Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 AM

152 posts, read 99,254 times

Advertisements

Of the following, who would be the most comfortable in today's world?

Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Abraham Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt
Susan B. Anthony
Harriet Tubman
Andrew Jackson
Thomas Edison
Nikola Tesla

I'd say Ben Franklin, he'd marvel at today's technologies and be right at home with today's sexual openness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 10:11 AM

461 posts, read 546,290 times
Ben Franklin. He'd fit right in, drunk/high and chasing hoes. Teddy Roosevelt would be fighting UFC.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Andrew Jackson would last about 2 days before ending up in jail - he would be beating other politicians with a cane, challenging them to duals, looking for Indians or Englishmen to kill. He wouldn't adapt.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
None of them would be comfortable in the world (and our country) that now exists. Too much different from the days they knew...

I'd love for them to come back though and give us much-needed words and wisdom. Not that they would be truly listened to and their advice heeded, but still good to note.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:35 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
Of the following, who would be the most comfortable in today's world?

Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Abraham Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt
Susan B. Anthony
Harriet Tubman
Andrew Jackson
Thomas Edison
Nikola Tesla

I'd say Ben Franklin, he'd marvel at today's technologies and be right at home with today's sexual openness.
They would mostly be appalled. This is not due to any particular deficiency on their parts other than simply being creatures of another time. For the same reason, historical figures from two or three hundred years before the times in which those of the above lived would also mostly be appalled if they were somehow able to experience the latter 1700s and the 1800s - and how the giants of today would similarly feel about whatever world is to be found a couple of centuries from now.

If pressed to answer your question, I'd probably go with Lincoln. At the same time, I have enough self-awareness to understand that I'm not unbiased and am likely just substituting my admiration for the man for a proper assessment of his likely reaction to the 21st century.

The fantasy that historical figures were timeless sages the likes of which are no longer found is a silly and trite bit of hero-worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History