Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 491 times

Advertisements

I and my two first-cousins, all from Dallas, attended Camp Holy Cross in the summer of 1944. As two 9-year-olds and a 6-year-old, we rode a train by ourselves from Dallas. We had our own stateroom on the train. (You wouldn't see that today.) The attendees were divided into four Indian tribes: Comanche (red), Kiowa (yellow), Ute (blue), and Cheyenne (green). We were housed in the college dormitory, just across the road from the chapel, except a night or two when we camped in the woods. We ate our meals in the basement of the church, which was entered by way of a freight elevator. Most meals other than breakfast featured "bug juice," a beverage which was likely red Kool-aid. We were required to be in our room in mid-afternoon for nap time, not even allowed to go to the bathroom. Transgressors received a rap on the head by the much-feared hard knuckle of a brother, whose name I cannot remember. We swam, rode horses, and attended camp fires (at which the older boys performed Indian rituals in full regalia, including war bonnets). We had a snipe hunt, which was particularly unsuccessful, no snipe being captured in the bags we held. Our prayer to the Indian deity (Manitou?), "O-Wa-Ta-Gu-Siam," was apparently unheard. We were taken into town for a western movie or two, to the State Penitentiary (where I sat in the electric chair), and to Royal Gorge. It was a grand time in our lives, never to be forgotten. I am 83 now and a retired Texas Criminal District Judge. If any other "survivors" see this, I can be reached at Moderator Note: Email address removed. Use Direct Messages.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-12-2018 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: removed email address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History