Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 03:19 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times

Advertisements

Prior to the 1970s, the large majority of school districts with large black populations all over the US had segregated schools. Forced busing in the 1970s and 1980s was intended to cure this ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:57 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This is where you have to talk to people that were living then. They say more Mexicans were European looking in the past, but even a "brown" Mexican was socially regarded as white just the same. Dark-skinned Mexicans were completely allowed in environments that were segregated and for whites only. My relatives from Texas all say that Mexicans were white.

There's also famous examples. I remember seeing a documentary on rock-and-roll star Ritchie Valens in the early 90's, and in it, several people were interviewed and asked if Ritchie, who toured in Texas and other places that were still segregated, was ever discriminated for his (hispanic)"race". They interviewed his girlfriend Donna, his manager, several friends, and all were confused by the question and said "No, he was white!".

His girlfriend Donna Ludwig was confused and shocked by the assertion that she had been in an interracial relationship, and said, "In those days, Mexicans were white! I always went to school with Mexicans!"

None of the people interviewed even knew what a "hispanic" was, saying "that's not what people were called then." and insisting that he was white.

Ritchie was not European looking, but that was white then.

They also mentioned in the documentary that Buddy Holly, one of the rock stars he traveled with, was married to a Puerto Rican. They also were not a mixed marriage. That was normal then.

I'd argue that this happened only after the concept of "hispanics" as minorities was promoted in the media. Elderly people who grew up going to school with Mexicans and other Latin-Americans during segregation swear that "Spanish people were just white".

It was different:
Number of Hispaniscs were far, far lower and most were white, Northern Mexicans, whites from Latin America, or just people that looked caucasian.
Take a look at actors, Mel Ferrer, etc.
All the fuzz began with the MASSIVE arrival of braceros, not from norteño culture.
Mexico was a very nice country back in the 50's, far beautiful than the States...but only 40 or so million inhabitants. Mexico City was a bliss.
Mexico exploded, they should have avoided that, from 30 to 120 in no time...and Mexicans went from a few in the US to millions and millions, and not northern caucasic lioking Mexicas, but more indigena.
The same thing happened in Mexico DF with the "paracaidistas", they transformed the most beatiful city in America in a Sci-Fi movie.

Last edited by karstic; 01-23-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Quote:
In Texas history, Mexicans were white. Always for all of American history - legally and socially.

Please read the links I posted regarding the Hispanic killed in WWII being denied a funeral in a "white" funeral home. Legally being classified as white on say a census record and being social accepted as white can be two totally different things- as that veteran's family found out.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-23-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
It depends on what state you're talking about. In the south, no schools were integrated.

They were probably colored then, not just the father but the mother too. They sound like a family that passed for white. There's no other way that she would have gone to school with African Americans.

What were the results of the DNA test?

That was normal. ALL Mexicans were considered white in those days, legally and socially. They didn't become minorities until the late 70s.

Plenty of elderly "hispanics" still see themselves as white. The whole "Latino/hispanic" concept is just the latest trend.

'No Mexicans Allowed:' School Segregation in the Southwest

Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Please read the links I posted regarding the Hispanic killed in WWII being denied a funeral in a "white" funeral home. Legally being classified as white on say a census record and being social accepted as white can be two totally different things- as that veteran's family found out.
Thanks for providing some additional context/sources. I think its clear that, while the Census generally referred to Mexicans as "white" for much of this country's history, this did not mean that Mexicans (particularly, Mexicans who were not of mostly-European descent) were treated as "white" as far as social norms go.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:30 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:

You can show picked examples of every ethnicity. 17 Italians were lynched in New Orleans in 1920, Irish were beaten dwn to death...etc.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thanks for providing some additional context/sources. I think its clear that, while the Census generally referred to Mexicans as "white" for much of this country's history, this did not mean that Mexicans (particularly, Mexicans who were not of mostly-European descent) were treated as "white" as far as social norms go.
Most people who are "white" today were not considered as such in previous generations. The Irish, Greeks, Italians, Jews, and various Eastern Europeans were not seen as "white" in this country in a societal way. They were seen as outsiders and unwanted immigrants who threatened America's culture same as immigrant groups are seen today.

After WW2 these ethnic European immigrants just became "white" for the most part. I know where I live the last group to be seen as "white" were the Polish. I actually have spoken to old white men (very old when I volunteered at nursing homes) who still talk negatively about "Pollocks" and how they considered them racially mixed and inferior.

Same was done to Mexican Americans in the SW but legally they were considered as "white" just like the Polish and Irish and Italians and Greeks and Jews were in the past. They faced social instead of legal discrimination and many times social discrimination/prejudice can be just as bad as the legalized version.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:16 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Most people who are "white" today were not considered as such in previous generations. The Irish, Greeks, Italians, Jews, and various Eastern Europeans were not seen as "white" in this country in a societal way. They were seen as outsiders and unwanted immigrants who threatened America's culture same as immigrant groups are seen today.

After WW2 these ethnic European immigrants just became "white" for the most part. I know where I live the last group to be seen as "white" were the Polish. I actually have spoken to old white men (very old when I volunteered at nursing homes) who still talk negatively about "Pollocks" and how they considered them racially mixed and inferior.

Same was done to Mexican Americans in the SW but legally they were considered as "white" just like the Polish and Irish and Italians and Greeks and Jews were in the past. They faced social instead of legal discrimination and many times social discrimination/prejudice can be just as bad as the legalized version.
While what you write is true, Europeans of Irish, Italian, Polish, still had it leaps and miles better compared to racial minorities in this country.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While what you write is true, Europeans of Irish, Italian, Polish, still had it leaps and miles better compared to racial minorities in this country.
Mexicans were *not* racial minorities. The social discrimination they often faced was more similar to what those white ethnic groups experienced.

That's what Mexicans, Cubans and other "Spanish" people were then. They were white ethnics, not distinguised from European nationality groups.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Please read the links I posted regarding the Hispanic killed in WWII being denied a funeral in a "white" funeral home.
That's an example of random defacto discrimination.

That same man, Felix Longoria, went to segregated white highschools in Texas, and fought in the white units of the army. Those are things that he would not have been able to do if he were a minority or a "person of color".

Racial minorities could not do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History