Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 03:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyungHo View Post
Dd714 and bus man,

Yes, it is quite odd that those born and raised in one of the best countries on earth can have such hate for it. I consider myself an American of Korean heritage and I love America and being an American. Although our policies maybe questionable from time to time, that should never interfere with someone's love of country.

South Korea itself is heavily pro-American. The Pew Research poll says that 75 to 80% of South Koreans are pro-American and have a very favorable attitude towards America and that's been consistent for at least a decade. The kids protesting THAAD represent a (very vocal) minority within South Korea. Polls says that 65-70% of South Koreans support THAAD deployment in their country. Now, strictly speaking, the THAAD batteries in South Korea's first job is to defend American bases first and South Korean cities second, but any ways.

Although the kids and young adults of Korea can be anti-American at times that's only because they are naive. After a few years of paying bills, mandatory military service, raising their own families, etc. they get more reasonable and more conservative. Now, the older generations of South Koreans are, like my parents, staunchly pro-American. They have seen, with their own eyes, Americans being killed for the price of freedom and are eternally grateful. If you don't know, the Korean government provides for programs that pays for airfare and hotel expense for returning Korean War veterans. They are put in buses and tour Korea and former battlefields. This buses are marked as Korean War veteran vehicles and many Koreans on the street will stop and bow to these passing bus.

Your fathers that fought in the Korean War should not be ashamed or their service but be proud. The Korean War was not a resounding success like WWI or WWII but through their service and sacrifice a country was able to avoid Communism, authoritarianism and poverty. South Korea in the rest of the 50's and 60's was not a fun place, but it developed into one of the richest countries in the world. 11th largest economy in the world, a $1.5 trillion dollar economy and a per capital GDP approaching Japan and France. Home to many high quality name brand consumer products such as LG, Samsung, Kia and Hyundai.

South Korea is America's greatest post WWII developmental success story. It shouldn't be forgotten that American policies in the early 50's and 60's helped to create that country. The South Koreans surely played a gigantic role in developing their own country but they never would have had a chance to without American help. Also, more importantly, South Korea eventually became one of the most democratic countries in Asia creating a system of government that grants its citizens tremendous freedoms that their brethren in North Korea can only imagine.
Hell yeah man. My father did return to Korea years ago and visited some of the old sites where his squadron was based. The success of the Korean War can be measured with one simple photograph taken from space at night. Where would anyone rather be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 08:50 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Quote:
Dd714 and bus man,

Yes, it is quite odd that those born and raised in one of the best countries on earth can have such hate for it. I consider myself an American of Korean heritage and I love America and being an American. Although our policies maybe questionable from time to time, that should never interfere with someone's love of country.

South Korea itself is heavily pro-American. The Pew Research poll says that 75 to 80% of South Koreans are pro-American and have a very favorable attitude towards America and that's been consistent for at least a decade. The kids protesting THAAD represent a (very vocal) minority within South Korea. Polls says that 65-70% of South Koreans support THAAD deployment in their country. Now, strictly speaking, the THAAD batteries in South Korea's first job is to defend American bases first and South Korean cities second, but any ways.

Although the kids and young adults of Korea can be anti-American at times that's only because they are naive. After a few years of paying bills, mandatory military service, raising their own families, etc. they get more reasonable and more conservative. Now, the older generations of South Koreans are, like my parents, staunchly pro-American. They have seen, with their own eyes, Americans being killed for the price of freedom and are eternally grateful. If you don't know, the Korean government provides for programs that pays for airfare and hotel expense for returning Korean War veterans. They are put in buses and tour Korea and former battlefields. This buses are marked as Korean War veteran vehicles and many Koreans on the street will stop and bow to these passing bus.

Your fathers that fought in the Korean War should not be ashamed or their service but be proud. The Korean War was not a resounding success like WWI or WWII but through their service and sacrifice a country was able to avoid Communism, authoritarianism and poverty. South Korea in the rest of the 50's and 60's was not a fun place, but it developed into one of the richest countries in the world. 11th largest economy in the world, a $1.5 trillion dollar economy and a per capital GDP approaching Japan and France. Home to many high quality name brand consumer products such as LG, Samsung, Kia and Hyundai.

South Korea is America's greatest post WWII developmental success story. It shouldn't be forgotten that American policies in the early 50's and 60's helped to create that country. The South Koreans surely played a gigantic role in developing their own country but they never would have had a chance to without American help. Also, more importantly, South Korea eventually became one of the most democratic countries in Asia creating a system of government that grants its citizens tremendous freedoms that their brethren in North Korea can only imagine.
Hell yeah man. My father did return to Korea years ago and visited some of the old sites where his squadron was based. The success of the Korean War can be measured with one simple photograph taken from space at night. Where would anyone rather be?

These posts say it all. Add to it the direction of human traffic. Not into the DPRK.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Perhaps South Korea should be spending more on defense and less on light bulbs.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
That's not the point. It's North Korea that should be spending less on pot-stirring and more on their people.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I know your post was one of many mindless and nonsensical "hit and run" type posts that one should just dismiss (how I hate when P&C forum posters venture out of there gutter of a forum) - but for the record South Korea has one of the highest defends budgets in the world at $30 billion, as well as one of the largest standing armies in the world with an active and reserve force numbering some 4 million.
Let's not forget, ROK forces also were fighting side by side with American GI's in Vietnam, one of the few countries (along with Australia) to fight with it's ally.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 13,574 times
Quote:
Gamagoo,

South Korea spends nearly 2.7% of their economy on defense:

https://tradingeconomics.com/south-k...p-wb-data.html

More than our earnest while allies Japan (0.93%) and Germany (1.17%).

Old 10-22-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
(H)ow I hate when P&C forum posters venture out of there gutter of a forum
What's wrong with my posts?

Old 10-23-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What's wrong with my posts?
Not a thing, that was directed at the other poster, Mr. Magoo or whatever his name is.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:42 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
South Korea spends nearly 2.7% of their economy on defense:
And judging by what I saw when I went shopping in Myeongdong, I'd say they spend about 75% of their economy on beauty products.

OK, in all seriousness, I think it's good to point out, as you have, that South Korea is no slouch when it comes to providing for their own defense. Being allied with the United States is a "force multiplier" for their own expenditures.

It does make me wonder . . . the United States is allied with both Japan and South Korea, and I have no doubt that both of those countries would come to our aid if needed. But, what if either of them were attacked by a third party? Given the animosity that exists between Japan and South Korea, would either of them come to the aid of the other?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
But, what if either of them were attacked by a third party? Given the animosity that exists between Japan and South Korea, would either of them come to the aid of the other?
That's a good question, S. Korea still does not like Japan due to the mistreatment that Japan incurred during World War II. Also Japan has strict limits on the deployment of there military as they see as strictly for self-defense only...although that had changed some in the last few years and they are starting to arm-up quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History