Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:34 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Tora Tora Tora certainly beats that embarassing abomination Ben Aflick Pearl Harbor film from a few years back.
Agreed - though I really like the effects since I'm naval history buff and the sight of those old battleships really gets to me.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Agreed - though I really like the effects since I'm naval history buff and the sight of those old battleships really gets to me.

Ken
It had some good special effects and action sequences...but at the same time it was just so over the top and had these dramatic/romantic plot twists that just destroyed it. Also very historically inaccurate.

...same with "Wind Talkers" with Nicholas Cage. Good subject, lots of action, had it's good moments. But just so over the top (Nicholas Cage taking on the whole Japanese army with his bayonet) it just becomes silly. Same with Gibson's "We Were Soldiers" (and i've read the book so I know exactly the events that happened)...just too over the top.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It had some good special effects and action sequences...but at the same time it was just so over the top and had these dramatic/romantic plot twists that just destroyed it. Also very historically inaccurate.

...same with "Wind Talkers" with Nicholas Cage. Good subject, lots of action, had it's good moments. But just so over the top (Nicholas Cage taking on the whole Japanese army with his bayonet) it just becomes silly. Same with Gibson's "We Were Soldiers" (and i've read the book so I know exactly the events that happened)...just too over the top.
Can't disagree with any of that.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
And while we're at it - what about The Great Escape? Who can forget Steve McQueen on the motorbike and that great Elmer Bernstein film score.

The Great Escape (1963)

Ken
Classic - Eddie Izzard turned me onto this one from his comedy act. They don't make movies like this in Hollywood anymore.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Quote:
... As we are getting into the Axis version of war, another excellent one to check out is "Letters from Iwo Jima". Directed by Clint Eastwood with Japanese actors, done in conjunction with his version of "Flags of our Fathers" (actually, it's better than "Flags...").
I just saw "Letters" I agree

Old 02-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I just saw "Letters" I agree
Yeah, though I thought maybe both were a little bit slow - but still excellent films. I go to see anything Clint Eastwood directs nowadays. He's come a longgggggg way since his early days. His "Unforgiven" is my favorite western of all time.

Ken

Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
... There are a few other movies tha give a good depiction of the war form the German view. Stalingrad, The Winter War are two that come to mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Really a movie about the Finnish/Russian war..
The Trailer..

YouTube - Teräsbetoni - Pyhä Maa feat Talvisota-movie evo8 winter war
Oh my, another disapointment from net fliks. I want to see it. The only place I find it is for sale on Amazon on DVD but its' $45 !?

Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
While we're at it, here's another couple of GREAT war movies:

The Beast (1988) - about a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan engaged in a cat and mouse battle with a ragged bunch guerrillas...

The Beast of War (1988)

And of course there is always Gallipoli - Peter Weirs' masterpeice starring a very young (and still relatively unknown) Mel Gibson. For heart-wrenching war movies, they don't come much better than this.

Gallipoli (1981) ...
Thanks for the recommendations. Never saw The Beast. I will look for these

Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
This was on yesterday morning, or the one before it. AMC, from 4am to 730 or so. I could only watch 5 mins and it was near the end. Gonna add it to my blockbuster online list. Looked interesting, funny to see a post about it.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would also add "Europa, Europa" and "Tora Tora Tora" to must-see WW II movies.
Thank You! I have not seen either of these. Now on my list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History