Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 04:33 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,155,896 times

Advertisements

The victor always gets to write the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,055,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Ask any average high school educated person on the street and they’ll tell you the war was because the north wanted to free the slaves. The reason they believe that is because so much time is spent about talking about slavery, one would assume that must have been the objective.
The war was not fought to free the slaves

The war was fought, because the South seceded ..... because they felt that the US federal government was not defending the institution of slavery as agreed up in the constitution
and the North was not complying with federal laws that were passed to protect slavery.

The root cause was slavery, but it wasn't fought to free the slaves

Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 PM

10,320 posts, read 5,496,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The war was not fought to free the slaves

The war was fought, because the South seceded ..... because they felt that the US federal government was not defending the institution of slavery as agreed up in the constitution
and the North was not complying with federal laws that were passed to protect slavery.

The root cause was slavery, but it wasn't fought to free the slaves
Why not let the South secede? Why keep people part of something, against their will, that they have no desire to be a part of?

Like I said before, going to war to keep the South from seceding is like killing your spouse to keep them from leaving you.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 AM

Easy answer ... without looking it up = wealth/money

I just did a quick search

Cotton and the Civil*War | Mississippi History Now

On the eve of the American Civil War in the mid-1800s cotton was America’s leading export, and raw cotton was essential for the economy of Europe. The cotton industry was one of the world’s largest industries, and most of the world supply of cotton came from the American South. This industry, fueled by the labor of slaves on plantations, generated huge sums of money for the United States and influenced the nation’s ability to borrow money in a global market. In many respects, cotton’s financial and political influence in the 19th century can be compared to that of the oil industry in the early 21st century.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:57 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,846,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Easy answer ... without looking it up = wealth/money

I just did a quick search

Cotton and the Civil*War | Mississippi History Now

On the eve of the American Civil War in the mid-1800s cotton was America’s leading export, and raw cotton was essential for the economy of Europe. The cotton industry was one of the world’s largest industries, and most of the world supply of cotton came from the American South. This industry, fueled by the labor of slaves on plantations, generated huge sums of money for the United States and influenced the nation’s ability to borrow money in a global market. In many respects, cotton’s financial and political influence in the 19th century can be compared to that of the oil industry in the early 21st century.
I agree.
If the South was growing green beans instead of cotton, it would be it’s own country right now.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 AM

Sounds like at this point most of us agree on the cause of the Civil War = Economics (Slavery/Cotton)

Now .... I don't understand why so many people say that "it's difficult"

Old 09-27-2017, 09:49 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,108,895 times
Quote:
I agree.
If the South was growing green beans instead of cotton, it would be it’s own country right now.
I don't agree with that all. Throughout history nations have fought wars over land areas the size of provinces or counties. Now you guys are talking about the USA giving up the South, essentially an Empire in extent.

For example, earlier in the 19th century, the USA had pressured Spain to give up Florida in order to secure American borders. And that was just Florida, imagine a strong President like Lincoln giving up the entire South? I am not seeing it.

Not to mention, the South was, is and always has been more then just cotton .... or green beans!

Old 09-27-2017, 10:23 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,846,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I don't agree with that all. Throughout history nations have fought wars over land areas the size of provinces or counties. Now you guys are talking about the USA giving up the South, essentially an Empire in extent.

For example, earlier in the 19th century, the USA had pressured Spain to give up Florida in order to secure American borders. And that was just Florida, imagine a strong President like Lincoln giving up the entire South? I am not seeing it.

Not to mention, the South was, is and always has been more then just cotton .... or green beans!
I’m speculating. I have no idea why the US wanted so much land to begin with, but there’s a difference between potential territories with few settlers in it and developed states with differing ideologies and established economies who are voting participants in the federal government.

People talk endlessly about why the South seceded, but nobody seems to give a straight answer on why the North wanted it so much (so much so they were willing to destroy its infrastructure and sacrifice hundreds of thousands of soldiers to do so). Just “preserving the union” seems like a shallow answer.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM

12,881 posts, read 13,544,694 times
Quote:
I’m speculating. I have no idea why the US wanted so much land to begin with, but there’s a difference between potential territories with few settlers in it and developed states with differing ideologies and established economies who are voting participants in the federal government.

People talk endlessly about why the South seceded, but nobody seems to give a straight answer on why the North wanted it so much (so much so they were willing to destroy its infrastructure and sacrifice hundreds of thousands of soldiers to do so). Just “preserving the union” seems like a shallow answer.
"A house divided....."

Old 09-27-2017, 10:56 AM

2,799 posts, read 3,145,917 times
Treason remains treason. There is no right to treason (secede) because you don't like the President. True in Lincoln's time as much as Obama's and Trump's. End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History