Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 AM

196 posts, read 182,809 times

Advertisements

How was American life like during the years bill Clinton was President
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
It was okay.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Probably better, in the widest range of categories, than most other 8-year periods since WWII. Mostly due to a booming economy that was fairly well managed at a federal level.

That said, I can't make any connection between the OP question and the subject line.

Last edited by Quietude; 01-04-2019 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Clinton was in the WH after the Cold War ended in 1991 and the federal government kept most of the revenues from those cutbacks and add the dot.com economy. He signed NAFTA which was bad for the working class but that's another topic.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Clinton was in the WH after the Cold War ended in 1991 and the federal government kept most of the revenues from those cutbacks and add the dot.com economy.
Which were used to balance the US budget for the first time in decades, no small achievement.

Which is why I said "fairly well managed at a federal level." Because that administration didn't play the R card of slashing taxes for the wealthy while ballooning the federal debt; Clinton was handed a rare asset and played it to the best overall benefit.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which were used to balance the US budget for the first time in decades, no small achievement.

Which is why I said "fairly well managed at a federal level." Because that administration didn't play the R card of slashing taxes for the wealthy while ballooning the federal debt; Clinton was handed a rare asset and played it to the best overall benefit.

the problem with the federal government is not tax cuts, it's SPENDING. Billions of dollars a year we spend in endless wars and endless occupations and to protect the banking investments of Wall Street around the world that has no benefit to the average American.

and Clinton was forced by the GOP Congress to cut spending to balance that federal budget. Too bad the national debt kept going up. Didn't Bill Clinton say in 1996: " The era of big government is over"......turned out that was just words. In Washington, we don't have a 2 party system. We just have 1 ruling elite class.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
In Washington, we don't have a 2 party system. We just have 1 ruling elite class.
The national debt declined across Clinton's administration, but I'm sure you have a contravailing theory on that, too.

Last edited by Quietude; 01-04-2019 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 05:30 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
I was not a big fan of Janet Reno or Madeleine Albright, but there was a little good stuff here and there, which came out of the Clinton Administration. He signed the 3 strikes bill, and his welfare reform plan made generational welfare a little bit harder (just a little, lol).

I think the most brilliant thing to come out of the Clinton White House, was Don't Ask, Don't Tell. This was the perfect solution not only for the military, but a good policy that should have been applied in the workplace as well. You shouldn't be mentioning your sex life at work anyway, or in a job interview. It's nobody's business at work, what your preferences are. They shouldn't ask you, and you shouldn't tell them. Smart, very smart.

Clinton also continued the bombing of Iraq. Whenever Saddam stepped out of line, Clinton used the planes. He kept pressure on Iran as well, and stepped up the sanctions on Iran. He found a peaceful solution to the mess in former Yugoslavia, but not one that satisfied all sides, but heck, this was a European problem and they did nothing to put a stop to it. Everything was left to the UN, which we had to pay for, and US forces, to go in there and fix it.

Then there was the bad stuff, which I have just realized might take 5 more paragraphs and I'm tired of typing for now. Maybe later when I have a whole day to kill or something.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The national debt declined across Clinton's administration, but I'm sure you have a contravailing theory on that, too.

the national debt declined across the Clinton's years? lol..... I guess data and facts are theories now.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Everything goes up in unadjusted dollars. Try a more meaningful presentation like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History