Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:16 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Please. Not all Americans gush over those horsey people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:14 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
attend to your own foolish leaders.
Dizzy, you have truly hit the nail on the head with this reply. Kudos to you.

And long live the queen.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:09 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is a crucial difference. Where you have an elected head of state, as in the USA or France, that individual very often becomes a very divisive figure. In the UK, the monarch represents the nation but no political party. That allows her to become a unifying figure.
All European figures have a head of government and a head of state. The head of government in any government in the world is almost inherently a divisive figure that represents both the government and his party, while the head of state is meant to be a unifying figure. In the kingdoms, the head of state is the monarch.

But in European nations that are not monarchies, the head of state is elected.

For instance in Germany the head of state is President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, while the head of government is Chancellor Angela Merkel.

In Ireland the head of state is President Michael D. Higgins while the head of government is Taoiseach Leo Varadkar

In North and South America and in Africa there is only one person that does both things. So Americans are often familiar with the European heads of government, and do not know the heads of state outside of some of the monarchs.

So if Britain were to become a republic, they would elect a President. The Prime Minister would remain the head of government.

As an example of why travel with the POTUS is so expensive look at the last International Visit at Paris on July 13–14. President Trump and the First Lady arrived in Orly Airport on July 13. The same day Trump visited the US Embassy to attend a ceremony honoring American World War II veterans,toured Les Invalides with French President Emmanuel Macron, engaged in a bilateral meeting with Macron at Élysée Palace and held press conference with the French President afterwards. The two leaders, along with their wives and private guests, later had dinner at the Le Jules Verne restaurant on the second level of the Eiffel Tower and their meal was prepared by Alain Ducasse. On July 14, Trump attended the Bastille Day Military Parade. The dinner was also a show of empathy by the American President on the first anniversay of the 14 July 2016 vehicle ramming that killed 86 Parisians,

That visit should be considered a head of state visit, because it is about the Franco-American relationship and shared history. But President Trump needs the entire apparatus of government at his disposal, and he is always prepared to conduct war. President Trump requires all of his own security people and modes of transport.

If Queen Elizabeth II makes the same visit, she probably has about a dozen people with her. She doesn't need a special plane, she just rents one. She doesn't bring her own automobile or helicopters as she can ride on vehicles provided by the French government. As QEII is getting old, most of her international visits are now conducted by Prince Charles.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall did a 7 day Official Foreign & Commonwealth Office visit to Italy, Romania and Austria and flew to Bucharest - Pisa - Naples - Pisa - Rome - and Vienna. The charter plane was leased for £154,000. That is the cost of operating Air Force One for about 1 hour.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 10-21-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 07:03 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This, plus the Brit tax payers still maintain several palaces for the royals to live in high style. Do Holland's, Belgium's, Spain's and Sweden's royals live off the tax payers to that grand an extent? I read ages ago that Sweden's king lives in an apartment, and wanted to be more of a regular Joe.
The king and queen of Sweden lives in a part of the Drottningholm palace, which I guess could be considered an apartment. Most of the palace and the gardens are open to the public. Some people like to call them suburbanites.
The crown princess also live with her family in a small palace just outside Stockholm while her siblings owns private homes.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:12 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Please. Not all Americans gush over those horsey people.
no of course not..you have the Kardashians..

Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM

96 posts, read 78,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I'm pretty certain that the Royal Family doesn't represent the world's most dominant English-speaking culture.
I meant to say that it's the major monarchy within the English-speaking world. The English speaking world having a great degree of cultural influence across the planet.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
My only negative about the royal family (and it matters not since I am not in Commonwealth etc) is that Prince William has not impressed me with the same sense of duty and work ethic of the Queen (whom I admire). He seems a reluctant royal and talks of wanting to live as the middle class (his definition of middle class and mne differ). Then he talks of raising his son in a middle class world such as the schools and recently not sending George to Eton.

Prince Harry also expressed that they had a reluctance to assume the crown role but will do so out of duty.

To me if William wants to live the common life, he should. Just abdicate and live the life he wants on his huge $$$.

Just get on with it. Quit having a foot living in both worlds, the middle class or the royal but be all in.

And speaking of Harry, what productive future can he possibly have? He seemed to love the military but had to give that up. He is so far from the throne now so no job there. The charity stuff is great but he can still do that. He seems a decent person and deserves a purposeful reason to get up in the morning.

Just my opinion

Old 10-25-2017, 02:18 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
I meant to say that it's the major monarchy within the English-speaking world.

I believe that it's the only monarchy within the English-speaking world.

Sort of like how I'm my nephew's favorite uncle, because I'm his only uncle.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
no of course not..you have the Kardashians..
I'm American and I only know who the Kardashians are because Europeans like to use them as a whip to crack on the heads of Americans.

Down, stupid Americans! <KRACK!> Back down into you holes you fat ignoramuses!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:03 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'm American and I only know who the Kardashians are because Europeans like to use them as a whip to crack on the heads of Americans.

Down, stupid Americans! <KRACK!> Back down into you holes you fat ignoramuses!
I like American people.. I was only responding to our Royal family being attacked when they do all of you over there no harm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History