Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 07:50 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,554,153 times

Advertisements

In the early 1200s, Vlademar II of Denmark (Vlademar the conqueror or Vlademar the Victorious) had a son Vlademar the younger or sometimes Vlademar III (although there was a later Vlademar III who was king for a while). Young Vlademar was named co-regent when he was about 8. Young Vlademar was killed in a hunting accident in the early 1230s.

There was a movie made about or featuring Vlademar the younger. However I cannot find the movie or any reference to it. It is not an American film and i do not know what language it was made in. Is there any chance anyone knows the name of this film?

I am trying to discover as much information as I can about Vlademar the younger, but there is not a lot I can find beyond google searches (which turn up hundreds of links to much more modern Vlademars). Does anyone know where I might find more/better information about him, particularly something from letters from the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 02:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,570,613 times
Ton of info on Wikipedia...

The name is VALDemar, not VLADemar, so that might be confusing your searches.

The movie you are talking about is "Eye of the Eagle" and it is a Danish production made in 1997:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of...gle_(1997_film)

Valdemar II (the Younger's father) is a hero of Denmark, so there is a decent amount of information about him. Wiki has a page on the father and the son:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdemar_II_of_Denmark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdemar_the_Young

The wiki page contains a source list and one of them is a link to a page on Valdemar the Younger that contains a list of medieval texts in which he is mentioned and his story is drawn from:

DENMARK KINGS

I would suggest searching for info on Valdemar II and you will find a lot of info. The Younger's story is inextricably tied to that of his much more famous father since they ruled together and the son died first.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

The name is VALDemar, not VLADemar, so that might be confusing your searches.

The movie you are talking about is "Eye of the Eagle" and it is a Danish production made in 1997:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of...gle_(1997_film)

Valdemar II (the Younger's father) is a hero of Denmark, so there is a decent amount of information about him. Wiki has a page on the father and the son:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdemar_II_of_Denmark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdemar_the_Young

The wiki page contains a source list and one of them is a link to a page on Valdemar the Younger that contains a list of medieval texts in which he is mentioned and his story is drawn from:

DENMARK KINGS

I would suggest searching for info on Valdemar II and you will find a lot of info. The Younger's story is inextricably tied to that of his much more famous father since they ruled together and the son died first.
Well that would xplain a lot. Thanks.

I am writing a book and Valdemar the young is an acquaintance of the main character until he dies in a hunting accident (in my version, he is killed by his brother Eric who is trying to shoot my main character with a cross bow because he knows too much).

So I guess it would help to get the spelling correct.

Now I just need to find the movie dubbed or captioned in English. - Found it. $3.99 to rent.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-13-2017 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

DENMARK KINGS

This link is very useful although very hard to read. It contains the name of Able's daughter which I needed (among other things).

There must be some letters written by some of these people around someplace.

Spellings are all over the place. Another figure form the time Andres Sunesen is spelled many different ways in different sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History