Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times

Advertisements

Gee, it got quiet in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Rather than going back through every post, I’ll just pick an easy one (yes I know it’s not yours)

The “foes” are anything but imaginary. This is mainstream thought.
People just get worked up over slavery, even if it was 160 years ago. From there, they craft a “good vs evil” story so that it makes sense even if it’s incredibly naive.
I am not responsible for anyone's posts save my own. Trying to assign me a position I have not taken by quoting some other poster...what can I say? Is it alright with you if I demand that you defend the positions of some poster I select? What were you thinking?

Quote:
The “foes” are anything but imaginary. This is mainstream thought.
This is the history board. Have you ever read a history book, came across a footnote, and when you looked it up it read "Mainstream thought?" You deny that you are just making this stuff up, and follow it immediately with the universal refuge of the sourceless..."mainstream thought", why not "everyone knows this" or "It's common knowledge?" All certified by the University of the Atmosphere.

Last edited by Grandstander; 05-10-2019 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 06:39 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I am not responsible for anyone's posts save my own. Trying to assign me a position I have not taken by quoting some other poster...what can I say? Is it alright with you if I demand that you defend the positions of some poster I select? What were you thinking?

This is the history board. Have you ever read a history book, came across a footnote, and when you looked it up it read "Mainstream thought?" You deny that you are just making this stuff up, and follow it immediately with the universal refuge of the sourceless..."mainstream thought", why not "everyone knows this" or "It's common knowledge?" All certified by the University of the Atmosphere.
I can’t find the particular post that gave me that impression, so if I’m sorry if I pegged you wrong. What I don’t understand is why you feel the need to defend the views of the entire board as those post aren’t your own either.
When it comes down to mainstream thought, you’re no more entitled speak to what you think that is than I am. History books are written by the winners. The evil deeds of the south are deeply detailed while those of the north are barely mentioned. When you dig deeper into history books you get more context. The problem is high school history books don’t have that kind of time and that’s the abreviated mainstream education that the majority of people are getting.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
When it comes down to mainstream thought, you’re no more entitled speak to what you think that is than I am.
Yes, the difference being that I have made no attempt to pretend that my positions are backed by made up sources.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:50 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Yes

Old 05-11-2019, 08:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Old Gringo surely believes this.
No I don't.

It simply isn't an article of faith.

The Confederacy was formed to preserve slavery.

THAT is the reality.

The North reacted to the South's secession to preserve the union.

And that secession was taken by the Confederacy to maintain slavery.

It was a very poor decision on their part.

Their resulting war abolished the slavery they held so dear, killed nearly a million Americans, and devastated their economy for decades.

Quote:
So does Grandstander. So does about 70% of the country. The fact you don’t seem aware of this misconception is odd.
Misconception, you say.

amusing...

Carry on.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
History books are written by the winners. .
The above is a cliche, you seem to be placing a lot of your reliance on cliches.

In the latter part of the 19th Century, an entire field of Lost Cause literature came into being, all of it written by southerners, former generals, former Confederate office holders, offering the states rights interpretation of the war. It was designed to make secession look like it was honorable and justified.

Now, these people lost the war, but produced a massive amount of history explaining why they did, and why theirs was a noble cause. History is written by the losers as well.

The same holds true for the Vietnam war. Go to Amazon and search for Vietnam war books. The first page has 22 books listed, written by people with names such as St. John, Jennings, Hastings, Burns, O' Brien, Karnow, Brown, Moore.....all names which I'm pretty sure aren't Vietnamese. There isn't one Vietnamese name among the 22 book authors listed.

That is another example of history being written by the losers.

So, if you are going about armed with cliches in your holster, it might not be a bad idea for you to put some effort into figuring out if they are actually true or not before you draw and fire.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:47 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
The above is a cliche, you seem to be placing a lot of your reliance on cliches.

In the latter part of the 19th Century, an entire field of Lost Cause literature came into being, all of it written by southerners, former generals, former Confederate office holders, offering the states rights interpretation of the war. It was designed to make secession look like it was honorable and justified.
I have also read a book about the U.S. Revolutionary War written from the British point of view. In democracies the losers can safely write volumes. A Crimean author would not feel so safe writing a book about the recent Russian invasion. Ditto a book published in Russia about the Holodomer. Or a book by a Jew even in post-Communist Poland about Auschwitz-Birkenau.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No I don't.

It simply isn't an article of faith.

The Confederacy was formed to preserve slavery.

THAT is the reality.

The North reacted to the South's secession to preserve the union.

And that secession was taken by the Confederacy to maintain slavery.

It was a very poor decision on their part.

Their resulting war abolished the slavery they held so dear, killed nearly a million Americans, and devastated their economy for decades.

Misconception, you say.

amusing...

Carry on.

And you’ve proven my point.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Now, these people lost the war, but produced a massive amount of history explaining why they did, and why theirs was a noble cause. History is written by the losers as well.

The same holds true for the Vietnam war. Go to Amazon and search for Vietnam war books. The first page has 22 books listed, written by people with names such as St. John, Jennings, Hastings, Burns, O' Brien, Karnow, Brown, Moore.....all names which I'm pretty sure aren't Vietnamese. There isn't one Vietnamese name among the 22 book authors listed.

That is another example of history being written by the losers.

So, if you are going about armed with cliches in your holster, it might not be a bad idea for you to put some effort into figuring out if they are actually true or not before you draw and fire.
You’re naive. It’s a cliche, but it a true cliche. If you’re in the South, you’ll hear it from the South’s perspective. If you’re in the North the idea of burning down cities, homes, and farms will be justified as a necessary evil. All Americans typically believe the Revolutionary War was an honorable war. Nobody wants to read a book about us being the bad guys. If we do anything bad, plenty is written about the other side doing something worse to justify it.

You’re American, the books about Vietnam you’ll read will be from Americans. In Vietnam. It will be the opposite and I’m sure they have a different take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History