Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 09:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

The greatest lie is that God exist. Nobody has a single proof. I can prove to you there's nothing out there but gas, rocks, and empty space.

Even if God does exist, why does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
As The Thread runs amok....

Old 04-24-2017, 08:01 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
As The Thread runs amok....
That already happened back on the first page. It struck me as the inevitable outcome of posing the question. I expected that everyone with any sort of agenda would check in claiming that some calumny directed against their particular creed represents the biggest, or worst, or greatest lie in all of recorded history.

And they have.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:30 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The European Medieval period being "the dark ages" is probably the most common misconception.
^^^ This x100

Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That already happened back on the first page. It struck me as the inevitable outcome of posing the question. I expected that everyone with any sort of agenda would check in claiming that some calumny directed against their particular creed represents the biggest, or worst, or greatest lie in all of recorded history.

And they have.
Rate up.

I thought this thread might be interesting. I thought people might be discussing Napoleon, the Kaiser or Hitler or even Vietnam. But in just the first two pages, a Russian comrade blaming the US atomic bombing of Japan as starting the Cold War and US Imperialism. An attack on religion but only Christianity mind you.

Typical just typical.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Please site your sources. One website: Hiroshima: Quotes quotes McArthur on page 512 of American Caesar. The real quote on page 512 warns of the lesson of Hiroshima, nothing more.

Fortunately paper copies are not subject to revision. This calls the remainder of the quotes on that web site into question.
You're entitled to throw out all of the quotes on that page because of issues with one citation. No one here has time to track down "paper copies" to verify all quotations, not to mention putting everything in context.

What should be clear from the entirety of the research available today is the issue is not as black and white as you make it out to be, and that it is all military necessity and that political considerations played no part in the decision to drop the bomb.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 AM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
OK. Here is an outright lie that every citizen thinks he knows:
Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

It's a lie.
In the first place, when the fire broke in out 64 CE, the record clearly shows that Nero was not in Rome. He rushed back to assist, and many citizens reported being startled when they realized the man helping was the emperor himself.
In the second place, the violin had not been invented yet. It came along in the 1500's, although versions of the violin were used in the 12th century.

As in modern times, there was finger pointing and accusations. Nero blamed the fire on Christians, Nero's opponents blamed it on him, saying he wanted the real estate for a new palace and so forth.
Ha! And we thought political backbiting was only recently invented!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
I'd nominate something like "All men are created equal" or "Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!"

Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Going out of business sales.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:13 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
You're entitled to throw out all of the quotes on that page because of issues with one citation. No one here has time to track down "paper copies" to verify all quotations, not to mention putting everything in context.
Now wait a minute. I don't have any of the other books quoted. The one book that I did have disputes the quote. This raises doubt about the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
What should be clear from the entirety of the research available today is the issue is not as black and white as you make it out to be, and that it is all military necessity and that political considerations played no part in the decision to drop the bomb.
We've gone from important people having their doubts to a debate over military necessity vs. political considerations. I submit this to you. If the bombs were never used, every American life that would have been lost would have been unnecessary. This doesn't include the millions of Japanese that would have been spared.

There is no room for debate here. The enormity of the number of lives that it saved cuts off debate. Back in WW 1 Pershing wanted to go all the way to Berlin. The conditional surrender of the Germans in WW 1 brought on WW 2. The Germans were tired of war but not psychologically beaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History