Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 06:32 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
Just because we have never been told that WMD were found in Iraq, doesn’t mean that they didn’t exist or that Bush lied to us about it. Saddam was executed for using WMD on his own people so.... there is no doubt that WMD were definitely there.

Saddam Hussein used WMD extensively during the Iran-Iraq War (1980-88), both against Iranian troops and against his own people.

However, you are conflating two issues. The Iraq War of 2003 was not predicated on the fact that Iraq had once (in the 1980s) possessed chemical weapons. It was based on the idea that Iraq in 2003 possessed, and I quote, 'vast stockpiles' of WMD. It was based on bogus (as understood pre-war by U.S. intelligence) reports that Iraq had tried to purchase uranium yellowcake from Niger. It was based on bogus 'mobile bioweapons labs' that were, in fact, British-built hydrogen generators that had no utility whatsoever in making biological weapons. It was based on bogus claims that certain aluminum tubing Iraq had acquired was for centrifuges to be used on uranium refinement when, in fact, the IAEA was pointing out that the tubes had no such utility. It was based on claims made by the agent Curveball, who had already given the British and German governments so many demonstrably-false claims that both London and Berlin were urgently warning Washington not to believe anything he said.

Never was the excuse that Iraq had used chemical weapons in the 1980s put forth as a rationale for the 2003 war.

And keep clinging to that whole "Maybe there really were vast stockpiles of WMD laying all over Iraq and somehow we just never managed to find them! We found Saddam! We found Osama! Both were living people who were mobile! But we couldn't find heaping piles of tons and tons of inert stuff that would be difficult to move! Still, that means nothing!" idea. It's nonsense, but apparently it makes you feel better.

PS - None of these points makes this load of nonsense about Iraqi WMD in 2003 one of 'history's greatest lies'. In the sweep of history, it's pretty minor. Yet still, colossally wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
The lie that has best served the chroniclers of history is "Obedience is a Virtue".

Old 10-31-2019, 10:44 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Lies everywhere, politicians, preachers, weather forecasters and car salesmen.
I'm tired of all these lies.
I think I'll lie down for awhile. zzzzz

Old 11-06-2019, 03:53 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Lies everywhere, politicians, preachers, weather forecasters and car salesmen.
I'm tired of all these lies.
I think I'll lie down for awhile. zzzzz
Man was not constructed to handle the truth, thus the lies of politicians and preachers. And then there's deception which is a cousin to lying.

And, what we hate the most in others, we oftentimes see in ourselves.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:19 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
"Lie, lie, lie" - The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel, 1970.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
"Lie, lie, lie" - The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel, 1970.
Actually it's "Lie la lie, lie la la la lie lie" as in meaningless wordless lyrical fill-ins (Simon meant to put lyrics in for that part, but didn't have anything to add, so he just let it be, could have just as well been "da da da daaa da da da daaa"). Has nothing to do with "lies" as a theme except as an internal struggle with self-perception, loneliness, and lack of success . Great song, I love these lyrics:

I have squandered my resistance
For a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

OK back to the topic.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:30 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
How about Custer being a hero? He was an idiot.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Actually it's "Lie la lie, lie la la la lie lie" as in meaningless wordless lyrical fill-ins (Simon meant to put lyrics in for that part, but didn't have anything to add, so he just let it be, could have just as well been "da da da daaa da da da daaa"). Has nothing to do with "lies" as a theme except as an internal struggle with self-perception, loneliness, and lack of success . Great song, I love these lyrics:

I have squandered my resistance
For a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

OK back to the topic.
Does anyone know The Boxer's extra verse: Begins with "well the years are rollin' by me they are rockin' evenly...."? If anyone wants I'll email the MP3.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
How about Custer being a hero? He was an idiot.
But his sidekick Colonel Sheridan was no idiot.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Does anyone know The Boxer's extra verse: Begins with "well the years are rollin' by me they are rockin' evenly...."? If anyone wants I'll email the MP3.
I read it in wiki:
Now the years are rolling by me—
They are rockin' evenly.
I am older than I once was,
And younger than I'll be.
That's not unusual;
No, it isn't strange:
After changes upon changes
We are more or less the same;
After changes we are more or less the same.

I wonder why he left it out of the studio version?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History