Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:47 AM

308 posts, read 237,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This been discussed before.
Hitler is only a front figure. In case of his death, he'd have been replaced with someone else, to carry on with task he was chosen for as a front person. Maybe Hoess, if he was still in Germany by then.
It does not matter who's up front. That war had to be done no matter who'd be blamed for it later.
Rudolf Hoess was the commandant of Auschwitz,not really involved in high up Nazi politics.In fact he was a quiet little man who was nothing like you would imagine the sort of person who ordered what he did.

You mean Rudolf Hess,and he wouldnt have lasted long as leader, far too vague and didnt seem to have the backing of many top Nazis.

Hess wasnt particularly nice but I dont think theres words to describe Hoess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 11:55 AM

I think Goering would have been in control.Hess wasnt up to it,Von Ribbentrop was too disliked,Goebbels didnt have the support of senior Nazis either.

I also think if Goering was in charge he would have stopped expansion once he got the Germanic people united.He would already have had the rest of Czechoslovakia by 1939,but knowing Goering he would have tried to trade it off,probably for being allowed extra military, in case the Russians,French or British ever started a war .Ive also wondered why Nazis never tried to grab the German speaking part of Switzerland.Being neutral meant nothing to the Nazis,so it wasnt that.Did the German Swiss outright dislike the Nazis,they sent a lot of Jews back over the border.

If they had stopped at what theyd got,it would have taken years if not decades to shift them. If the Nazis were popular,any election (if they bothered with them....rigged or not) would go in their favour.

Though Goering hated Jews,im not so sure there would have been a genocide,even in Germanic areas. Jews would certainly have been badly treated,and quite likely deported.There was even talk about sending them to Madagascar at one time.I wouldnt have fancied the chances of those who decided to hide out and stay in German controlled areas.

That said the real evil ones like Himmler and Heydrich would not have had the scope for their dreadful deeds,if people were deported,genuinely deported that is instead of being sent to an extermination camp.Most would live.

I still believe Heydrich was set up by the Germans,and that they knew assassins lay in wait,the reason being Heydrich was getting far too powerful,and its rumoured was always on the lookout for more.

The other good thing is Speer (Why didnt he hang i always wonder??) would never have any influence,Goering couldnt stand him,so after Hitler and Himmler the man most responsible for the enslavement and deaths of millions would never have been able to start.

I dont think Goering was nice,he was an evil bastard.A thieving drug addicted somewhat nasty man.But he wasnt a meglomaniac like Hitler,sop he wouldnt have done crazy things like attack the Soviet Union,declare war on the USA to support Japan,if he hadnt i think the USA would have stayed out the European war.

Interesting to think what would have happened but sadly it didnt.Same as what would have happened if Stauffenbergs briefcase had blown Hitler up??

Old 01-06-2018, 01:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post

The other good thing is Speer (Why didnt he hang i always wonder??)
Most of the defendants were either unrepentant and argued that their cause justified their behavior, or represented themselves as mere cogs in a machine, following orders they could not refuse. Speer was the exception, he was the one defendant who either truly was aware that he had helped to perpetuate criminal horrors for which he felt guilt, or he was the one smart enough to represent himself that way.

He was good looking and well spoken, a stand out among the thuggish, swinish looking batch of mediocrities. That helped sell him to the judges as only a semi-Nazi.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
I think Goering would have been in control.Hess wasnt up to it,Von Ribbentrop was too disliked,Goebbels didnt have the support of senior Nazis either.

I also think if Goering was in charge he would have stopped expansion once he got the Germanic people united.He would already have had the rest of Czechoslovakia by 1939,but knowing Goering he would have tried to trade it off,probably for being allowed extra military, in case the Russians,French or British ever started a war .Ive also wondered why Nazis never tried to grab the German speaking part of Switzerland.Being neutral meant nothing to the Nazis,so it wasnt that.Did the German Swiss outright dislike the Nazis,they sent a lot of Jews back over the border.

If they had stopped at what theyd got,it would have taken years if not decades to shift them. If the Nazis were popular,any election (if they bothered with them....rigged or not) would go in their favour.

Though Goering hated Jews,im not so sure there would have been a genocide,even in Germanic areas. Jews would certainly have been badly treated,and quite likely deported.There was even talk about sending them to Madagascar at one time.I wouldnt have fancied the chances of those who decided to hide out and stay in German controlled areas.

That said the real evil ones like Himmler and Heydrich would not have had the scope for their dreadful deeds,if people were deported,genuinely deported that is instead of being sent to an extermination camp.Most would live.

I still believe Heydrich was set up by the Germans,and that they knew assassins lay in wait,the reason being Heydrich was getting far too powerful,and its rumoured was always on the lookout for more.

The other good thing is Speer (Why didnt he hang i always wonder??) would never have any influence,Goering couldnt stand him,so after Hitler and Himmler the man most responsible for the enslavement and deaths of millions would never have been able to start.

I dont think Goering was nice,he was an evil bastard.A thieving drug addicted somewhat nasty man.But he wasnt a meglomaniac like Hitler,sop he wouldnt have done crazy things like attack the Soviet Union,declare war on the USA to support Japan,if he hadnt i think the USA would have stayed out the European war.

Interesting to think what would have happened but sadly it didnt.Same as what would have happened if Stauffenbergs briefcase had blown Hitler up??

I think grabbing the German part of Switzerland was on Hitler's "future to do list." In the meantime, there were other priorities. Invading a well-armed fortress like Switzerland would not have been a cake walk.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:17 AM

35,060 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think grabbing the German part of Switzerland was on Hitler's "future to do list." In the meantime, there were other priorities. Invading a well-armed fortress like Switzerland would not have been a cake walk.
Also, neutral Sweden and Switzerland, and to an extent Finland, were useful leaks in the Allies' so-called "economic warfare" strategy.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Also, neutral Sweden and Switzerland, and to an extent Finland, were useful leaks in the Allies' so-called "economic warfare" strategy.
Yep.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yep.
In addition to neutral Sweden and Switzerland, and to an extent Finland, Spain and Portugal were probably useful leaks in the Allies' so-called "economic warfare" strategy. And the reason I call it "so-called" is that multinational companies in Allied countries made skirting the "embargo" of Axis powers an art form. In late 1944 the Allies finally cracked down on movements of oil, which helped seal the Nazis' doom. But not before.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
How neutral Sweden was is debatable. They traded with both the Allies and the Axis,including selling Germany lots of iron ore and steel.not to mention letting some Germans go through Sweden on their way to Norway.

They did aid the Allies as well tapping phonelines etc.Also they sheltered Norwegian and Danish Jews but at the end of the war gave the Soviet Union back prisoners who had fought for Germany.

Played both sides for money i would say is the best that could be said for sweden at that time

Old 01-17-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
How neutral Sweden was is debatable. They traded with both the Allies and the Axis,including selling Germany lots of iron ore and steel.not to mention letting some Germans go through Sweden on their way to Norway.

They did aid the Allies as well tapping phonelines etc.Also they sheltered Norwegian and Danish Jews but at the end of the war gave the Soviet Union back prisoners who had fought for Germany.

Played both sides for money i would say is the best that could be said for sweden at that time
I agree. The Allies "economic war" strategy was cynical. I'm no Marxist but I believe that multinationals made a killing on trading with the enemy, albeit through filters. The Allied governments and the companies had to look presentable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History