Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I’m not sure why we cared back then either. There are unfriendly dictators all over the world. What difference does their economics system make?
To discuss that means we have to discuss the entire cold war geopolitical concept at that time. Namely the Truman Doctrine.

But the irony at that time is that:
-Stalin gave Kim the OK to invade the south, thinking that the US would not intervene (we had mostly pulled out our military from S. Korea). Miscalculation!
-Likewise Truman gave Mac the permission to pursue the NK forces to the Yalu thinking that China would not intervene (which as I stated in retrospect would have to be done in any regards). Miscalculation!

The other irony is that USSR, by making a stupid decision to boycott the UN at that time like a spoiled child, caused not only the US to be involved, but the entire UN to be at war with N. Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 07:46 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
To discuss that means we have to discuss the entire cold war geopolitical concept at that time. Namely the Truman Doctrine.

But the irony at that time is that:
-Stalin gave Kim the OK to invade the south, thinking that the US would not intervene (we had mostly pulled out our military from S. Korea). Miscalculation!
-Likewise Truman gave Mac the permission to pursue the NK forces to the Yalu thinking that China would not intervene (which as I stated in retrospect would have to be done in any regards). Miscalculation!

The other irony is that USSR, by making a stupid decision to boycott the UN at that time like a spoiled child, caused not only the US to be involved, but the entire UN to be at war with N. Korea.
Substitute "allowed" for "caused" in your last sentence, and you're spot on.

They haven't made that mistake since, though -- which is one reason why the world is so filled with evil regimes these days (North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, the PLO/Hamas/Hezbollah, etc.)...

Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Wasn't it officially a "police action"? The U.S. hasn't "declared war" since World War II.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:08 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
South Korea has turned into a great country, and nothing like NK. It was a victory

Old 09-28-2017, 03:38 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
South Korea has turned into a great country, and nothing like NK. It was a victory
But now they have a nuclear armed crazy neighbor right next door. Not exactly the ideal outcome.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But now they have a nuclear armed crazy neighbor right next door. Not exactly the ideal outcome.
One example on how the "containment" strategy (after the failed "rollback" strategy) doesn't always work.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:07 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Wasn't it officially a "police action"? The U.S. hasn't "declared war" since World War II.
The fact of war is not contingent upon one or more sides to the conflict offering an official declaration of war. How come this silly quibbling only arises over the Korean War? No one bothers to point out that the Civil War lacked a declaration of war. And no one thinks we were at war with Germany in, say, 1989, even though the final peace treaty between the Allies (U.S./USSR/UK/France) and the German successor states (West and East Germany) wasn't signed until 1990.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 13,575 times
As a Korean American who had parents who were children age during the Korean War I am very grateful for the American intervention. I wouldn't be here nor my parents would be here. They would either be dead or starving in a Korea united by the regime in the north.

Both my parents told me as a child they were very grateful to the U.S. After the war much of South Korea's food supplies were from America too. My parents lived for a time on American wheat, hot dogs and spam. Unfortunately, younger Koreans are forgetting of the times where the U.S. and South Korea were allies and have more ambivalent feelings towards the U.S.

Some people here keep talking about how many North Koreans died. My parents and myself don't care. They wanted to united the whole country under the banner of authoritarian Communism and if they did they would have killed just as many South Koreans. Look at how many of their own citizens they have killed. As a child of South Koreans I say the hell with that!

The northerners were incredibly brutal to southerners and killed a great many of them. When the North overran my grandfather's province, North Korean death squads came to my grandfather's farm looking to kill any land owning farmers. He had to slip out the back as my aunt served the North Korean death squad alcoholic drinks.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyungHo View Post
As a Korean American who had parents who were children age during the Korean War I am very grateful for the American intervention. I wouldn't be here nor my parents would be here. They would either be dead or starving in a Korea united by the regime in the north.

Both my parents told me as a child they were very grateful to the U.S. After the war much of South Korea's food supplies were from America too. My parents lived for a time on American wheat, hot dogs and spam. Unfortunately, younger Koreans are forgetting of the times where the U.S. and South Korea were allies and have more ambivalent feelings towards the U.S.

Some people here keep talking about how many North Koreans died. My parents and myself don't care. They wanted to united the whole country under the banner of authoritarian Communism and if they did they would have killed just as many South Koreans. Look at how many of their own citizens they have killed. As a child of South Koreans I say the hell with that!

The northerners were incredibly brutal to southerners and killed a great many of them. When the North overran my grandfather's province, North Korean death squads came to my grandfather's farm looking to kill any land owning farmers. He had to slip out the back as my aunt served the North Korean death squad alcoholic drinks.
Thanks, I appreciate this viewpoint. Too much we get posters here with one agenda - and that's to discuss "the evil US and it's atrocities" without any other view. My father was a bomber pilot during the Korean War, I am going to pass this on to him.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:04 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:

Your comment genuinely warms my heart. With anti-Americanism being in vogue nowadays, it's refreshing to be acknowledged for what we've done right. And I consider our involvement with South Korea to be something that we've done right. While it's true that South Korea's rise to prosperity is due to the talent and hard work of the South Korean people, the conditions that made it possible (i.e. not being conquered by a bunch of backwards Communists) were brought about by the United States.

I was in Seoul recently and happened upon a demonstration, wherein a bunch of twenty-somethings were protesting the deployment of THAAD missiles in their country. And I simply couldn't fathom why they would rather protest against the country that is trying to protect them instead of against the madman to the north who is threatening to wipe them out. But in the midst of the crowd I saw a middle-aged Korean woman, holding a sign that read (in English) "God bless the U.S.A. We love you." I was quite touched.

Quote:
Your aunt has nerves of steel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History