Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 PM

9,166 posts, read 13,212,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I stumbled across this the other day and had never heard of it.

Blast about 1/4 the size of Hiroshima killing 2,000 people and injuring almost 9,000.

Also caused a localized Tsunami. Wow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
We could go on all day listing more or less forgotten disasters - things like the Boston Molasses Flood, which killed 21 people in what might be the most bizarre industrial accident of all time.

It's strange how we are so selective about them - such as the endless attention given the Titanic. I suspect if it had been a freighter with nothing but steerage passengers, it would be little remembered as well.
I was in Halifax when I first heard of the explosion, before that I never heard of it either.

It is interesting that Quietude mentioned the Titanic and other disasters. It was also in Halifax that learned of another major ship sinking that White Star Lines had.

RMS Atlantic
About 4 decades earlier then Titanic, in 1873, the White Star Lines ocean line RMS Atlantic sank when hitting rocks near Nova Scotia. Of the more then 950 people on board, 535 died.

- of the 156 women on board - all died

- of the 189 children on board, only one survived.

- however of the 141 crew members on board, only ten died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,710,224 times
Quote:
We could go on all day listing more or less forgotten disasters - things like the Boston Molasses Flood, which killed 21 people in what might be the most bizarre industrial accident of all time.

It's strange how we are so selective about them - such as the endless attention given the Titanic. I suspect if it had been a freighter with nothing but steerage passengers, it would be little remembered as well.
Lots of examples...Johnston flood.....Triangle shirtwaist fire....

Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,548,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I was in Halifax when I first heard of the explosion, before that I never heard of it either.

It is interesting that Quietude mentioned the Titanic and other disasters. It was also in Halifax that learned of another major ship sinking that White Star Lines had.

RMS Atlantic
About 4 decades earlier then Titanic, in 1873, the White Star Lines ocean line RMS Atlantic sank when hitting rocks near Nova Scotia. Of the more then 950 people on board, 535 died.

- of the 156 women on board - all died

- of the 189 children on board, only one survived.

- however of the 141 crew members on board, only ten died.
All 10 lifeboats were washed away after being lowered, the ship went down too fast. It was every man for himself, which is why the weakest perished.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,034,407 times
Quote:

The Empress of Ireland tragedy, which had killed more passengers than the Titanic, caused by entering in collision with a Norwegian ship, the Storstad during a foggy night in 1914 was overshadowed by another tragedy a couple of days later, the assassination of Archiduke Franz-Ferdinand which had lead to WWI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Empress_of_Ireland

Old 08-05-2020, 02:33 AM

4,533 posts, read 12,380,838 times
I always wondered why/how could one ship exploding kill so many people.

I think this Youtube video (first 40 seconds) of the Beirut explosion explains why and how so many people could die in Halifax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shap1w3NvZQ

Old 08-06-2020, 02:00 PM

3,237 posts, read 2,380,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I stumbled across this the other day and had never heard of it.

Blast about 1/4 the size of Hiroshima killing 2,000 people and injuring almost 9,000.

Also caused a localized Tsunami. Wow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion
Fortunately the explosion in Beirut yesterday was smaller than that explosion of 1917 in Halifax.

By the way, if you look at the picture in this wikipedia article you will see that SS Imo still looks surprisingly good after such a strong explosion. Much greater damage could have been expected.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:05 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,186,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Fortunately the explosion in Beirut yesterday was smaller than that explosion of 1917 in Halifax.
Was it? I couldn't find solid data. Halifax was about 4500 tons of high explosive; Beirut about 2750 tons of AN, but in a much more "effective" and exposed configuration. Plus whatever surrounded it, fireworks ingredients, bunker crude, etc.

I know it was believed to be the largest man-made explosion before 1945, and still ranks in the top few for conventional detonations, even the gigantic pseudo-nuke tests.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:38 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,240,479 times
Not too many know about the explosion of the Alum Chine in Baltimore Harbor in 1913.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum_Chine_explosion

Sixth-largest non-nuclear explosion.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:44 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,710,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
The Empress of Ireland tragedy, which had killed more passengers than the Titanic, caused by entering in collision with a Norwegian ship, the Storstad during a foggy night in 1914 was overshadowed by another tragedy a couple of days later, the assassination of Archiduke Franz-Ferdinand which had lead to WWI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Empress_of_Ireland
Cap Arcona is another terrible story...To make it through the war and survive the German KZ lager. only to be killed by the Allies AFTER the surrender......I couldn't imagine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Cap_Arcona#Sinking

https://theconversation.com/why-the-...on-board-75903

Old 08-06-2020, 04:15 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,186,495 times
There's also the Port Arthur, Texas and the Port Chicago, CA explosions in WWII. Both from mishandling of munitions being loaded. The latter killed 332 people, many of them Black laborers who had been complaining about poor training, poor safety practices and overwork.

And I was quite close to the Roseville Train Yard disaster of 1973... and then just a few hundred feet away when they detonated some discovered UXO around 1998. At two in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History