourceful Finns can up with their own (as shown in the film clip) and christened it as a drink for Molotov.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:22 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,158,054 times
And... "The Longest Day" Seems to have had every male movie star in Hollywood. "We are going to lose the war because our glorious Fuhrer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened."

The Longest Day (1962)

And... "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" I enjoyed the development of the secret programs to launch heavy bombers from an aircraft carrier.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)

And... "The Train" I like this one because my dad in the US Army (quarter master) had been put in charge of a Paris railroad yard, after they fought their way there.

The Train (1964)

Old 02-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Ok, don't groan on me here, but my 2 of my favorite WWII movies are Life is Beautiful and The Bicycle Thief. Granted, Bicycle Thief was post WWII, but it showed post war suffering so realisticly .. is that a word?
Have not seen The Bicycle Thief, but Life is Beautiful was sooooo sad.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
And... "The Longest Day" Seems to have had every male movie star in Hollywood. "We are going to lose the war because our glorious Fuhrer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened."

The Longest Day (1962)

And... "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" I enjoyed the development of the secret programs to launch heavy bombers from an aircraft carrier.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)

And... "The Train" I like this one because my dad in the US Army (quarter master) had been put in charge of a Paris railroad yard, after they fought their way there.

The Train (1964)
Never heard of The Train. I'll check it out.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would also add "Europa, Europa" and "Tora Tora Tora" to must-see WW II movies.
Have not seen Europa, Europa. Agree with you about Tora Tora Tora of course - the acting is VERY wooden, but the historical accuracy makes up for it.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,761,138 times
Quote:
I have never seen The Winter War - I will look it up, Thanks. I agree about Stalingrad, it is very good. I will have to go back and see it again as well. I remember the intense scene where both sides called a truce to retrieve wounded from a court yard between buildings. Also, I saw the film at home in the fall. I soon had the house heat turned up as far as it could go and I was still _freezing_!!!
"Stalingrad" was a good one (not to be confused with the "Enemy at the Gates", which wasn't bad either actually but a little heavy on the CGI effects). "Das Boot" was excellent and, as another one pointed out, there is an extended cut version of it out there and really the only way to see it is in the German language subtitled version.

Another one to see on the German side of war, this time American made, is Peckinpah's "Cross of Iron" made in the 70's. Pretty graphic for it's time and a little strange at times because Penkinpah was drugged-up during production, but it has it's moments of brilliance.

As we are getting into the Axis version of war, another excellent one to check out is "Letters from Iwo Jima". Directed by Clint Eastwood with Japanese actors, done in conjunction with his version of "Flags of our Fathers" (actually, it's better than "Flags...").

Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,506,065 times
Quote:

The Longest Day (1962)

I luv ''The Longest Day'' as that's one of my all time favorates. Infact it was on this past weekend on AMC. I like the fact that the Germans speak German and the French speak French etc...as it's translated underneath.

I like this trailer of the first 10 minutes of the movie as everytime it shows the German Army you hear the drums in the background......lol.......
The Longest Day

Old 02-28-2008, 02:30 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,761,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Have not seen Europa, Europa. Agree with you about Tora Tora Tora of course - the acting is VERY wooden, but the historical accuracy makes up for it.

Ken
Tora Tora Tora certainly beats that embarassing abomination Ben Aflick Pearl Harbor film from a few years back.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM

And while we're at it - what about The Great Escape? Who can forget Steve McQueen on the motorbike and that great Elmer Bernstein film score.

The Great Escape (1963)

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History