Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Your girlfriend is rare. I remember seeing an article in the news about 15 years ago that pantyhose makers were bemoaning the plight of their industry. Few women today buy them or use them.........
Hanes would disagree with you.
http://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/wome...:&pageSize:20&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek2017 View Post
Electric fuses are obsolete. Except in old houses that have never been updated, nearly all homes now use circuit breakers.
Have you looked at the inside of your car recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
..........eyeglasses. If you go to Walmart and see a whole rack of something in a dozen different styles, it's rather premature to ask "Do people still use" them. It's more likely that contact lenses will give way to Lasik.
The basic thing is that I am not going to take that kind of risk with my eyes. I don't care what kind of success rate they claim, I don't care what kind of benefit they say they can achieve; my eyesight is FAR FAR FAR too valuable to me to take that kind of risk. In a way, it is like allergy medicine. For all the benefits they promise, all those side effects they talk about in the small print guarantees that I would rather live with my allergies than ever take that junk.

I wear glasses most of the time; I wear my contacts when I'm performing. I scuba dive with my prescription ground into my mask.

Plus, there is another thing about contact lenses. Do an image search on "Crimson Fae" "Rachel" (a lot of corsets, so beware). I don't quite know what her natural eyes are like but in many of the pictures, it is obvious that there has been help with many a mood.

Now, on to the count down!

Okay, I bite! Why are
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
.........Whistling kettles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Hitching posts.

Rotary telephones (or any wired telephone for that matter).

Encyclopedias and almost - dictionaries.

Can openers (the triangular punch kind that were used for juice cans).
Nail pullers.
Scythes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Objects now obsolete
..........Blackboards
Running boards on cars
CB radios.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Shortwave radios......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
VCR tapes and players are obsolete. The last one was made sometime last year.
printed encyclopedias
Answering machines
pantyhose
postcards
privacy
obsolete? (stopped at page 3)

The thing is that just because one doesn't use them doesn't mean they are obsolete. Take the wrist watch, for example. Long story short, that smart phone isn't going to do me a bit of good when I'm under water. Further, I am thinking of getting a proper dive watch, an analog one, because I am having trouble reading digital through my corrective lens dive mask.
I get a kick that running boards for cars are obsolete. What do you think these are?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runnin...a_4-Runner.jpg

Can openers are obsolete? I knew they stopped making Swiss Army knives with cork screws but I think they still put can openers on them. If they do them for those, then the triangular ones are still good.

The thing about a CB radio as oppose to a cell phone is that with the cell phone, you are only one tower away from being without communications. Rather interesting that we are talking about such for today after I got my car back from major servicing, I noticed they had turned on my CB radio.

As far as Encyclopedias go, well to cut to the chase, we still have things like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/97807106321...0710632118/plp

The Internet is far from perfect and it is hardly the answer to everything. I keep "encyclopedias" around for two main reasons. First of all, as a published book, I am more assure the information is correct in a few flips of the the pages than anything on the net. Secondly, if one loses their link to the Net, good luck.

Wired phones? It is my most assured form of communication out in the country. I don't always get a signal of my cell phones. Answering machines? Let the telemarketers waste their time and talk to the machine. I don't have time for them nor to figure them all out for any do not call list. Equally, as that my comms are not assured, when I moved in, I did buy a short wave radio. It was not too hard to find at all.

https://www.rei.com/product/101541/c...FcO3wAodoOYBJg

Trying to figure out why one says pantyhose is obsolete.

Etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 04-11-2017 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 02:31 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Womens girdles..or roll ons

Toilet paper that was more like tracing paper

Transistor radios

Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
Ok, here I go:

I use a can opener for canned condensed milk (great in coffee)!
I have a typewriter I use at least once a year for something I have not figured out how to do on computer.
I do still have an old packet of carbon paper but it's a decade old and hasn't been used.

I have a whistle kettle I use when I make tea when we have the flu.

We have a line phone and we're in the phone book too.

My husband uses his nail pullers and his architectural and engineering scales.

I wear my watch on Sundays to time the minister. I leave my cell in the car when I go into church.

I do have panty hose but only wear them on very formal fussy affairs - almost never.

I have files backed up on floppy disk.

We use 1-ply toilet paper, thin because of our septic system.

I have a transistor radio to use in case of power outage / bad weather.

My cousin and I send each other letters, sometimes I write mine with my fountain pen. I have a nice Cross one.

I occasionally use a 3 or 4 column ledger pad, but these days most of my stuff is on spreadsheets. I still have a 14 column ledger I used before we computerized. The ledger was faster.

We occasionally use a disposable camera on the jobsite. I still often look in my encyclopedias.

I can't remember all the rest of the ones mentioned that others thought were obsolete that we still use. I guess the world is passing me by.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Ok, here I go:

I have a typewriter I use at least once a year for something I have not figured out how to do on computer.
I do still have an old packet of carbon paper but it's a decade old and hasn't been used.

I wear my watch on Sundays to time the minister. I leave my cell in the car when I go into church.

I do have panty hose but only wear them on very formal fussy affairs - almost never.

My cousin and I send each other letters, sometimes I write mine with my fountain pen. I have a nice Cross one.

I occasionally use a 3 or 4 column ledger pad, but these days most of my stuff is on spreadsheets. I still have a 14 column ledger I used before we computerized. The ledger was faster.

We occasionally use a disposable camera on the jobsite. I still often look in my encyclopedias.

I can't remember all the rest of the ones mentioned that others thought were obsolete that we still use. I guess the world is passing me by.
My husband's laptop won't accept CDs. Haven't owned a computer that you can insert floppies into in quite awhile.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Do you remember when the Post Office had quills and ink wells? The one on Byres Road certainly did and that is in my lifetime.

I remember using fountain pens at school and my fingers being covered in ink.
Well, I remember using stick pens and inkwells at school. Long ago. The teacher would distribute the wooden pen holders, then she came around with the nibs. We had to put the metal nibs into the pen and then dunk the pen into the inkwell. Scratchy scratch when we wrote. And if you pressed down too hard, the nib would split and your writing would be double.

No ballpoints or even fountain pens were allowed until we were about 12/13 years old. I guess they really wanted us to suffer. Suffer enough and then you'd be allowed to use a real pen. Even when we were finally allowed to use fountain pens, the ink would usually spill inside our desks. The inky fingers would also spread ink all over the paper. My papers always looked horrible.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Oh I don't think they will ever disappear entirely.

I don't think a grown man needs a watch to be respectable. I work for one of the largest companies in the world, and I would say the number of men I see with watches in meetings is maybe 50/50. This doesn't count things like fitbits which seem popular at my workplace. I don't think those contribute to a professional appearance. You also mention you are in Europe. I think in general European men pay more attention to fashion and appearance than American men.
I don't think they will either, especially now that there are smart watches. I can make a call from my wrist.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Womens girdles..or roll ons

Toilet paper that was more like tracing paper

Transistor radios
Yes, girdles were horrible. Toilet paper in the US was much like it is today but in the UK I heard it was like what you say. Sometimes in public restrooms it was like that too. Transistor radios--I loved those! Sort of like getting attached to your mobile phone today.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:53 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I remember using stick pens and inkwells at school. Long ago. The teacher would distribute the wooden pen holders, then she came around with the nibs. We had to put the metal nibs into the pen and then dunk the pen into the inkwell. Scratchy scratch when we wrote. And if you pressed down too hard, the nib would split and your writing would be double.

No ballpoints or even fountain pens were allowed until we were about 12/13 years old. I guess they really wanted us to suffer. Suffer enough and then you'd be allowed to use a real pen. Even when we were finally allowed to use fountain pens, the ink would usually spill inside our desks. The inky fingers would also spread ink all over the paper. My papers always looked horrible.
hahaha yes I rememeber it well.. I always made a mess and all the desks had old ink stains from years befores pupils who did the same.... Remember too we were allowed blotting paper but not all the time , cruel teachers haha..I did however have a Parker fountain pen that I loved, did you know no one else can write with your pen.. as the nib changed to suit the original writer..remember too the dusters for the blackboards with the wooden backs that would get thrown at some chatty pupil.. can you imagine that these days ..

Purple stuff think gensian violet they called it that the school nurse put on some kids if they had sores or whatever.. it was horrible..

Old 04-16-2017, 07:25 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
My multigreat grandparents were pioneers in EastTennessee US. Their little settlement was taken and included in the Great Smokies National Park. (Cade's Cove if you have been there).

A couple of summers ago I took my grandchildren there for a day trip. The kids loved it. My granddaughter loved the preserved cabins, one of which was an ancestor's. My grandson loved the old farm implements. And the water wheel stone gristmill intrigued them as the huge pieces turned one on another.

So we don't farm with wooden plows or stone grind our wheat and corn anymore. But those are my submission for items now obsolete

Old 04-16-2017, 09:08 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Ok, here I go:

The world hasn't passed you by so much as there are certain people who have no use for stuff others still use and enjoy.

Theoldnorthstate...though it may no longer be common, we have a grist mill nearby that still does business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History