Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 06:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
BBC Ulster-Scots
Great BBC articles; the "Friday Night Dance in Ballycarry" was an interesting view into the offerings of Ballycarry life. Not to mention the one gentleman who when his wife said we're going to take dancing lessons he replied "over my dead body" but then admits he likes it so much now that he has to drag his wife there for the lessons.

With Burn you’d stay in your working clothes

Seamus Heaney reflects upon how the works of Burns filtered into local language.
It being the language of the common man…whereas with Burns you would stay in your working clothes

Enjoyed that commentary by Seamus Heaney on the literary works of Robert Burns.

BBC Radio Ulster - A Birl for Burns, "With Burns you'd stay in your working clothes..."

I will say though that there were videos I was unable to view due to:

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues. [/quote]

Quote:
Its been talked about before but nothing ever happened. At 13 miles the crossing mentioned from Torr Head to the Mull of Kintyre is the shortest.

Politicians ready to discuss bridge between NI and Scotland
By Stephen Walker
So is the need for the bridge to increase commerce, jobs, a 'sense of community', all of this? Are the objections due to the cost?

How do the people of Scotland and Northern Ireland feel about the proposed project.

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:34 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Great BBC articles; the "Friday Night Dance in Ballycarry" was an interesting view into the offerings of Ballycarry life. Not to mention the one gentleman who when his wife said we're going to take dancing lessons he replied "over my dead body" but then admits he likes it so much now that he has to drag his wife there for the lessons.

With Burn you’d stay in your working clothes

Seamus Heaney reflects upon how the works of Burns filtered into local language.
It being the language of the common man…whereas with Burns you would stay in your working clothes

Enjoyed that commentary by Seamus Heaney on the literary works of Robert Burns.

BBC Radio Ulster - A Birl for Burns, "With Burns you'd stay in your working clothes..."

I will say though that there were videos I was unable to view due to:

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.

So is the need for the bridge to increase commerce, jobs, a 'sense of community', all of this? Are the objections due to the cost?

How do the people of Scotland and Northern Ireland feel about the proposed project.

Just curious.[/quote]

Yes, the bridge would cover all the things you have mentioned. A sense of community perhaps being the main one among them. However, being able to drive your car from Belfast to anywhere in the UK is what I think would appeal to most people.

Going on holiday to Blackpool (Lancashire England ) we have to go by boat or plane and we would sometimes meet folk from Scotland who just took a notion to go to Blackpool who would load their stuff into their car and head down to Blackpool. In Ulster we would have to make plans and book flights etc. A bridge across to Scotland would stop a lot of the hassle involved.

Sorry about Burns/Seamus Heaney not being available where you are.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ulsterman
Its been talked about before but nothing ever happened. At 13 miles the crossing mentioned from Torr Head to the Mull of Kintyre is the shortest.

By Stephen Walker

Quote:
Yes, the bridge would cover all the things you have mentioned. A sense of community perhaps being the main one among them. However, being able to drive your car from Belfast to anywhere in the UK is what I think would appeal to most people.

Going on holiday to Blackpool (Lancashire England ) we have to go by boat or plane and we would sometimes meet folk from Scotland who just took a notion to go to Blackpool who would load their stuff into their car and head down to Blackpool. In Ulster we would have to make plans and book flights etc. A bridge across to Scotland would stop a lot of the hassle involved.

Sorry about Burns/Seamus Heaney not being available where you are.
Seriously, not to worry Ulsterman, I watched all of the videos I was able to and read all the articles as well. Quite enlightening and a nice peek into another country, its issues and the lives of the citizenry. We're not very dissimilar as one might think.

Hmmm, so 'one thing leads to another' in 'my mental world'. So, is it safe to assume that the bridge is more efficient than taking a Ferry? OR, would it take longer to take a Ferry (according to Ferry operators departure/arrival schedules; not to mention weather as a possible obstacle as well) than just packing up the car and leaving at 'your' convenience, less traffic, ability to stop on the way and do other things as well?

Regardless, I hope the powers that be make the decision to build the bridge for all the reasons it is needed.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman

By Stephen Walker

Seriously, not to worry Ulsterman, I watched all of the videos I was able to and read all the articles as well. Quite enlightening and a nice peek into another country, its issues and the lives of the citizenry. We're not very dissimilar as one might think.

Hmmm, so 'one thing leads to another' in 'my mental world'. So, is it safe to assume that the bridge is more efficient than taking a Ferry? OR, would it take longer to take a Ferry (according to Ferry operators departure/arrival schedules; not to mention weather as a possible obstacle as well) than just packing up the car and leaving at 'your' convenience, less traffic, ability to stop on the way and do other things as well?

Regardless, I hope the powers that be make the decision to build the bridge for all the reasons it is needed.
Aye, you are right HomeIsWhere, the ferry across from Belfast to Cairnryan is about one and a quarter hours. From Larne its an hour. Depending on what speed you drive at it could take half the time of the ferries.

There is plenty of videos on the net now which do show the links with America. Most of it focus on the migration of the 1700s but in the 1800s due to more pressure on them around 100,000 went to America. Most of those would have been Presbyterians but some Methodists went too. I have a book marking 100 years of Methodism which gives reports from the various places in which they had a presence. America was one of them and Ireland was another. However, those in Ireland had to leave.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Aye, you are right HomeIsWhere, the ferry across from Belfast to Cairnryan is about one and a quarter hours. From Larne its an hour. Depending on what speed you drive at it could take half the time of the ferries.

There is plenty of videos on the net now which do show the links with America. Most of it focus on the migration of the 1700s but in the 1800s due to more pressure on them around 100,000 went to America. Most of those would have been Presbyterians but some Methodists went too. I have a book marking 100 years of Methodism which gives reports from the various places in which they had a presence. America was one of them and Ireland was another. However, those in Ireland had to leave.

Concerning the Ferry, it's not that I understand completely but I lived on an island in Southern Europe for a time and the only way out/off the island was by British/Olympic Airways or Ferry and we mostly used the Ferry.

And we are forever grateful that they did!

Old 03-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
[/color]
Concerning the Ferry, it's not that I understand completely but I lived on an island in Southern Europe for a time and the only way out/off the island was by British/Olympic Airways or Ferry and we mostly used the Ferry.

And we are forever grateful that they did!
Yes, the ferries were needed here too. Away back before the ferries people would row their own small boats across to Scotland. Rathlin Island lies just off the coast of Antrim. If it had been a wee bit further south it would have been a 'stepping stone' to Scotland.

Rathlin Island is said by some to be the island where Bruce had his encounter with the spider.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 PM

[quote=Ulsterman;51208900]Yes, the ferries were needed here too. Away back before the ferries people would row their own small boats across to Scotland. Rathlin Island lies just off the coast of Antrim. If it had been a wee bit further south it would have been a 'stepping stone' to Scotland.

Rathlin Island is said by some to be the island where Bruce had his encounter with the spider .

I really enjoy a folktale and I could look it up but I'd rather you give us the Ulsterman version of this tale. What do you think?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM

[quote=HomeIsWhere...;51209535]
Quote:
Yes, the ferries were needed here too. Away back before the ferries people would row their own small boats across to Scotland. Rathlin Island lies just off the coast of Antrim. If it had been a wee bit further south it would have been a 'stepping stone' to Scotland.

Rathlin Island is said by some to be the island where Bruce had his encounter with the spider .

I really enjoy a folktale and I could look it up but I'd rather you give us the Ulsterman version of this tale. What do you think?
Not much good at storytelling. Robert the Bruce had been defeated in battle so had to flee from Scotland and landed on Rathlin Island. He took refuge in a cave and while there noticed a spider trying to weave a web but each time the spider tried ( six times it is said ) it fell to the ground. However, it never gave up and in the end succeeded. Bruce took inspiration from the spider's determination and so he returned to Scotland and defeated his enemy.

As far as 'm aware it is a story and not fact. The saying 'if you don't succeed at once try try try again' is said to have come from the story of Bruce and the spider. There is another one about Heather Ale

Old 03-05-2018, 10:07 AM

''It is doubtful if we fully realized the part played by this stern and virile people. They formed the kernel of that American stock who were the pioneers of our people in the march westwards. They were bold and hardy people who pushed the settled regions of America and plunged into the wilderness as the leaders of the white advance. The Presbyterians were the first and last set of immigrants to do this: all others have merely followed in the wake of their predecessors''

President Theodore Roosevelt

Old 03-05-2018, 11:51 AM

I say this with a chuckle Ulsterman, try not to doubt your ability of 'storytelling' as I'd say it's on par with ones motivation to do so. Well done.

Oddly enough (maybe not, all things considered) I do read a great deal concerning the Ulster Scots, which is largely due to researching ancestry. So, that is how I come across information that I had not been looking for in the first place and it always (and usually) brings me to places and people I was unaware of but always enlightened by the discovery.

The Contribution of ULSTER to the UNITED STATES of AMERICA

Ideally suited for the new life by reason of their experience as pioneers in Ulster, their qualities of character and their Ulster Scottish background, they made a unique contribution to the land of their adoption. They became the frontiersmen of colonial America, clearing the forests to make their farms and, as one would expect, they had the defects as well as the qualities of pioneers.

President Theodore Roosevelt described them as "a grim, stern people, strong and powerful for good and evil, swayed by gusts of stormy passion, the love of freedom rooted in their very hearts' core..." They suffered terrible injuries at the hands of the red men, and on their foes they waged terrible warfare in return. They were also upright, resolute, fearless, and loyal to their friends, devoted to their country.

The Contribution of ULSTER to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

ETA: If this has already been noted previously...move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History