Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

Interesting documentary on Jews in the military during WWI, integration into the military, going into Germany. Great story of a Sergeant Edmonds who, in a prison camp, when Germans order the Jews to identify themselves, to be killed, Edmonds ordered his men to refuse, telling the Nazis - even at gunpoint - "We are all Jews."

GI Jews: Jewish Americans in World War II | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 03:50 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Watched the trailer and it looks very interesting -- I am going to watch the whole thing this weekend! Thanks for posting as I would have missed this.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:13 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting documentary on Jews in the military during WWI, integration into the military, going into Germany. Great story of a Sergeant Edmonds who, in a prison camp, when Germans order the Jews to identify themselves, to be killed, Edmonds ordered his men to refuse, telling the Nazis - even at gunpoint - "We are all Jews."

GI Jews: Jewish Americans in World War II | PBS
I've read several books about US units captured by the Nazi's and how support for any Jews sent them all the worse places. There's a couple of books written by survivors of Berga, and they were truely brave men standing for all. I believe the one I'm thinking of is Soldiers and Slaves.

The bravery of those individuals and commanders who refused to identify the Jews among them is extraordinary, and says much about how bravery can be quiet and strong too.

Until I saw and then read the book, and then saw the documentary, I don't recall any teacher including this in the war's end. Somehow that is very dissapointing.

I'm mostly heard about what happened in the camps until my friend, who was studying the Holocaust in college wrote a time traveling fan fiction, making sure all historical events were absolutely correct. I did her readthru and found I needed to read more. I wonder if any of the men at Berga would have guessed they would find that choice before they hopped on the ship going to war.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Hmmm, I was under the understanding from several sources that western allied jewish soldiers were generally treated the same as western allied soldiers from any background. The Luftwaffe, who managed the POW camps, treated western allied prisoners relativley fairly...with some exceptions of course (the massacre at Malmedy comes to mind, but that was before American prisoners were put in POW camps).

Russian prisoners on the other hands...

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hmmm, I was under the understanding from several sources that western allied jewish soldiers were generally treated the same as western allied soldiers from any background. The Luftwaffe, who managed the POW camps, treated western allied prisoners relativley fairly...with some exceptions of course (the massacre at Malmedy comes to mind, but that was before American prisoners were put in POW camps).

Russian prisoners on the other hands...
The Germans saw Slavs and jews as subhuman. Treated them differently.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I think everyone understands that.

At the same time, POWs were primarily viewed as POWs. And their treatment differed vastly depending on their citizenship. For example, a Jew serving in the RAF was likely going to fare far better in German clutches as a POW than a Jew from Minsk. A Ukrainian who was a second-generation American and was captured while serving in the U.S. Army was likely going to fare far better in German captivity than a Ukrainian serving in (and captured from) the Red Army. In fact, I am not aware of any distinct Germany treatment of western POWs with Slavic origins, though it would not surprise me if it existed at some level. But again, a USAAF Pole from Milwaukee was going to be much likelier to survive Germany captivity than a Polish Pole from Krakow.

This is not to say that Jews and others did not suffer in captivity for reasons of religion and/or national origin. Being a Christian POW of 'good Germanic stock' due to the 'scientific racism' practiced in the Third Reich gave one a certain leg up. But in the confused and often contradictory morass of German racial thinking, politics was often allowed to trump logic (not surprising, given how tenuous such thinking was).

There were indeed instances of attempts to separate Jews from non-Jews among western POWs. Here are some examples:
Jewish POWs In A Nazi Concentration Camp
Jewish POW's at Colditz Castle

Old 05-02-2018, 06:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yes we obviously understand that.

But again Germany treated Soviet POWs much worse than Western Allied POWs. Doesn't matter if the western POW was black or jewish. The death rate of Soviet POWs in German Captivity on the other hand was over 50%, mostly due to starvation, again irregardless of the race or religion of the Soviet prisoner. Some ended outright in the extermination camps as well.

In turn, German POW's captured by Russians didn't fare much better - many ended up in Siberean gulags and died there, many didn't get released until the 1950s.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:45 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I think everyone understands that.

At the same time, POWs were primarily viewed as POWs. And their treatment differed vastly depending on their citizenship. For example, a Jew serving in the RAF was likely going to fare far better in German clutches as a POW than a Jew from Minsk. A Ukrainian who was a second-generation American and was captured while serving in the U.S. Army was likely going to fare far better in German captivity than a Ukrainian serving in (and captured from) the Red Army. In fact, I am not aware of any distinct Germany treatment of western POWs with Slavic origins, though it would not surprise me if it existed at some level. But again, a USAAF Pole from Milwaukee was going to be much likelier to survive Germany captivity than a Polish Pole from Krakow.

This is not to say that Jews and others did not suffer in captivity for reasons of religion and/or national origin. Being a Christian POW of 'good Germanic stock' due to the 'scientific racism' practiced in the Third Reich gave one a certain leg up. But in the confused and often contradictory morass of German racial thinking, politics was often allowed to trump logic (not surprising, given how tenuous such thinking was).

There were indeed instances of attempts to separate Jews from non-Jews among western POWs. Here are some examples:
Jewish POWs In A Nazi Concentration Camp
Jewish POW's at Colditz Castle
Interesting point. Surely there were Slavic surnames turning up among the US and Brit POW's, that you'd think would have been a red flag to their German captors, if the sorting and categorizing by "race" (not that Slav is a race, mind you) would have been consistent. Yet they did go after Jews, no matter what passport they were under. Interesting. I guess Slavs were viewed as Christians, so, while deemed inferior, they weren't enemies of Christianity.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OK, I have a question, as I process Hulsker's points. If Slavs were considered an inferior group, was there a category for Balts? No, I guess not. The Baltic States allied with Germany, so the issue didn't come up. Ok, carry on.

Oh, wait. What about German surnames that turned up among the Russian POW's? Were those identified as Germans, or did their red passports speak for them?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Actually the Germans took a pragmatic approach to the Slavic question especially if they could be useful to the prosecution of the war. Despite the propaganda rhetoric thousands of Slavs were released from prisoner of war camps to fight alongside the Nazis in a large military unit called the Russian Liberation Army under the command of the Soviet turncoat general Vlasov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History