Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 04:11 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,536,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is the largest city in the world that occupies a space that was virtually uninhabited 50 years ago?
As a quick guess...Brasilia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,532,515 times
Quote:
While you contnue searching for that county on your road atlas, here is another that you might be able to think of the answer"

What is the largest city in the world that occupies a space that was virtually uninhabited 50 years ago?
Brasilia? (Nominal capital of Brazil)?....

Old 12-25-2008, 05:46 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As a quick guess...Brasilia?
That was the red herring. Brasilia was already well under construction with thousands of laborers living on site by 1959, 50 years ago. The place I'm thinking of was not.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
That was the red herring. Brasilia was already well under construction with thousands of laborers living on site by 1959, 50 years ago. The place I'm thinking of was not.
I think the Soviet Arctic/ Siberia region has several "instant" cities created by government decree in order to conduct secret "stuff" in remote locations, and a few remain 'cities' today.... . But I'm not sure this was less than 50 years ago, nor do I remember their names. You've got me curious....

It wouldn't be Labrador City/ Wabush..on the Quebec/Labrador border? These places were pretty much created overnight..but I'm not sure they're younger than 50 years....pretty close, though..

Old 12-25-2008, 09:09 PM

Those Labrador towns are pretty small. The entiredy of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador has a smaller population than the city I'm thinking of. By the way, further research yields wildly disparate populations for two contending cities, one of which is a new capital of a country,and one of them is not. It is likely that the one that is not a capital is larger, but either (or prefereably both) answers will do. One of them is a place Americans are very familiar with, and the other is one most Americans have never heard of.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Those Labrador towns are pretty small. The entiredy of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador has a smaller population than the city I'm thinking of. By the way, further research yields wildly disparate populations for two contending cities, one of which is a new capital of a country,and one of them is not. It is likely that the one that is not a capital is larger, but either (or prefereably both) answers will do. One of them is a place Americans are very familiar with, and the other is one most Americans have never heard of.
Is one "Naypyidaw, Myanmar"?....I'm really guessing now

Old 12-26-2008, 09:17 PM

I can't find Naypyidar on a list of cities in Myanmar, but there are only two cities in the country large enough. The two cities have populations in the half-million vicinity. One of them is in North America, and the blank empty roadless space can be seen on a Rand McNally Road Atlas of mid-50's vintage. The other is a newly-created African capital.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,824,652 times
I believe the largest county without a divided four lane is Deschutes County, Oregon, pop. 115,347 as of 2000 census.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 AM

Yes,, Deschutes is the largest I can find, followed by Lenawee, Michigan. (98K). Grand Traverse Michigan would be third according to the map, however, the Leelanau county line crosses an urban street which is four lanes at that point, right at a major intersection with a traffic light. Other contenders are Island WA, Walla Walla WA, Coos OR and Marquette MI. Interesting that all the leaders are in MI and WA/OR,

Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,907,904 times
Quote:
Yes,, Deschutes is the largest I can find, followed by Lenawee, Michigan. (98K). Grand Traverse Michigan would be third according to the map, however, the Leelanau county line crosses an urban street which is four lanes at that point, right at a major intersection with a traffic light. Other contenders are Island WA, Walla Walla WA, Coos OR and Marquette MI. Interesting that all the leaders are in MI and WA/OR,
We here in Marquette County , Michigan DO have a 4 lane divided and not , highway. US 41. As the largest county in Michigan , we rank low in population however. It is possible to live on a ordinary suburban street , not unlike any other in the populated areas of the country ,..yet , a short 20 mile drive will put you into a wilderness setting , off the grid, among moose and wolves, mink fisher , and martin. White pine forests , hemlock thick rocky shores , and good phone cell service. ( not always )......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History