Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

What was the first country that would be considered "developed" by modern standards? And at what time?

Maybe United States in the 60s? The lifespan back then was still kinda short by modern standards, but the average income was excellent when adjusted for inflation, and the education was very good too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 11:19 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Before you can settle on which nation qualifies as the first developed, it would be wise to present some definition of developed. That is really what any argument here would be about...not the nation, but the proper definition. Once that is established, then it will be easy to identify which nation most closely fits that definition.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
United Kingdom.

The Netherlands and Belgium were the second in order. Then France, the US and Prussia, Hannover, Bavaria, Bremen and some other countries that became Germany.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Before you can settle on which nation qualifies as the first developed, it would be wise to present some definition of developed. That is really what any argument here would be about...not the nation, but the proper definition. Once that is established, then it will be easy to identify which nation most closely fits that definition.
Like if someone teleported that nation to 2017, and it would be considered a developed country by everyone. Like if you teleported Roman Empire from 200AD into 2017, it would look like an absolute ****hole, even tho it was very advanced for the time. But if you teleported 1970 US into 2017, it would probably be considered developed even by 2017 standards

Old 11-17-2017, 11:43 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Like if someone teleported that nation to 2017, and it would be considered a developed country by everyone. Like if you teleported Roman Empire from 200AD into 2017, it would look like an absolute ****hole, even tho it was very advanced for the time. But if you teleported 1970 US into 2017, it would probably be considered developed even by 2017 standards
But we can't do that, as many things that were the norm in 1970 would be considered completely backwards today.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:00 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I have no idea what this question means. First you have to define "developed", then you have to define "modern", then you have to define the criteria to determine both.

The thread is unanswerable.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Well then, you have a grasp of the relativity problems this question presents in the absence of an agreed upon definition of "developed."

Old 11-17-2017, 01:16 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But we can't do that, as many things that were the norm in 1970 would be considered completely backwards today.
I would not say backwards so much as embryonic. You had most of the things we have today, but in less-sophisticated variations.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:50 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
United Kingdom.

The Netherlands and Belgium were the second in order. Then France, the US and Prussia, Hannover, Bavaria, Bremen and some other countries that became Germany.
Sounds about right.

Modern: involving recent techniques, methods, or ideas

Developed: having a relatively high level of industrialization and standard of living

They're in the dictionary.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I would not say backwards so much as embryonic. You had most of the things we have today, but in less-sophisticated variations.
I'm pretty sure my children would not consider the 1970s "developed" at all. I had to explain to my 12 year old what a payphone was. On top of that, many common items today were either nonexistent or only existed in SciFi. Mobile phones, tablets, smart houses, etc. - and that's just a few technological miracles that would have left the 10-year-old me stupified. Add in the general social atmosphere of the seventies, with the accepted sexism and racism, and it's difficult to call that decade "developed".

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but I don't feel that you can go more than +/-20 years into the past and still consider that society developed.

Again, it depends on your definition of developed. If you use one particular category, you may be able to hedge it, but even that's iffy. Medically, the Seventies were neolithic compared to today. Hell, my family physician smoked while talking to you about the dangers of smoking (ironic side note, he died of a heart attack at a cardiologist conference).

The farther you spread the definition, the closer you have to come to the present. Chances are, 30 years from now 2017 will be considered barbaric.

My wife has an interesting point of view: Who was the first society to have sewage disposal that didn't involve dumping waste into the water supply? Seems simplistic at first, but it may be a valid definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History