Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 03:46 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-Ronin View Post
Haiti had a slave revolt that created that country, and most of the rest of the world had banned slavery, years before the U.S.
The Texas Revolution and joining the US was at its base about Slavery that had been banned in Mexico, and by breaking with Mexico and becoming part of the US they could keep their slaves.
A gross simplification of the Texas Revolution - Mexico, particularly Santa Anna when he overthrew the government, didn't really care that Texans had slaves and Texans simply ignored the law with impunity...but I guess that's what they teach in schools nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:42 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Slavery was abolished in the United States 152 years ago. Isn't it time to move on? I'm a second generation American on one side and third on the other. Nobody in my family was in the United States when slavery was around. This is a country of immigrants and there has been much more immigration post slavery then pre slavery so I would guess 50-75% of the people here don't have any roots in the country that go back 150 years. Don't forget history but as long as everyone wants to cling to it as a reason that their life sucks then we'll never move forward as a human race

Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 PM

12,958 posts, read 13,673,944 times
A better discussion is what are we going to be judged harshly on 150 years from today?

Old 08-25-2017, 06:55 PM

760 posts, read 768,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
With so many people lately discussing slavery in the U.S in relation to the founders and confederates I think many may be losing sight of the fact that the whole western hemisphere shares a similar history.
Perhaps, but WE were the ones who made it a huge INDUSTRY like auctioning off cattle!

Old 08-25-2017, 09:51 PM

322 posts, read 286,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
None of them kept slavery for 400 years. Except Bulgaria, where they kept Romani enslaved until well into the late 1800s. Romani are still reviled throughout Europe to this day as some sort of subhuman criminal separate species.

So when some Euro psuedo-intellectual brings up race relations in the US, all I have to do is say "Romani" - and in nothing flat I'm on the receiving end of a torrent of abusive language about "Gypsies" (a pejorative term for Romani).

Then I ask "How is that different from the way you accuse us of treating black people?" And of course they've got a million excuses for why Romani really ARE subhuman trash that should be exterminated. Exactly the same baseless excuses white people have traditionally used here for why its OK to keep black people repressed and mistreated here in the USA.

It makes me sick to my stomach. Go back 100 years in the US - how we treated black people back then is how they treat Romani today all across Europe. Segregation, no job opportunities, intermarriage considered "miscegenation". They actually paid bounties in some places for killing Romani men - and eventually expanded that program to include adult women as well. Stealing their children and sending them to "state schools" like we did with the Native Americans. Burning them out of their homes - and burning them IN their homes. Lots of present day hatred directed at Romani all throughout Europe.

So the answer (partly) is - nowhere in Europe did they enslave black people the way we did, but consider the way they treat the Romani. That's a valid comparison.

And the upshot of that situation is that they pretty much universally treat Romani worse than we treat black/brown people today, with Moslems running a distant second for most-hated minority in Europe.
Was not aware of all of this but thank you for sharing! I'll have to do more research on this topic. Very sad. I've always heard that the Romani are hated and oppressed in Europe.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:53 PM

322 posts, read 286,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Slavery was abolished in the United States 152 years ago. Isn't it time to move on? I'm a second generation American on one side and third on the other. Nobody in my family was in the United States when slavery was around. This is a country of immigrants and there has been much more immigration post slavery then pre slavery so I would guess 50-75% of the people here don't have any roots in the country that go back 150 years. Don't forget history but as long as everyone wants to cling to it as a reason that their life sucks then we'll never move forward as a human race
As someone who isn't black, I don't think you should attempt to tell people to get over anything. Especially when slavery still has results and consequences today for African Americans and US society. As someone who hasn't felt the effects you shouldn't be telling people to get over anything. Do you tell Jews to get over the Holocaust?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Perhaps, but WE were the ones who made it a huge INDUSTRY like auctioning off cattle!
70% of slaves in the americas went to South America.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:11 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Slavery is alive and well in a large percent of the world today. Have a look:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cd7d83a7d2bb

For crying out loud, how can anyone look at that map and carry on endlessly about our historical errors?

Old 08-26-2017, 02:45 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Do you not think Britain"s control of India was in fact at some level slavery? Even in Wales and Ireland one could argue that England forced the inhabitants into slavery.
Where do Americans get this view that the English were treat any better than the Irish, Scots or Welsh, indeed most of the big industrialised cities with the worst poverty and overcrowding were in Northern England. Whilst large mining areas were also in Northern England in areas such as Durham, Northumberland, Yorkshire and the Midlands. London also had many poor and starving people and people in England were forced in to work through the workhouse in order to survive.

As for India it gave up slavery in 1843 when Parliament passed a further Act following the 1833 Act wghich banned slavery and the 1807 Act which banned the slave trade. Hoewever the slaves mainly belonged to the Indian Princes known as the Maharajas, who ran the various provinces in India, had private armies and made trade deals with the British, whilst India's own rigid Hindhu Caste system lent itself easily to slavery.

Indian Slavery Act, 1843 - Wikipedia

The lavish lifestyle of India's royalty - BBC News

Indian princesses win battle over maharaja's £2.5bn fortune - Telegraph

India's royal riches: The maharajas' opulent lifestyle | The Independent

During industrialisation and the industrial age infant mortality, disease, poverty, hunger and industrial accidents meaning life expectancy was short.

Children worked down coal mines, in cotton mills, swept chimneys and did all kinds of dangerous work. The average life expectancy in Liverpool in 1860 was 25 years old by 1890 it had however improved and had reached 30 years old, so thats somethng to celebrate.

As for the forgotten slaves, if it was anyone it was the Child Slaves of Victorian Times who worked 16 hour days, were beaten, starved, lived in poverty and were regularly killed in industrial accidents or due to disease or malnutrition.

Child labour - Wikipedia

Revealed: Industrial Revolution was powered by child slaves | The Independent

Health and hygiene in the 19th century Britain - British Library

Picture Link

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-26-2017 at 03:12 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 03:01 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Karl Marx (the father of Communism) and German philosopher Freidreich Engels used to meet at Chetham's Library in Manchester in England, which was very close to the industrial slums.

Engels famously published his work 'The Condition of the Working Class in England' in 1845, whilst Marx went on to publish 'Das Kapital'.

The Condition of the Working Class in England - Wikipedia

Charles Dickens, also wrote extensively of the squalor, poverty and cruelty of the period in much of his extensive works, whilst George Orwell also later wrote extensively on the same subjects in the 20th century, in books such as 'The Road to Wigan Pier' and 'Down and Out in Paris and London', as well as essays such as' How the Poor Die'

Chetham's Library | Karl Marx's Desk

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History