Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times

Advertisements

I have tube amps still in use today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
conversation?

George Foreman grill

outhouses.
No way!!!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
On the way out:
Cemetaries
Watches.
Mechanical clocks.
Traffic lights.
Why would cemeteries become obsolete? Are people not dying anymore? I suppose it's possible that we will have such a revolutionary change in social mores that people will accept having their loved one's remains disposed of in some other way; but unless that happens, they've gotta go somewhere, and cemeteries are where they go. Now, if you count mausoleums as being separate and distinct from cemeteries, then maybe you'd be right.

As for watches, I don't understand the trend of using your phone to tell time. With a phone, you have to fish it out of your pocket or unclip it from its belt, raise it up to eye level, and activate it in some way. With a watch, you raise your arm and turn your wrist, and boom, you know what time it is.

And we will always need to have some kind of traffic-control devices, for people who chose not to let their cars do the driving for them, as well as for bicyclists, pedestrians, etc. Not to mention, traffic lights as metaphors (green means go, yellow means caution, red means stop) is so deeply ingrained that it would take well over a full generation to knock it out of us, even assuming that their functions as traffic-control devices could somehow be rendered obsolete tomorrow.

Now, for my contribution to this thread. It seems that secretaries -- and by that I mean women who typed up their boss' reports -- are obsolete. True, we still have "administrative assistants" who perform related but not identical tasks, but doesn't everyone type their own reports nowadays?

And for the transportation-minded among us, it seems that printed timetables have become obsolete. No U.S. airlines print them anymore (Southwest was the last holdout), and I think Amtrak has stopped printing theirs as well.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You are joking surely, some people cant hang out a washing.. mine is out the back garden just now and I use it on every dry day there is.. love hanging them out, they smell so good.. and I hardly ever use the tumble drier.
When the weather is nice, I can drive into town and you can lose count of the houses that have clothes hanging out. Why use power if you dont have too. That practice wont be going away any time soon.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:14 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Speaking of secretaries - does anyone know how to do shorthand anymore?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:19 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
I am getting a little concerned about photos... With technology as it is now, rare is to get photos " printed".. They are saved on devices... Devices, that as we know, quickly becomes obsolete.

As one that loves to look at old photos- to be able to show " wow- our house really looked like in the 1850's then again in the 1940's etc- what will happen in say 40 years.. Will people even have photo albums? Or will all the childhood photos etc be stuck on some obsolete phone.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:21 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Polaroid camera
slide projector
overhead projector
rabbit-ear antenna
handwritten letters
post cards
full-size spare tire - and the knowledge and inclination to change a flat tire
printed maps
manual transmission
tire gauge
the ability to parallel park
rearview mirror (yeah, they're still there, but it seems like all vehicles have those ridiculous backup cameras and bumper-mounted sensors nowadays)

Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Shortwave radios. At one time especially in the 30's and 40's this was one of the only means of global electronic communication. Every respectable home in America at the time had a large console radio with a shortwave capacity.
These are still available. I think they're made in China now by obscure companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

4. Turntables are making a comeback. I wouldn't even be surprised if some hipster didn't start marketing them under the Victrola brand.
Analog brings out the nuances of audio more than digital CDs do.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Remember this sound? Nearly everything I have from this era doesn't work on my Win 8.1 desktop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

Old 04-07-2017, 06:11 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And for the transportation-minded among us, it seems that printed timetables have become obsolete. No U.S. airlines print them anymore (Southwest was the last holdout), and I think Amtrak has stopped printing theirs as well.
I still saw stacks of them at 30th Street Station Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago. Even picked one up But I saw inconsistencies in the printed copy that would have gotten someone fired from the Official Guide back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History