Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:13 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times

Advertisements

What historical sites or places would you like to visit and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I want to get to know every inch of the UK I can before I die. I would like to see France, Italian and Spain as well. Greece would be wonderful also.

At some point I want to go down under and see Austrailia and New Zealand. South Africa for a photography safari would be wonderful.

WHY? I know there is so much to see out there, I want to know how other countries live. Not these hit and run one week trips people go on. You can't really know a place in that short of time.

I spent 3 months in the UK one time and it was wonderful.

I am hoping to finish my nursing degree and work as a contract nurse at some point, I would love to take contracts in other countries, living there for 3-6 months would be wonderful.

I have even thought about working in Dubai, putting my daughter in an American boarding school in the UK, Surrey and coming back there to see her frequently. I think it would be an excellent experience for a high school age kid.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
So many places and not enough time to see them all.

If i move back out to Florida i would like to see the Prisoner of War prison camp run the the Confederates in Andersonville Georgia as it was the largest and it's still intact as they treated the northern soilders like the way the Nazis treated those in their WWII prison camps.
Andersonville National Historic Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just put me in Rome and i'd be like a kid in a candy store as i love studying all about the Roman Empire/Republic from the Military dictatorships of Sulla and Ceasar 60 B.C. to the first Emperor Augustus Ceasar thru the end of it in 475 with the Child Emperor Romulus Augustus.
Roman Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like to see the ''Oracle of Apollo'' ruins in Delphi Greece where the Pythian Priestesses lived and were to have powers to talk to the Gods and had amazingly accurate visions of the future when they went into their trances.
Delphi and the Oracle of Apollo (http://www.odysseyadventures.ca/articles/delphi/articledelphi.htm - broken link)

I'd also add the Berghof or Eagles Nest as this was Hitlers favorate retreat. I've seen so many shows of Hitler at his retreat while the war raged on so yes that would be a place i really like to visit.
Berghof (Hitler) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway i could go on and on but's a few for starters. Nice thread starter Trudeyrose !

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 AM

But what specific historical places do you want to see in these countries?
Stonehenge, Windsor Palace...in England?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
So many places and not enough time to see them all.

If i move back out to Florida i would like to see the Prisoner of War prison camp run the the Confederates in Andersonville Georgia as it was the largest and it's still intact as they treated the northern soilders like the way the Nazis treated those in their WWII prison camps.
Andersonville National Historic Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just put me in Rome and i'd be like a kid in a candy store as i love studying all about the Roman Empire/Republic from the Military dictatorships of Sulla and Ceasar 60 B.C. to the first Emperor Augustus Ceasar thru the end of it in 475 with the Child Emperor Romulus Augustus.
Roman Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like to see the ''Oracle of Apollo'' ruins in Delphi Greece where the Pythian Priestesses lived and were to have powers to talk to the Gods and had amazingly accurate visions of the future when they went into their trances.
Delphi and the Oracle of Apollo (http://www.odysseyadventures.ca/articles/delphi/articledelphi.htm - broken link)

I'd also add the Berghof or Eagles Nest as this was Hitlers favorate retreat. I've seen so many shows of Hitler at his retreat while the war raged on so yes that would be a place i really like to visit.
Berghof (Hitler) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway i could go on and on but's a few for starters. Nice thread starter Trudeyrose !
6/3 My son was at Eagles Nest...The pictures were amazing!!!In one, from the top of the mountain,looking down all you could see were clouds...

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
But what specific historical places do you want to see in these countries?
Stonehenge, Windsor Palace...in England?
Shouldn't let on really, but I grew up near Stonehenge and still drive by it frequently.

The way it is presented is a national disgrace.

SO- visit Avebury, you can walk in among the stones, and nearby is Silbury Hill and the West Kennett Long Barrow (burial chamber).

Just don't say it was me that sent you.

Your Journey begins here... - Visit Wiltshire

Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
6/3 My son was at Eagles Nest...The pictures were amazing!!!In one, from the top of the mountain,looking down all you could see were clouds...
That's way to cool about you son getting to visit it.

I like this 50 sec video in color of Hitler as you can hear him talking to Eva Braun with the Mountains in the background.
Hitler Home Movies Dubbed (Part 1)

Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM

Well, Hitler was not there at the time my son was!!! There are so many historical places in Germany I still want to visit and re-visit it's hard to come up with just a few...I should have made a list before I started this thread..
Aachen for sure..more of the old castles, not just the "tourist" ones.. more "off the beaten path" places are the best!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
My wife and I are planning to retire in 10 years and live on a sailboat. Our ambition is to circumnavigate the globe and take lots of time to view historic sites.

Turkey/Greece/The Aegean would be high on my list, given that it's the cradle of Western Civilization.

Ankor Wat

The Cathedrals of Europe -- My honors class in college deal with Medieval iconography, so I'm particularly keen to see it for real

England -- every square inch of it

Egypt / The Holy Land

Any archeological dig

Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 AM

CPG That sounds so fantastic!!! Especially the Medieval ...Don't overlook the smaller, older churches and chapels...I found them much nicer than the larger cathedrals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History