U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM
 
11,517 posts, read 5,087,285 times
Reputation: 13010

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The biggest lie of the modern era is that Israel is our friend, that we should support them, give them money and equipment, back them diplomatically, and send our young me off to die on their behalf in order to destabilize the surrounding region for them.

Of course that support is 100% emotional. People, especially American Christians, and especially evangelicals, have been suckered into having that emotional connection which did not exist for nineteen and a half centuries of Christian history.

Objectively there's no reason we should support a country that's just as crazy, offensive, racist, xenophobic, and militaristic as North Korea.
I hesitate to mention religion, so as to not give the religion and Christian bashers more of an excuse to lay all the problems of the world on it.
However, this point you bring up does have some truth to it.
I am not saying this because I do not believe we should support Israel, just the opposite in fact. Regardless of religion, they are one of the few stable democracies in the ME. That area of the world has a strategic significance if chaos ever ensued (i.e. massive natural disaster, world war, etc.)
However, from a religious standpoint, modern Christian doctrine seems to support the Jews just from a "chosen people perspective". This despite significant differences between the Old Testament and the New.
Yet as you point out, this is a new phenomenon from a historical perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
I notice all your items are of a liberal thought process. Well here is an item from my point of you. That if we implement affirmative action and welfare and other subsidies in this country, that the beneficiaries of said benefits will pull themselves up by their bootstraps and take care of themselves.
I also noticed that about the poster you referred to.

Your points to them about things conservatives might see that liberals are blind to, will probably fall of deaf ears. This is because those programs are designed to keep the minorities enslaved with dependence on government, in exchange for a bumper crop of votes.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 AM
 
4,673 posts, read 8,430,933 times
Reputation: 6951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I was thinking to ask you the same
Why ask me? Why not ask the person who thinks it's a lie? I asked the question because it irks me that often people say something is a lie but provide no alternative or insight to counter the lie.

It be would so much more interesting if posters explain why they think something is a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 09:43 AM
 
2,789 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Reputation: 2106
One of the biggest lies being told today is something I call "Latino Historical Revisionism". I've spoken about it so often here that I probably sound like a broken record.

In recent years, now that we have a large "Hispanic/Latino" ethnic group, lots of people are attempting to write American history projecting the "hispanic/latino" concept onto the past, and they're creating all manner of historical myths and fantasies that are completely untrue:

- Pretending that the notion of "hispanic/latino" ethnicity existed - even though nobody before the 80s would have even known what that was.

- They are completely rewriting the history of Texas and the south west pretending that Mexicans and other "Spanish origin" people were minorities.

- Denying that Mexicans were white.

- They are rewriting civil rights history fabricating "Latino" contributions, even though most Mexican or other "Spanish-origin" organizations were saying that they were white and wanted nothing to do with the civil rights movement at the time. Mexicans were actually segregationists that did more to fight against the civil rights movement than anything else.

- Claiming that "Latinos" were subject to the same or similar discrimination that black Americans faced before the civil rights movement.

- Ignoring and/or covering up Mexican or Spanish complicity in Jim Crow and the racism of the day. People will have you believe that the Spanish were a "downtrodden" minority group, when in reality they were the perpetrators of racism.

I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 09:49 AM
 
2,125 posts, read 1,584,081 times
Reputation: 3482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Left vague on purpose, as I do not exactly known what the greatest lie is.

Is it slavery? Moon landing? The cover-up of genocide on Native Americans, then using their names for everything a large Cheesequake etc?

Discuss.

The greatest lie in history centers around ideas such as this: that socialism or communism is an alternative economic system to capitalism. And that one is inevitably bad and/or dying out and the other is good and utopian.

"Capitalism" itself is a label that really means nothing and everything... depending on what the purveyors of the aforementioned myth want it to mean at any given time and situation. Always for their advantage of course. Words like "socialism" are also abused or misunderstood, becoming relativistic to whatever is politically expedient at a particular time and place for the cause of "revolution".

In reality, there is only one form of human economic behavior. The options for change are actually in the forms of SOCIAL REGULATION of economic behavior, not in the economic behavior itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM
 
Location: AZ
723 posts, read 484,178 times
Reputation: 3092
The biggest lie has always been that from a teenage boy in the backseat of a car whispering to a girl "I love you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
46,544 posts, read 20,006,172 times
Reputation: 20383
That we are just one more massacre away from establishing paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 01:28 PM
 
3,206 posts, read 2,001,862 times
Reputation: 8492
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The biggest lie of the modern era is that Israel is our friend, that we should support them, give them money and equipment, back them diplomatically, and send our young me off to die on their behalf in order to destabilize the surrounding region for them.

Of course that support is 100% emotional. People, especially American Christians, and especially evangelicals, have been suckered into having that emotional connection which did not exist for nineteen and a half centuries of Christian history.

Objectively there's no reason we should support a country that's just as crazy, offensive, racist, xenophobic, and militaristic as North Korea.
Even if everything you say is true (no comment), do you really think the Muslim world would burst forth in clover & unicorns of peace? What positive effect do you think it would have on world peace if Israel ceased to exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Maui No Ka 'Oi
1,286 posts, read 1,125,721 times
Reputation: 1708
The construct of "TIME".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 01:48 PM
 
2,960 posts, read 1,775,139 times
Reputation: 6440
Trickle down economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2017, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
46,544 posts, read 20,006,172 times
Reputation: 20383
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
The construct of "TIME".
I might agree but you need to explain what you mean. Is it that time is actually circular rather than our perception of linear progression? Is it that time is an artificial human invention which means nothing to the universe? Is it that your watch stopped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top