Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 24,715 times

Advertisements

well going to school i have talked with friends parent growing up in the sixties. . they remember the beatles, hippies, flowerchildren, tye die shirts, lava lamps, ed sullivan, mr ed, etc sixties anything to remember, plus the assassination of john f kennedy. many believe without a doubt that lee harvey oswald shot him in dallas texas from fifty or sixty feet from the building not to far off. . kennedy sitting in the back seat with his wife driving through the crowd while the car was moving. just to think the president of the united states being killed right before your eyes in broad day light. I bet many people could not believe this happened. . this was one of the biggest stories of the twentieth century maybe one of the top in the one hundred list..

and when people make mention of other presidents including shows like good times and all in the family they mention nixon, carter and ford. . plus family ties mentions ronald reagan and george h bush. so it makes me wonder why did I not hear the name lyndon b johson? Maybe it was because i was curious who the presidents were in order.

why does it seem that lyndon b johnson is an invisible president that had no importance on the sixties? days of the beatles . And why then did the seventies remember to not mention his name either?

a few years ago there was an article some believed lyndon b johnson also known by his initials lbj had a connection in the kennedy assassination. But this news is recently of just 2 or three years ago maybe i think. here then i don't think lbj was ever a suspect. why also of sudden is lbj the one who helped plan out kennedy's assassination just because he wasn't guaranteed he got in office?

i will other people search to see if this lbj assassination for twenty fifteen to know for sure if this article was true or simply a bad rumor that got out.? would this article actually have sold if lbj was really involved in jfk assassination 1963.? look likes he got to the end of his term. maybe that's one reason why they think lbj did it. because if anyone else got elected he may have not been the president ever. i don't know. do a search and then see what you think.

second question does anyone know anything at all about lbj as a president to remember from their memories anything they know about him?. . . no one anywhere is mentioning his name for no reason at all except the jfk article i was told about. . i should have researched back then to see if this was true. remember don't look at very old papers. because those won't suspect lbj at all. . only very new articles of two or three years ago will tell you he is a new suspect. you never know how those newspapers get those stories out of the blue.

how come in general though doesn't anyone remember or talk about the invisible president if he never existed? i want to know was he a good president or bad president? what about his personality?. . what did he accomplish? what did he fail at? if no one is able to answer this for sure he is so invisible he may as well not ever to exist as a president. maybe he could have been more well known if he was famous movie star and direct too. . he is like steve spielberg for example... lbj the president no one ever knew and never does anyone remember him ever again. let's see what others have to say. see what you can find out about this former u.s. president. maybe we will all learn something hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 04:14 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
What do you mean? LBJ remains one of the most-discussed presidents of the 20th Century.

Personally, I regard LBJ as a corrupt buffoon whose one positive contribution to American history was Civil Rights. His blundering and mendacity in Vietnam created distrust for government that remains to this day. His War on Poverty was an ill-considered hodgepodge of programs that made no appreciable dent in poverty, instead leading the mushrooming of the entitlement state. That will prove an issue that, before long, we'll have to grapple with. Entitlements are simply not sustainable.

To me, the most enlightening glimpse into the mind of Lyndon Johnson has been Robert Caro's monumental multi-volume biography, Years of Lyndon Johnson. Beginning with Path to Power, it traces LBJ's life from a poverty-stricken childhood to his life as a ward heel in the Texas hill country, to his corrupt shenanigans in the House and his ultimate election to the Senate. Meticulously researched, it is simply unanswerable as it details Johnson's use (And abuse) of power.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:34 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
All Presidents have pros and cons but overall, LBJ accomplished a lot.

LBJ'S Legacy:

War on Poverty: forty programs that were intended to eliminate poverty by improving living conditions and enabling people to lift themselves out of the cycle of poverty.
Education: sixty separate bills that provided for new and better-equipped classrooms, minority scholarships, and low-interest student loans.
Medicare & Medicaid: guaranteed health care to every American over sixty-five.
The Environment: introduced measures to promote clean air and water.
National Endowment for the Arts and the Humanities: program to support artists, performers, and writers.
Job Corps: provided enabling skills for young men and women.
Head Start: program for four- and five-year-old children from disadvantaged families.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
I spent many a hour at the LBJ Ranch when I was a kid. My grandfather was a politco back then. He and LBJ would get together almost every weekend to "plan" what was coming up next. This was before his presidency. Minivan Driver pretty much has LBJ pegged for the slimeball he was. He was Texas famous for having 120% of the voters in South Texas counties vote for him. Some of those voters had been dead over 100 years too but still managed to get to the polls. In my opinion, he is one president that needs to be forgotten. There are things I got to hear that should never have been spoken. If you think Gotti was a problem child, LBJ gave him lessons.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

LBJ'S Legacy:

War on Poverty: forty programs that were intended to eliminate poverty by improving living conditions and enabling people to lift themselves out of the cycle of poverty.
Education: sixty separate bills that provided for new and better-equipped classrooms, minority scholarships, and low-interest student loans.
National Endowment for the Arts and the Humanities: program to support artists, performers, and writers.
Head Start: program for four- and five-year-old children from disadvantaged families.

And there were some of us including myself who got an all expenses paid trip to South East Asia.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:43 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:

LBJ'S Legacy:

And please don't forget the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968. These laws (and their enforcement by judges appointed by Johnson) took blacks from second class citizenship to standing on par with everyone in this country. That, alone, is a monumental achievement for which Johnson is entitled to tremendous praise.

Medicare undoubtedly contributes to a high-priced health care system, but I don't know anyone over 65 that wants to give it up. It has given our elderly access to healthcare for over half a century.

Johnson undoubtedly engaged in skulduggery when he was running for office. However, what is left out of it is that in Texas all his opponents were doing the same thing. It was the way things were done in that state back than and no one was prosecuted and no one went to jail. I'm fine if people want to criticize him for that, but a whole host of other people need to be criticized too. Coke Stevenson, Texas Governor, an opponent of his in 1946 for the Senate is one example.

Johnson's decision to involve this country in Vietnam was a mistake. However, he was essentially forced into doing so by the huge forces in America that were rabidly anti-communist. I submit most presidents would have made the same choice.

All in all, except for Vietnam, Johnson's actions served this country well.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 24,715 times
2 or 3 yrs ago there was an article that i read that said lbj had something to do with jfk assassination. i don't remember what source it came from because i heard it with my ears. will someone help me find out if this is true because sometimes i don't know what the true source is?

please don't do research before 2016 because i don't know if they were talking about that before that year.

yes the accusation of lbj was recent so you won't find it in newspapers. that's the reason how i got this idea for this post and wondering who he is. i thank anyone ahead of time if they help me to know if this is false or true.
Please give a reason why you believe this is true or false according to reports.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:

LBJ'S Legacy:

LBJ's War on Poverty was a bust. While the poverty rate dropped from somewhere in the mid-20% range in 1959 to 15% by 1965, the poverty rate never dropped more than a percentage point or two after that, despite a massive increase in the size of government. So while you list a large number of programs that LBJ began, the effectiveness of those programs in the erasure of poverty is dubious at best.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ed_States..PNG

Old 03-23-2018, 09:25 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
LBJ's War on Poverty was a bust. While the poverty rate dropped from somewhere in the mid-20% range in 1959 to 15% by 1965, the poverty rate never dropped more than a percentage point or two after that, despite a massive increase in the size of government. So while you list a large number of programs that LBJ began, the effectiveness of those programs in the erasure of poverty is dubious at best.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ed_States..PNG
I don't call that a bust. I call it a 25% reduction in poverty. Actually, I disagree with your numbers. The table appears to show a decline in the poverty rate from about 22% in 1963 to about 12% after 1965. That's about 50%. The poverty rate fluctuates over time with more people being in poverty during republican administrations and recessions. In 2000, at the end of the Clinton Presidency it dropped over four percentage points to about 11%.

Did anyone really think any President's policies would end all poverty? That would be a real pipe dream. There are many reasons people are poor. They range from age, to illness, to lack of education, to handicap, to even the geographic area they live in. It was to Johnson's credit that he obtained about a 50% decrease in poverty with the help of the War on Poverty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povert...ed_States..PNG

Last edited by markg91359; 03-23-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 10:45 PM

384 posts, read 272,522 times
I think LBJ was mentioned more than many other former presidents. The 635 beltway in Dallas is even named after him. Franklin Pierce and James Polk get hardly mentioned. Same with Martin Van Buren. If we're keeping it to the 20th century, I think the title goes to Warren Harding. Teapot Dome and Albert Fall taking bribes from oil tycoons is what most people probably remember about Harding's Administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History