Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times

Advertisements

Saw that there was a review of it by Jason Colavito:

Review of: Roanoke Search for the Lost Colony

From the review in regards to the topic of the show:
Quote:
the Vieira brothers presented a 2-hour special about the Dare Stones, a 1930s hoax that claimed that the lost colonists of Roanoke decamped for Georgia. If there is one thing History loves more than recycling hosts, it’s recycling the same few subjects over and over again.
If all of this sounds familiar, it’s because H2’s America Unearthed did an episode on the Dare Stones a few seasons back, and I wrote about all of the reasons that the Dare Stones are obvious fakes back then
I personally don't like the History channel and think they should change their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 02:54 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I suspect that this was largely prompted by The History Channel, which has a penchant for airing programming that makes mountains of out molehills and while blaming faux-mountains on extraterrestrials. Simply put, the phrase "According to The History Channel..." doesn't carry much weight here.

Anyway, the whole mystery of Roanoke has never seemed all that mysterious to me.

Over three decades later came the Pilgrims - and in less than a year, more than half of those who had set sail from England were dead. It simply doesn't strike me as any great surprise that, three decades prior, a similarly-sized group either all died in a three-year span, or were decimated to the point that a small group picked up and left to ultimately be either subsumed into the native population without a trace or to establish another settlement where they all died and the remnants of which would be completely consumed by the wilderness in the many years it took for that particular area to again be reached by Europeans. There fate is unknown certainly but hardly inexplicable or mysterious.
First off, I never said anything about "according to The History Channel". I simply asked if anyone had watched the program last Sunday night and I found it fascinating.

I know all about the first winter the Pilgrims spent in Plimoth, as they called it. I "assumed" if the seven were not killed, they assimilated. The "Dare Stone" is what intrigues me and apparently people a heck of a lot smarter than I.

To those who are interested in the story, may I suggest just asking Google for the story. I did that after I watched the program. Happy learning some of our country's history!

Old 05-10-2017, 03:11 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Saw that there was a review of it by Jason Colavito:

Review of: Roanoke Search for the Lost Colony

From the review in regards to the topic of the show:

I personally don't like the History channel and think they should change their name.
Anything that ruffles academia's feathers is fine in my book. Academia is usually agenda driven when it comes to history, archaeology and anthropology and they need to quit acting like they know everything when they certainly don't. Also I believe some things have been covered up and/or intentionally dismissed.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Anything that ruffles academia's feathers is fine in my book. Academia is usually agenda driven when it comes to history, archaeology and anthropology and they need to quit acting like they know everything when they certainly don't. Also I believe some things have been covered up and/or intentionally dismissed.
Eh, IMO too many people politicize science and history professionals. Professionalism and intellectual review from an historical perspective entails going with facts/theories that can be or are thoroughly reviewed and a consensus is reached that said fact/theory is true or research continues while people publish/share their findings.

There is nothing wrong with speculation, but for speculation to be taken seriously, it should always be questioned and reviewed by other people in that particular field. For me - that questioning is VERY important and it is important to narrow down the truth from fiction. In today's world especially it is sad that so many people are willing to believe any and everything by anyone who says they are some sort of expert. The people in that show don't know much about anthropology or archeology according to what I read about the show (not just specific to the blog I posted). They do not have a background in anthropological or archeological research so I would not consider their opinion as something that should be seriously delved into since they have no credentials in either field to back their assertions. Also, the Dare Stones are not something that was unknown or is some sort of continued conspiratorial mystery. They have been studied and other people in those fields have reviewed them (there are multiple stones) and We should not just believe things because it is on TV. I would trust someone in academia versus someone's video or TV show because they - academics - are always questioned. Everyone in academia does not agree on everything and there is a burden of proof that is always in the face of someone who is a professional in anthropology or archeology so I would believe those people versus some video/TV host.

From info I've read about these stones there is no definitive consensus even by academia. Most do believe they are fake, just because so many have turned up. But there has never been any definitive proof that the first one is, though many believe it is a 50/50 chance that they are fake. People are still studying them and reviewing them and they are held by Brenau University who has quite a few articles/sources about them and their history:

The Dare Stones

Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Eh, IMO too many people politicize science and history professionals. Professionalism and intellectual review from an historical perspective entails going with facts/theories that can be or are thoroughly reviewed and a consensus is reached that said fact/theory is true or research continues while people publish/share their findings.

There is nothing wrong with speculation, but for speculation to be taken seriously, it should always be questioned and reviewed by other people in that particular field. For me - that questioning is VERY important and it is important to narrow down the truth from fiction. In today's world especially it is sad that so many people are willing to believe any and everything by anyone who says they are some sort of expert. The people in that show don't know much about anthropology or archeology according to what I read about the show (not just specific to the blog I posted). They do not have a background in anthropological or archeological research so I would not consider their opinion as something that should be seriously delved into since they have no credentials in either field to back their assertions. Also, the Dare Stones are not something that was unknown or is some sort of continued conspiratorial mystery. They have been studied and other people in those fields have reviewed them (there are multiple stones) and We should not just believe things because it is on TV. I would trust someone in academia versus someone's video or TV show because they - academics - are always questioned. Everyone in academia does not agree on everything and there is a burden of proof that is always in the face of someone who is a professional in anthropology or archeology so I would believe those people versus some video/TV host.

From info I've read about these stones there is no definitive consensus even by academia. Most do believe they are fake, just because so many have turned up. But there has never been any definitive proof that the first one is, though many believe it is a 50/50 chance that they are fake. People are still studying them and reviewing them and they are held by Brenau University who has quite a few articles/sources about them and their history:

The Dare Stones
Brenau has proved all the Dare Stones to be fake except the first one. They were in the process of investigating it at the end of the season. The brothers Viera never claimed to be anything but what they are...stone cutters and rock nerds. They have just been hired to do the show and being such, are very excited and involved in the pursuit of truth to an age long question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History