U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
10,618 posts, read 3,775,731 times
Reputation: 15895

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Left vague on purpose, as I do not exactly known what the greatest lie is.

Is it slavery? Moon landing? The cover-up of genocide on Native Americans, then using their names for everything a large Cheesequake etc?

Discuss.
It was what we were taught when growing-up, that girls and women were not interested in sex and were repulsed by the thought of it. There used to be entire articles published in the Reader's Digest and other magazines, trying to anchor this idea into the minds of young men. They also tried to get us to think that women never wanted us to see any part of their bodies. The saddest part of all this, was that most of the young women were also induced into thinking it was true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 PM
 
Location: WA
878 posts, read 538,390 times
Reputation: 2693
The biggest lie is that there is an entity that cares what happens to us in this life individually or as a species. The second biggest is that there's an afterlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,587,835 times
Reputation: 32398
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
..as they occurred to me:



The Virgin Birth of Christ

Columbus 'discovering' America

African people are sub-human

The Lusitania wasn't carrying munitions for England--and thus wasn't a legitimate target of the German sub that sank her.

The Spanish sunk the Maine.

Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

An Alien ship crashed and the body of an alien is somewhere in Area 51.

Let's have fun with this...add your own!
There is no lie involved in the statement that Columbus discovered America, because that statement does not in any way imply that America was uninhabited at the time. Rather, the discovery was made for the consciousness and world view of the Europeans, who did not previously know of the existence of this "New World", just as the natives of the American continents did not know about the "Old World". It is analogous to saying, "I discovered a new restaurant", which is not a lie at all if you and your friends and family did not previously know of that restaurant.

The discovery of America by Colombus was the first important step in the creation of a true world view (a knowledge of the actual distribution and location of the world's land masses) among the people of both the Old World and the New World.

The fact that some Vikings had probably made the same discovery a considerable time before Columbus is irrelevant because the knowledge of the Viking find had not been distributed to others. That would be analogous to some astronomer discovering Pluto before Clyde Tombaugh but keeping it to himself. Tombaugh gets the credit because his discovery was the one which announced the existence of Pluto to the scientific world and hence to the public generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,587,835 times
Reputation: 32398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Q: What is History's greatest lie?

A: The idea that this train-wreck of a thread is actually about history?
That's a good one! Funny but sadly true at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Twin Falls Idaho
5,003 posts, read 1,982,615 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
There is no lie involved in the statement that Columbus discovered America, because that statement does not in any way imply that America was uninhabited at the time. Rather, the discovery was made for the consciousness and world view of the Europeans, who did not previously know of the existence of this "New World", just as the natives of the American continents did not know about the "Old World". It is analogous to saying, "I discovered a new restaurant", which is not a lie at all if you and your friends and family did not previously know of that restaurant.

The discovery of America by Colombus was the first important step in the creation of a true world view (a knowledge of the actual distribution and location of the world's land masses) among the people of both the Old World and the New World.

The fact that some Vikings had probably made the same discovery a considerable time before Columbus is irrelevant because the knowledge of the Viking find had not been distributed to others. That would be analogous to some astronomer discovering Pluto before Clyde Tombaugh but keeping it to himself. Tombaugh gets the credit because his discovery was the one which announced the existence of Pluto to the scientific world and hence to the public generally.
The Vikings were not really my point...To have discovered somewhere...one must know where they are. Columbus thought he was on his way to China, and was in India..hence the term 'Indians'?

Since Columbus got no closer to North America than Puerto Rico---I don't give him a lot of credit.

But the subject is lies..and the 'fact' that we were taught in school..that of Columbus discovering America--absent some semantics twisting..is false. By your logic..I could go to some city..on my way to some other city, and claim to have 'discovered it' since I'd never been there before.

Your point that Columbus's voyages opened the door of South America to Spain--leading to settlements in North America, is of course, true...as is the point about a truer world view..over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 AM
 
16,222 posts, read 8,714,144 times
Reputation: 8360
History can't lie. People can only lie about history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM
 
53,929 posts, read 48,737,493 times
Reputation: 16786
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
a fact is just a theory that hasnt been proven wrong yet
Wrong. A fact is a theory proven to be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM
 
698 posts, read 557,153 times
Reputation: 974
"Nero fiddled while Rome burned."

I think most people consider that to be in the same category as the belief about Mrs. O'Leary's cow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
14,373 posts, read 13,930,242 times
Reputation: 23356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Fear of the overcrowding of the Earth is a very "American" cultural hang-up. Most people in the world don't live in a country of 330 million that is 4% of the global population but consumes 25% of global resources in which 75% of these people are scattered in low density suburbs or rural areas. Never fear there is plenty more carrying capacity on the Planet Earth:

World overpopulation wouldn’t be such a big problem (space-wise, at least) if everyone lived as densely as they do in South Korea or New Jersey

Now if any other country within two standard deviations of the American population (such as China, India, Indonesia, or Brazil) all of a sudden develop identical consumptive habits of Americans, then yes, the planet is screwed.

Not sure if overcrowding constitutes a lie of history but certainly a myth.
"There's plenty of room," is certainly a candidate for one of the biggest current lies. In fact, most of the damage is being done in densely populated regions of the planet. South India had the most varied ecology on the planet only a century ago, and it is all gone now, reduced to a few poorly maintained parks being destroyed by starving hordes. Central America is going the same way, and the Amazon has been cleared for agriculture so much that the rainfall patterns are changing. The planet is dying before our eyes, and people are still passing around the lie that overpopulation can be dealt with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 07:05 PM
 
1,021 posts, read 2,000,451 times
Reputation: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
"There's plenty of room," is certainly a candidate for one of the biggest current lies. In fact, most of the damage is being done in densely populated regions of the planet. South India had the most varied ecology on the planet only a century ago, and it is all gone now, reduced to a few poorly maintained parks being destroyed by starving hordes. Central America is going the same way, and the Amazon has been cleared for agriculture so much that the rainfall patterns are changing. The planet is dying before our eyes, and people are still passing around the lie that overpopulation can be dealt with.
How incorrect you are my friend. The environmental degradation you speak of has absolutely NOTHING to do with destruction by starving hordes and everything to do with "extractive capitalism" (i.e. diverse ecosystems, mainly forests, are torn apart to either raise crops/livestock exclusively for export, get to the minerals underneath the surface to mine for export, or flat-out selling the timber to industrial/post industrial countries that eradicated their own forests generations ago):

Colonialism and the Environment
in India: Railways and Deforestation
in 19th Century Punjab


Deforestation in Brazil increased 30% in 12 months, agency says


Drug trafficking is speeding deforestation in Central America

TROPICAL DEFORESTATION AND FOREST DEGRADATION: A CASE STUDY FROM INDIA

The hordes you refer to as "starving" are starving not because food cannot be grown in their arable lands, it is because they don't own or control the land and anything of worth grown on/produced from these arable lands are exported for profits that these "hordes" don't stand a chance to benefit from. Accordingly despite the massive amounts of food (and narcotics) produced on these lands, the "hordes" cannot afford them because the demand from the developed world (notably Americans) outstrip the supply thus driving up prices. The wheels of destruction have their axles greased from the outside.

As I stated in my initial post, it is the fact that this largely landless peasantry CANNOT elevate themselves with the profits from these commodities (thus having the wealth to assume the consumptive habits of Americans) that keeps their national disasters from becoming global calamities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top