Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 12:39 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
"Just the tip"
I promise to withdraw....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
I notice all your items are of a liberal thought process. Well here is an item from my point of you. That if we implement affirmative action and welfare and other subsidies in this country, that the beneficiaries of said benefits will pull themselves up by their bootstraps and take care of themselves.

The vast overwhelming majority of African-American have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and are taking care of themselves. What do you think that the vast majority of African Americans are on entitlement programs and Welfare?

Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I think a great lie of history is that Jesus did not look like that...

The biggest lie in history was that Jesus Christ was a Caucasian white European with blue eyes and blonde hair.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The biggest lie in history was that Jesus Christ was a Caucasian white European with blue eyes and blonde hair.
Already discussed. Jesus has been portrayed as African, Chinese, Nordic, etc to fit the geographical area where Christianity is introduced.
In Mexico, Mary is portrayed as a Mexican girl (they actually have an entire church devoted to that).

Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I'm an optimist, I like to think that history's biggest lie has yet to be told.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:04 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Where have the established capitalist oligarchies given it (Marxist economics)a chance to work, before strangling it and crushhing its seeds?
Then it appears North Korea is your best example of the workers’ paradise.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The vast overwhelming majority of African-American have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and are taking care of themselves. What do you think that the vast majority of African Americans are on entitlement programs and Welfare?
That's not accurate, Howest. According to US Census statistics, at 12.6 percent of the population Black people participate at a rate of 41.6 percent of welfare programs. Do the math.

I place no value judgment on that. Welfare is exactly intended to help people "pull themselves up by their bootstraps." Just like to see people be able to back up their opinions with fact.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Well I think you need to separate the ideology of Christianity from Christians themselves. I grew up Methodist but attended Catholic mass, Baptist, Episcopalian, Community, and other churches. I always found the people in general to be highly hypocritical, judgemental, and busy bee gossipers; hence stopped going.

I never "believed" or had "faith" but did enjoy the music and stories. Being an adult I still attend occasionally and do have a bible that I read from time to time. I treat it more as a complex well written set of chronological bedtime stories. When read not to be taken literally but be entertained and takeaway large important life lessons for personal application. Almost the world's first self help guide if you will.

Now separating that if you view what the christian church specifically Catholicism has done as an institution is bastardize, monopolize, and capitalize on selling salvation to poor uneducated folks. Recently the sex abuse and other various scandals just adds another log to the fire. It's no different from the other major religions that leverage eternity and salvation to control & monetize their followers. It's big business to sell souls!

As to the boldfaced quotes of yours above:

Absolutely and postively true . . . no ifs, ands, or buts. But organized religion at-large (most particularly the types that promote the concept of heaven and hell and similar or analogous concepts to that) are not just succumbed to by the "poor uneducated folks" (as you chose to phrase it). Apparently, many other of our fellow humans who are rather educated and even those that are very well educated and not "poor" succumb to and are held captive to these ideas as well. It is rather perplexing how gullible some of our fellow humans can be . . . that they honestly think that any of their other fellow humans (of the past OR of the presdent) are truly equipped to truly know any more about the nature of our reality than they are. Like what would equp ANY of us to truly know anything definitive about such things? Nothing. But then I must admit that I myself was, for a stretch of life, one of them myself. I swallowed the nonsense. I had to come to my senses after a time and see it for what it was: utterly human-concocted.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
JFK's legacy. He was a real idiot. He he paid for the coup against President Diem of South Vietnam that doomed out efforts and 58,000 American GI's.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
JFK's legacy. He was a real idiot. He he paid for the coup against President Diem of South Vietnam that doomed out efforts and 58,000 American GI's.
I won't challenge that, but I will offer up Teddy Roosevelt, who waged war in the Philippines. After Spain ceded The Philippines to America in 1899, the Filipinos balked. They wanted to be independent!

Teddy would have none of that and in the next 3 years 4000 American servicemen died and 20,000 Filipino soldiers died. Add that to the 200,000civilians who died in the melee, and you some significant suffering. But what the heck, Teddy got his colony and that was the main thing.
I am not a Teddy R fan.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1899-1913/war
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History