Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:29 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I think a question to ponder is if Hitler would be able disappear, escape to South America, and live there undetected if he attempted to do so.
Anyone who has any knowledge about Hitler's personality knows that he wouldn't do that. A final stand in Berlin, a götterdämmerung where his loyal French, Dutch, Danish, Hungarian and Baltic SS troops fight to their last breath, and then Hitler blasts his brains out in a underground bunker, burying his plans of Welthaupstadt Germania with him. THAT was his style.

Hitler, once conquering most of Europe, now living in some hut in the Amazonian jungle, reading in the paper how the "Jewish-capitalist" US and "Jewish-communist" USSR carve up the world between them. Hell no, he would rather die than do that. And so he did.

Any other explanation or scenario would have to include ancient aliens, Elvis, nazis on Antarctica and Fox Mulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 01:08 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
One of my friends was telling me a story about how he and a friend got lost on country roads inland from Cancun back in the late 80s and the old gentlemen that gave them directions had the heaviest German accents they've ever heard.

The assumed they were escaped Nazis. They were about the right age at the time, mid sixtiesish.
Much more likely Mennonites whose families had lived in Mexico for generations.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:40 AM

505 posts, read 393,338 times
There was a widespread rumor in Spain during decades that he was living as a monk in a Spanish Monastery.

For those that read Spanish.

http://www.abc.es/20100626/cultura-l...006260227.html

Old 11-04-2017, 05:48 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
One of my friends was telling me a story about how he and a friend got lost on country roads inland from Cancun back in the late 80s and the old gentlemen that gave them directions had the heaviest German accents they've ever heard.

The assumed they were escaped Nazis. They were about the right age at the time, mid sixtiesish.
If they were 'mid sixtiesish' in the 'late 80s', then they would have been in their early twenties in 1945. From what would these low-level nobodies have been escaping? Sure, they could conceivably have been Nazi Party members. So what? In 1945, the party numbered about 8 million members. That hardly means they were engineering the Holocaust. Back in Germany they might have faced a few weeks of de-Nazification. Yes, it's possible that the might have committed atrocities. But at those ages, it likely would have been some sort of killing of POWs or non-combatants or the like, not the type of action that leaves an incriminating paper trail. Nor is it likely that some low-ranking nobody would have the means to finagle a flight to the Americas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
Much more likely Mennonites whose families had lived in Mexico for generations.
Indeed.

When I hear German voices coming from a passing buggy in northeastern Iowa, the last thing that comes to mind is "Nazis!".

Old 11-04-2017, 09:28 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
If they were 'mid sixtiesish' in the 'late 80s', then they would have been in their early twenties in 1945. From what would these low-level nobodies have been escaping? Sure, they could conceivably have been Nazi Party members. So what? In 1945, the party numbered about 8 million members. That hardly means they were engineering the Holocaust. Back in Germany they might have faced a few weeks of de-Nazification. Yes, it's possible that the might have committed atrocities. But at those ages, it likely would have been some sort of killing of POWs or non-combatants or the like, not the type of action that leaves an incriminating paper trail. Nor is it likely that some low-ranking nobody would have the means to finagle a flight to the Americas.

Indeed.

When I hear German voices coming from a passing buggy in northeastern Iowa, the last thing that comes to mind is "Nazis!".
There are Mennonites living in many places in Latin America, including Quintana Roo. They are a large segment of the population around Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua and the last time I had any contact with them it was not at all unusual for adults, especially women, to be unable to speak Spanish, or anything but what they called Low German. I have seen them try to converse in German with Germans and give up the attempt.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
There was a widespread rumor in Spain during decades that he was living as a monk in a Spanish Monastery.

For those that read Spanish.

«Hitler se cortó el pelo al ras, se quitó el bigote y huyó a España» - ABC.es
In the series "Hunting Hitler", that was Hitler's jumping off point. He was smuggled into Spain, and they "found" the likely spot where he would have been sheltered, a hideaway that belonged to General Franco and that had protected and private access to a port where he could have made it to a U-boat. And in keeping with the topic, one of the two leads in the series who recreated this potential getaway, including visiting all of these locations today and examining their decayed state, as well as surveying what they would have looked like in 1945, was former C.I.A. agent Robert Baer.

Hunting Hitler Full Episodes, Video & More | HISTORY

Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times

What an embarrassment the 'History' Channel has become.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:40 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

What an embarrassment the 'History' Channel has become.
Of course, did you expect them to report on history thru investigative journalism when reality shows are so much cheaper to produce? If you want to learn about history you won't learn a thing from your television, unless you're watching PBS.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The OP mentioned JFK files for some strange reason.
Anyways the document, which basically says "I know a guy who knows a guy who claims this..." is pretty lame and not worth even commenting on.

I believe this myth lives on, that Hitler somehow escaped, was due to the soviets disinformation machine at the time that wished to keep the west guessing for it's own nefarious reasons.
I agree with the bold.

I've read a lot of FBI and CIA files and many of them are like this. They are just collecting information and often the agencies would investigate that information to see if it were true or not. You cannot go by just this one document. Usually there are other documents recounting the original and notes about an investigation that took place to prove or disprove the heresay being investigated.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:07 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
There are Mennonites living in many places in Latin America, including Quintana Roo. They are a large segment of the population around Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua and the last time I had any contact with them it was not at all unusual for adults, especially women, to be unable to speak Spanish, or anything but what they called Low German. I have seen them try to converse in German with Germans and give up the attempt.

A bit of recent current events news: Mexico police detain US 'sect leader' after triple murder - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History