Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 PM

193 posts, read 204,814 times

Advertisements

Much has been written about Richmond as Capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War but less well known is the extent of pro-Union sentiment in the city during that time. Surely the most notorious Richmond Unionist of them all was Elizabeth Van Lew (1818-1900), an abolitionist who, among other daring deeds, helped Union prisoners escape from the notorious Libby Prison by smuggling tools (for digging tunnels) inside food she would bring to the starving Yankees. To throw-off Rebel sentries, Van Lew would reportedly mutter and sing to herself thereby giving the appearance of being just a harmless old lady--"Crazy Bett" as she became known. After the prisoners escaped, she would hide them in secret rooms within the attics of her nearby mansion. When the coast was clear Van Lew would help get them to Union lines just outside the city.

Elizabeth Van Lew also operated arguably the most sophisticated spy network of the War. Her informants included clerks inside the Confederate War and Navy Departments as well as a servant (Mary Bowser) who worked inside the Confederate White House. Van Lew developed a cipher system that she used in sending important Confederate troop information (inside hollow eggs) to Union Commanders. "Crazy Bett" was the first citizen to raise the Union flag over her home when Richmond fell on April 3, 1865, and the first citizen that General Ulysses Grant visited when he came to the city shortly thereafter. Years later, in gratitude for her patriotism, President Grant made Van Lew Postmaster General of Richmond.

After the War, Van Lew was treated as a traitor by the people of her native city. When she died in 1900 she was destitute. Thanks to the generosity of Bostonians (whose sons and fathers she had helped free), enough money was raised for her tombstone which reads in part..."she risked everything that is dear to man--friends--fortune--comfort--health--life itself--all for the one absorbing desire of her heart--that slavery might be abolished and the Union preserved..."

Elizabeth Van Lew, "Crazy Bett" was buried vertically---facing North. She was inducted into the Military Intelligence Hall of Fame in 1993.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
There's an interesting episode on the Uncivil podcast about Van Lew and Mary Bowser. She also played a role in the Dahlgren Affair, and had Ulric Dahlgren's body located, dug up, and preserved for safekeeping until it could be returned to his family in Philadelphia.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
There's an interesting episode on the Uncivil podcast about Van Lew and Mary Bowser. She also played a role in the Dahlgren Affair, and had Ulric Dahlgren's body located, dug up, and preserved for safekeeping until it could be returned to his family in Philadelphia.

Speaking of Philadelphia, it is interesting to note the ties Elizabeth Van Lew had with the city. Her grandfather, Hilary Baker, served three terms as major of Philadelphia in the late 1790s. His portrait now hangs in the mayor's Reception Room of Philadelphia's City Hall. In the early 1830s, Elizabeth herself lived in Philly with relatives while she attended a Quaker academy. It was probably during this time that she developed her abolitionist leanings. Also, her brother John fled from Richmond to Philadelphia in 1864 to avoid being drafted into the Confederate army.

The number of pro-Unionists in Richmond during the War was considerable as was the Union spy network. However being too open about one's allegiance to the United States was a dangerous game to play as those suspected of treason were sent to the notorious Castle Thunder Prison--a hell-hole if there ever was one. And more than one spy was executed in Richmond. In 1862, Timothy Webster, a Pinkerton Agency operative was put to death--the first American to be hanged as a spy since Nathan Hale.

I've always been fascinated by the American Civil War, especially the extent to which pro-Union sentiment existed in the Confederate states. Unfortunately, this seems to be one aspect of the War that I've been unable to find much information on.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:39 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Much has been written about Richmond as Capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War but less well known is the extent of pro-Union sentiment in the city during that time. Surely the most notorious Richmond Unionist of them all was Elizabeth Van Lew (1818-1900), an abolitionist who, among other daring deeds, helped Union prisoners escape from the notorious Libby Prison by smuggling tools (for digging tunnels) inside food she would bring to the starving Yankees. To throw-off Rebel sentries, Van Lew would reportedly mutter and sing to herself thereby giving the appearance of being just a harmless old lady--"Crazy Bett" as she became known. After the prisoners escaped, she would hide them in secret rooms within the attics of her nearby mansion. When the coast was clear Van Lew would help get them to Union lines just outside the city.

Elizabeth Van Lew also operated arguably the most sophisticated spy network of the War. Her informants included clerks inside the Confederate War and Navy Departments as well as a servant (Mary Bowser) who worked inside the Confederate White House. Van Lew developed a cipher system that she used in sending important Confederate troop information (inside hollow eggs) to Union Commanders. "Crazy Bett" was the first citizen to raise the Union flag over her home when Richmond fell on April 3, 1865, and the first citizen that General Ulysses Grant visited when he came to the city shortly thereafter. Years later, in gratitude for her patriotism, President Grant made Van Lew Postmaster General of Richmond.

After the War, Van Lew was treated as a traitor by the people of her native city. When she died in 1900 she was destitute. Thanks to the generosity of Bostonians (whose sons and fathers she had helped free), enough money was raised for her tombstone which reads in part..."she risked everything that is dear to man--friends--fortune--comfort--health--life itself--all for the one absorbing desire of her heart--that slavery might be abolished and the Union preserved..."

Elizabeth Van Lew, "Crazy Bett" was buried vertically---facing North. She was inducted into the Military Intelligence Hall of Fame in 1993.
This sounds like it would make for fascinating research &/or dissertation &/or book. Tens of thousands of books have been written about the American Civil War era, fewer but still many on its aftermath. Would you be interested in doing something along these lines?

Please note: Nothing on Elizabeth Van Lew listed below just 6 or so pages of possible topics:

"The following is a list of possible research paper topics. A research paper is not a report. Instead, it must deal with a specific issue, and should prove a specific thesis. The following topics provide ideas for the focus of a paper, but they are not thesis statements. Remember to be as specific as possible when writing your thesis."

http://www.wcusd15.org/kershaw/ENG%2...r%20Topics.pdf

Old 02-21-2019, 04:53 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
There are several books about her.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
There are several books about her.
OP referred to the "extent of pro-Union sentiment" in the Slave States. There are tens of thousands of books about the American Civil War, out of those, very few on this topic.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This sounds like it would make for fascinating research &/or dissertation &/or book. Tens of thousands of books have been written about the American Civil War era, fewer but still many on its aftermath. Would you be interested in doing something along these lines?

Please note: Nothing on Elizabeth Van Lew listed below just 6 or so pages of possible topics:

"The following is a list of possible research paper topics. A research paper is not a report. Instead, it must deal with a specific issue, and should prove a specific thesis. The following topics provide ideas for the focus of a paper, but they are not thesis statements. Remember to be as specific as possible when writing your thesis."

http://www.wcusd15.org/kershaw/ENG%2...r%20Topics.pdf

Researching the extent of pro-Unionist sentiment in the South before and during the Civil War is something I'm interesting in doing but writing a research paper would be problematic for me at this time. I started this thread mainly to honor the memory of Elizabeth Van Lew-- a great American patriot who is largely forgotten today. Other than an historical plaque at the site of her beautiful mansion (demolished in 1911), and her gravestone at Shockoe Cemetery, there is nothing in Richmond today (that I know of) to honor the tremendous courage and sacrifice of this remarkable woman. I was also hoping that others who share my interest on this topic (pro-Union sentiment) might chime in with their thoughts and any recommendations they might have for further reading.

Last edited by VTinPhilly; 02-21-2019 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Researching the extent of pro-Unionist sentiment in the South before and during the Civil War is something I'm interesting in doing but writing a research paper would be problematic for me at this time. I started this thread mainly to honor the memory of Elizabeth Van Lew-- a great American patriot who is largely forgotten today. Other than an historical plaque at the site of her beautiful mansion (demolished in 1911), and her gravestone at Shockoe Cemetery, there is nothing in Richmond today (that I know of) to honor the tremendous courage and sacrifice of this remarkable woman. I was also hoping that others who share my interest on this topic (pro-Union sentiment) might chime in with their thoughts and any recommendations they might have for further reading.
Unfortunately I was unaware of Elizabeth Van Lew's great courage, patriotism & sacrifice until I read your OP! Perhaps there are others here who can point you in the right direction for further study? I will surely share anything that I find that might be helpful to you.

You have already honored her memory by your post, best wishes in further endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History