Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 01:42 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

I've wondered for years why some city positions (public offices) use political affiliation?

For example, county coroner. How would the coroner's political affiliation be relevant to understanding and determining someone else's cause of death?

Same for surveyor. Measuring boundaries has nothing to do with what party someone might belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 02:33 PM

179 posts, read 80,645 times
Throwback to the old machine politics era, where all state and local jobs changed hands when a new party won the major elections. Don't think it means much now, except in the old cities like Chicago and NYC< where machine politics are still a big deal. Except for Sheriff's depts., for some odd reason, in the western states. Still don't get that. your Party bosses actually sold the jobs according to how much income one could milk from them, they had price lists for what a job cost, like policeman, street sweeper, District Attorney, Judge. IIRC at one point in NYC a policeman's appointment sold for $2000.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:35 PM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Reward for party support.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:36 PM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberonKing View Post
Throwback to the old machine politics era, where all state and local jobs changed hands when a new party won the major elections. Don't think it means much now, except in the old cities like Chicago and NYC< where machine politics are still a big deal. Except for Sheriff's depts., for some odd reason, in the western states. Still don't get that.
Because in some states the Sheriff is the lead law enforcement officer for the County. Political party can sometimes indicate the law enforcement philosophy of the Sheriff.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:55 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberonKing View Post
Throwback to the old machine politics era, where all state and local jobs changed hands when a new party won the major elections. Don't think it means much now, except in the old cities like Chicago and NYC< where machine politics are still a big deal. Except for Sheriff's depts., for some odd reason, in the western states.
Thanks. I was starting to think it was an old carry-over. Just "the way it's been done", and people are uneasy or simply lazy with changing the approach. Maybe it's "worked" for years, and can be useful with power-plays and political games.

The town I'm thinking of is somewhat small (100K), and does seem to be run by the good old boys. If I twist my thinking a bit, and add a nod and wink, I can maybe see where they can come up with a justification for it. The masons also seem to be doing things behind the scenes. It's sort of a western-ish town. Maybe that's as far as I want to look behind the curtain.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Thanks. I was starting to think it was an old carry-over. Just "the way it's been done", and people are uneasy or simply lazy with changing the approach. Maybe it's "worked" for years, and can be useful with power-plays and political games.

The town I'm thinking of is somewhat small (100K), and does seem to be run by the good old boys. If I twist my thinking a bit, and add a nod and wink, I can maybe see where they can come up with a justification for it. The masons also seem to be doing things behind the scenes. It's sort of a western-ish town. Maybe that's as far as I want to look behind the curtain.

My little town of 15,000 or so is pretty much the same, a little clique tries to dominate, only the low voter turnouts for local elections makes it possible for *******s like me to occasionally deal them losses; they now know better than try and harass me via city depts., since I',m not the least bit afraid to sue or be sued. Sometimes getting your own little clique is easy enough; I do a lot of 'grass roots' charity stuff, and grew up here, and can get a group of like minded voters together of maybe 140 or so, which is a big deal when some turnouts are only 800 voters or so for may elections.

If one doesn't want to or can't afford to use their own money, then gaining Party support is the only way to run for the higher offices, so there's that.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because in some states the Sheriff is the lead law enforcement officer for the County. Political party can sometimes indicate the law enforcement philosophy of the Sheriff.

Sounds right. In my County, we large unincorporated areas, and that seems to be their territory. they are also nearly always involved in some corruption scandal or other every few years, it seems like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History