Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 05:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Anyone who was either born here or who has sworn the oath of citizenship is a REAL American.
Even immigrants who still can't speak English or only watches TV and eats food from their home country? The only way they look American is their clothes or that they drive because they have to. They are living in their own world inside the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:21 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Even immigrants who still can't speak English or only watches TV and eats food from their home country? The only way they look American is their clothes or that they drive because they have to. They are living in their own world inside the USA.
There is no 'American' look.

Yes, Puerto Ricans are Americans, even those that don't speak English (ie, the majority of Puerto Ricans).

Yes, the several thousand monolingual Navajo speakers are Americans.

Yes, the German immigrants in the 19th century - many of whom spoke only German and sent their children to German-language schools and read German-language newspapers published right here in the United States - were Americans.

You don't get to decide who and who is or is not American just because you don't like the language they speak or the food they eat.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I would love to ask people with this mindset, what have YOU done for America that makes you think you are such a great American. Or are you riding the backs of your forefathers for legitimacy. Even our president who is known for maga would not qualify as a real American. His grandfather emigrated from Bavaria, Germany in 1885.

Last edited by txfriend; 02-20-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 02-21-2019, 12:25 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Anyone who was either born here or who has sworn the oath of citizenship is a REAL American.
Any person, whose father or mother is a citizen of the US, is a Citizen of the US.

To wit, my grandson, born 4 months ago in the UK to an American father and a UK mother is now a US Citizen and has a US passport to prove it.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Am I MORE American because my blood heritage on mother /father’ sides has been documented back to the early 1600s?

Eligible for DAR if I cared to join but not my thing
It’s nice to know but IMO doesn’t make me MORE American than say someone who enlisted in the military to EARN citizenship early and fought for America directly...

Or consider someone who is a pedophile—
Do I want that person to be an American—
It would be nice to strip citizenship and kick him out of the country
But that won’t happen...

Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Any person, whose father or mother is a citizen of the US, is a Citizen of the US.

To wit, my grandson, born 4 months ago in the UK to an American father and a UK mother is now a US Citizen and has a US passport to prove it.
But he can claim dual citizenship and get the stipen the UK pays for babies—

Old 02-22-2019, 12:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But he can claim dual citizenship and get the stipen the UK pays for babies—
Thanks. He automatically became a British citizen when he was born in London and his mother is a British citizen.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The problem is America is a new world country.
So? Other people from new world countries identify with their country. One can say that they are from "Chile" or "Colombia" for example, and no one would ask "but where are you really from? Where's your family from?" All new world countries are "nations of immigrants", but they are allowed to identify with their respective countries.

For some reason people think the the United States is not a country that people can be from, even though it's an older nation than most. That's crazy to me.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
So? Other people from new world countries identify with their country. One can say that they are from "Chile" or "Colombia" for example, and no one would ask "but where are you really from? Where's your family from?" All new world countries are "nations of immigrants", but they are allowed to identify with their respective countries.

For some reason people think the the United States is not a country that people can be from, even though it's an older nation than most. That's crazy to me.
Wouldnt dream of asking an American wheres your family from , it wouldnt even occur to me.. Isnt it actually Americans who go on more about their geneology and heritage or at least it looks like that on this forum.. they seem fascinated with their past...

Old 02-26-2019, 11:11 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Wouldnt dream of asking an American wheres your family from , it wouldnt even occur to me.. Isnt it actually Americans who go on more about their geneology and heritage or at least it looks like that on this forum.. they seem fascinated with their past...
It is part of that "melting pot" idea of America -- 'E Pluribus Unum' in a way. But it is more rightly considered a gumbo of many different people and cultures mixed together. There is a lot of curiosity and some aspects that seem outside of someone's notion of what "normal" might be. We all live in some sort of bubble and just the mix of surnames will prompt some curiosity. In Scotland it might be different if everyone in a person's bubble seems to be from a common stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History