Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Technically, this sounds like a good answer, but that's an island in 'inland waters'. I was thinking more of an offshore, distant island shared by two distant nations. That would be (to my knowledge) Saint Martin / Sint Maarten, in the eastern Caribbean. The SE half is part of the Netherlands, and the NW is part of France. The border is clearly marked on two points along the 'coast road', and there is a decorative monument at the western one. License plates in the Dutch part resemble ours in the US, while the French plates are the standard long European style. The whole place is probably 7 or 8 miles in diameter (?)

I'll give you an "A" though for being first, and I should have been more specific.
The French side of the island is way more laid back. I remember so well that Conch dinner , outdoors,listen to the tree frogs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The French side of eerything is more laid back.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The French side of eerything is more laid back.
Quite true , . The islands tell a story that reflects that. Most of the British ones lack that laid back charm. I have been to all of them a time or two , those years before the mast..........the ports most popular , for me , were always French.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 AM

What country am I?

I am an independent counry, with a population of more than a million.
English has been my only official language, for more than a century.
Most of my inhabitants are descended from a country in which English is an official language.
Few of my inhabitants speak English. They almost all speak a different European language, which is used by nearly all the broadcast and print media.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
What country am I?

Most of my inhabitants are descended from a country in which English is an official language.
Few of my inhabitants speak English. They almost all speak a different European language, which is used by nearly all the broadcast and print media.
I was going to guess Belize (the former British Honduras)...but hesitating because I'm not sure where most of the inhabitants place their descent. (The other European language spoken there would be Spanish, right?)

Old 12-17-2008, 11:44 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
What country am I?

This had BETTER be good! A place where English is the ONLY official language....where FEW people speak English? Yet MOST of them descend from a place that had it as an official language?....This one has me stumped. Off the top of my head, my first thought was Trinidad? Fiji? Jamaica?....but obviously NONE of these places fit your description. Are you SURE? I'm burning with curiosity.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
What country am I?

Philippines would my guess. was once a US territory.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM

No, no right answers so far. I expected everybody to speak English, and when I arrived there , I said WTF? NObody spoke English. It is an island, though.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM

I'm going to be away for a couple of days, so I'll give the answer.

Mauritius, was a French colonty before it was British, so French got established as the common language, and it still is, despite the fact that a majorty of the population came from India, where English is also an official language.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
I'm going to be away for a couple of days, so I'll give the answer.

Mauritius, was a French colonty before it was British, so French got established as the common language, and it still is, despite the fact that a majorty of the population came from India, where English is also an official language.
GOOD one!...The "Indians" were a clue, as it DOES have an enormous number of English-speakers. But the population of 1 million threw me off.....NOR did I realize Mauritius was ever British.

Congratulations....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History