Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 03:04 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
The physicist in question re. the Challenger disaster had to be Richard Feynman. I'm clueless, though, about the obscure country.

In the US the four largest states are Alaska, Texas, California and Montana. What's #5?

Which is state larger - Louisiana or Mississippi?
i'm guessing either Arizona or New Mexico would be #5, and Mississippi is probably larger than Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
New Mexico is 5th largest

Louisiana has a total of 51,843 sq. miles
Mississippi has a total of 48,434

but

Louisiana has an enormous amount of water included in it's overall measure, presumably due to the Mississippi Delta. Some 8000 sq. miles, something I didn't realize when I asked the question. Take that away and Mississippi is larger.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Are they in Tajikistan? No idea what the mountains' names are now, but I think I remember hearing that the two tallest outside of the Himalayas are in Tajikistan. As far as the former names go...Marx Peak and Lenin Peak?
Good, Tajikistan is correct for the tallest mountain outside the Himalayas. The former Mt. Communism is now called Ismail Samani peak, located in the Pamir range of mountains. Not far away is the mountain still called Lenin Peak. There is another tall mountain in Kyrgystan called Pobeda Peak (Victory Peak) that is taller than Lenin Peak. Ismail Samani Peak and Pobeda Peak are the only two mountains outside the Himalaya range in the world's tallest 100 mountains.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,825 times
Russian exclave on the Baltic Sea: East Prussia

Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,595 times
Default Geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Russian exclave on the Baltic Sea: East Prussia
awecelot,

Good answer! Also, you correctly called East Prussia an "exclave," a portion of a country separated from the main country. East Prussia was officially taken over by Russia in 1946, after most of the Germans had left in a mass exodus to escape the advancing Russian armies. Almost everything German was obliterated. The name of the main city of Koenigsberg was changed to Kaliningrad and is known as the Kaliningrad Oblast. This is an aside, but historian Antony Beevor told the story in his book "Fall of Berlin 1945" of how Russian troops in WWII, most of whom had never seen such wealth, pillaged the fine homes of East Prussia, even discarding ammunition from their tanks to make room for the booty stripped from homes.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Geography

I don't believe anyone added more questions, so here are a few:

Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett, said to be the inspiration for the Indiana Jones, is presumed to have died in 1925 in the Matto Grosso. Where is the Matto Grosso located?

Infamous Devil's Island is located offshore from what country?

What city located far up the Amazon River boasted a superb opera house, which opened in 1896 during the height of the rubber boom?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Ok lets see if anyone has this:

What group was the origin of the European union and what countries were in it?

How many nations were originally in the United Nations?

What is the Main Pacific Port of Russia?

What is the worlds newest country and what is its capital?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
I don't believe anyone added more questions, so here are a few:

Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett, said to be the inspiration for the Indiana Jones, is presumed to have died in 1925 in the Matto Grosso. Where is the Matto Grosso located?

Infamous Devil's Island is located offshore from what country?

What city located far up the Amazon River boasted a superb opera house, which opened in 1896 during the height of the rubber boom?

Matto Grosso is Brazil I believe.

French Guiana?

Manaus

Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ok lets see if anyone has this:

What group was the origin of the European union and what countries were in it?

How many nations were originally in the United Nations?

What is the Main Pacific Port of Russia?

What is the worlds newest country and what is its capital?
European Economic Community (EEC) - Belgium, West Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg

77 original UN members (the so-called "Group of 77")

Vladivostok

Kosovo - Pristina

Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Matto Grosso is Brazil I believe.

French Guiana?

Manaus
Burdell, You aced it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History