Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:00 PM

103 posts, read 212,961 times

Advertisements

Here is another jab at American history, explained by a 3 year old lol. I thought this was funny interesting. Why didn't anyone think of this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 AM

658 posts, read 721,435 times
I read somewhere that Rosa Parks refusing to move to the back of the bus was completely orchestrated and there were a group of people involved in making that happen. It wasn't just a woman on a bus and it organically happened out of the blue. Either way though, it was something that had to happen and she had the guts to do it.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I read somewhere that Rosa Parks refusing to move to the back of the bus was completely orchestrated and there were a group of people involved in making that happen. It wasn't just a woman on a bus and it organically happened out of the blue. Either way though, it was something that had to happen and she had the guts to do it.
This is correct. It was completely planned in advance through the NAACP, as part of the Civil Rights movement. And the narrator in the video gave the time frame incorrectly; it happened in the mid-50's, not the 60's.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
OP is why I do not accept most youtube videos to be accurate sources of anything.

What Camilla and Ruth mentioned is correct. The Montgomery Bus Boycott occurred in the 1950s, not 1960s. Also Rosa Parks was a very experienced Civil Rights activist. She was middle class, had a good reputation and was light skinned and her being arrested and the local chapter of the NAACP using her arrest to galvanize a protest was a planned event. Most Civil Rights incidences were planned events.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:23 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
There was an Alabama teenage girl who shortly before the Rosa Parks incident had done a similar act of defiance, but the NAACP did not latch onto her case, feeling that she was an unwed mother and the public would likely scorn her.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 PM

103 posts, read 212,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
OP is why I do not accept most youtube videos to be accurate sources of anything.

What Camilla and Ruth mentioned is correct. The Montgomery Bus Boycott occurred in the 1950s, not 1960s. Also Rosa Parks was a very experienced Civil Rights activist. She was middle class, had a good reputation and was light skinned and her being arrested and the local chapter of the NAACP using her arrest to galvanize a protest was a planned event. Most Civil Rights incidences were planned events.
If you watched the video, in the footer, there is a note that says "actual occurrence was in 1955"

Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,462 times
It's important to note that some accounts (one is below) report that Rosa Parks was already seated in the black section of the filled-up bus when the white man ordered her to vacate her seat for him. She refused.

James Blake, 89; Driver Had Rosa Parks Arrested - latimes

Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Rosa Parks was a NAACP employee, and planted on that bus. It was orchestrated. However, it did accomplish the intended uproar, and eventually led to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which was a good thing.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzy View Post
If you watched the video, in the footer, there is a note that says "actual occurrence was in 1955"
I didn't watch the video. Primarily because, as I noted, I don't consider videos to be valid sources unless they are by people who are lecturers who provide a list of source material, which is not often.

The title of this thread regarding the "real reason" reminded me of propaganda. I don't often allow myself to experience propagandized material.

Also, I know about the reason why Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. It was a planned event as noted - she was following the plan. At the time about 75% of riders of the Montgomery buses were black. Many of them had already been arrested/jailed and this was planned in order to rile up the community and galvanize them into supporting a boycott. I don't need a video to tell me this because I read books and was even blessed to have met Rosa Parks when I was a teenager at an event about the significance and history of the bus boycott.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
False. Civil rights groups had been planting protesters on buses in the hope of a case going to court for some time, but prosecutors didn't take the bait and all those charges were dropped. A couple of teenage girls who weren't part of the protests were charged before Parks, but NAACP officials didn't feel they would make good cases for various reasons. Rosa Parks really just didn't want to give up her seat.

One thing many people aren't aware of is that Parks was originally seated in the black section of the bus, but when the white section filled up the she refused to move to make more room for white folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History