Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sorry, time's up! "Ta" comes from the Danish word "tak," which means "thank you." I was sure ">bowing<" would give it away! Thanks to the lovely Karen Blixen who wrote the story Babette's Feast. Thanks to all for playing, and accept our exciting tak gifts.
delusianne,

Apparently, I got too focused in looking for a connection between Out of Africa and Babette's Feast. BTW, I wondered why Karen Blixen used the pseudonym Isak Dinesen. Babette's Feast was an interesting movie, with psychological nuances.
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
delusianne,

Apparently, I got too focused in looking for a connection between Out of Africa and Babette's Feast. BTW, I wondered why Karen Blixen used the pseudonym Isak Dinesen. Babette's Feast was an interesting movie, with psychological nuances.
John
I'd guess she was just separating her writing life from her Baroness Blixen life. No doubt it let her write more freely. She was of an era (b. 1885) and class that cleaved to conservative tradition, and in the days of her parents and grandparents it was unseemly for female artists of that class to display their naked names before the public. I dont know if her publishers ever published anything under the name "Karen Blixen" or "Isak Dinesen (nom de ostrich plume of the glamorous Baroness Blixen)" after she became known; you'd think a female name would sell better to women ("Babette's Feast" was first published in Good Housekeeping), but that was a less craven day.

Last edited by delusianne; 04-22-2008 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: changed "It probably" to "No doubt it"

Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Dinesen was her maiden name. She chose Isak because in the Old Testament, Sarah gives birth to a son late in life, and names him Isaac to express her joy at his birth. Isaac means "laughter" in Hebrew. Karen felt she was giving birth to her second life when she began writing, since she had returned to Denmark broke and dependent on her family. Her American publishers used the pen name Isak Dinesen, but I think in Denmark her works were published under Karen Blixen.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:51 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Dinesen was her maiden name. She chose Isak because in the Old Testament, Sarah gives birth to a son late in life, and names him Isaac to express her joy at his birth. Isaac means "laughter" in Hebrew. Karen felt she was giving birth to her second life when she began writing, since she had returned to Denmark broke and dependent on her family. Her American publishers used the pen name Isak Dinesen, but I think in Denmark her works were published under Karen Blixen.
Oh, what a lovely choice! I'd been thinking along the "false nose and glasses" line. The reality is exquisite - thanks!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
This one is a real stumper

To be that far reaching I'd have to say volcanic eruption
burdell,

You are correct. It's thought that the Santorini volcano, also called Thera, may have been matched only by the power of Tambora in 1815. The Santorini caldera is almost four miles across. The Minoans, who hadn't fled earlier, must have perished in the explosion and physical aftereffects.

By the way, Hypatia was the name of the scientist killed by a fanatical mob in Alexandria. They thought she had pagan leanings, and as a prominent teacher, they blamed her for religious turmoil.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
By the way, Hypatia was the name of the scientist killed by a fanatical mob in Alexandria. They thought she had pagan leanings, and as a prominent teacher, they blamed her for religious turmoil.

That was a good one, I don't recall ever hearing that name mentioned in school, will have to do a little reading about her.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
There were originally 51 countries in the United Nations ....50 attended the
first meeting ...51st country Poland signed later

The EEC started in 1957 with 6 countries

Germany ...France ...Netherlands ....Belgium ....Italy ...and Luxembourg
Ok your right about the U.N. but wrong with the EEC, there was a group before that called Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg) that was formed in the 1940s by the governments in exile in England. Then the EEC formed, followed by the European Union.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Geography

To keep the subject going:

What was the name given to the intrepid French fur traders who traversed much of Canada in the 17th and 18th century largely over waterways?

Where was the 1805-1806 winter encampment of the Lewis & Clark expedition? It's said to have rained every day for over a 100 days while they were there. A fort now commemorates the location.

Who was the first white man to lead an expedition that traversed the west to the Pacific Ocean. A California state park on the California-Oregon border is named for him.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
To keep the subject going:

What was the name given to the intrepid French fur traders who traversed much of Canada in the 17th and 18th century largely over waterways?

Where was the 1805-1806 winter encampment of the Lewis & Clark expedition? It's said to have rained every day for over a 100 days while they were there. A fort now commemorates the location.

Who was the first white man to lead an expedition that traversed the west to the Pacific Ocean. A California state park on the California-Oregon border is named for him.
don't know the first one.

if im not mistaken the winter encampment of Lewis & Clark was in Astoria, OR?

I don't know his first name, but im guessing his last name was Smith?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
don't know the first one.

if im not mistaken the winter encampment of Lewis & Clark was in Astoria, OR?

I don't know his first name, but im guessing his last name was Smith?
dxiweodwo,

Astoria is close enough. It was named Ft Clatsop and there is a facsimile of their camp there today. Reportedly, they spent a miserable winter there because of the incessant rain.

Indeed, it was Jedediah Smith, perhaps the most important figure in the opening of the West next to Lewis and Clark. The park named for him is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Smith survived three massacres in his career, but he was killed by Indians while looking for water for his party on the Santa Fe Trail. BTW, a great biography of Smith's life is one written by Dale L. Morgan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History