Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:15 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

I dislike alternative history, but I found these two amazing stories, Birger Stromsheim, Hero on Skis in an Anti-Nazi Raid, Dies at 101 and Joachim Ronneberg, Leader of Raid That Thwarted a Nazi Atomic Bomb, Dies at 99 while cleaning out old newspapers. I researched the topic further and found this pre-obituary article about Mr. Ronnenberg, WWII Hero Credits Luck and Chance in Foiling Hitler’s Nuclear Ambitions.

From the final linked article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Ronnenberg as quoted in New York Times
“They (the British army) just said it (the heavy water plant) was important and had to be blown up....”

“The first time I heard about atom bombs and heavy water was after the Americans dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki....Then we started to understand our raid and why.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times article text
And also that, had it failed, London could have ended up “looking like Hiroshima.” This belated realization of the huge stakes at play “was a tremendous satisfaction,” he said.
Historians have long argued over how close Hitler came to developing nuclear weapons. A German historian claimed in a controversial 2005 book that the Nazis conducted several nuclear weapons tests in 1944-45.
Given the demonic nature of the Nazi regime, one wonders what would have happened but for the derring-do of these adventurer-heroes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 12:23 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Watch The Man in the High Castle for a glimpse.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM

The movie "Telemark" was about that adventure.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:37 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I question whether the "missed it by that much!" group understand how much power was required in the early days of atom bombs. Roughly 60% of the output of the entire TVA went towards government projects (read bombmaking). Efforts at advanced technology sucked a lot of resources from Germany as it was.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Even if they got it first, the ruskies, brits, americans and others would have been on the case...even moreso once one or two were exploded. I'm not even sure the Germans had a plane capable of carrying the first atomic bombs.

Any alternative history would have had to take into account that they likely couldn't have produced more than 1/2 dozen weak bombs before someone else got them also...and given that a million dead was a rounding error, it may have just made the Russians and Americans and Brits even angrier and they'd use conventional weapons to smash Germany even quicker.

Now...if we really wanted to play that game and say "What if they had the Bomb in 1941?".....well, I think then that Germany would have gotten by treaty a lot of their Reich and there may have been relative peace until the USA and what was left of Russia and perhaps others could have figured out what came next. As bad as Atomic Bombs are, long range missiles with nerve agents and bio weapons and other things could have kept Hitler at the table. He was crazy but in the end what he and many others wanted was to be the single superior Superpower....not to occupy every square meter of the world.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:06 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
A-bombs didn't have much tactical value, they just destroyed resources within tiny part of the theater. Hitler would have recognized that they wouldn't further his cause cost-effectively. They wouldn't have helped the US much in the Pacific a couple of years earlier, either.

The only way I can see Hitler wanting one was to simplify the blitz of London.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
A-bombs didn't have much tactical value, they just destroyed resources within tiny part of the theater. Hitler would have recognized that they wouldn't further his cause cost-effectively. They wouldn't have helped the US much in the Pacific a couple of years earlier, either.

The only way I can see Hitler wanting one was to simplify the blitz of London.
I would hate to see what someone as devoid of rationality or compassion as Hitler or Tojo would have done with nukes. We almost found out with the Islamic Republic of Iran. Moderator cut: Post your political opinions elsewhere.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-13-2019 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: This isn't the Politics forum.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
What if Nazis Had Gotten Nukes First?

Nun wurden wir alles Deutsch sprechen?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
What if Nazis Had Gotten Nukes First?

Nun wurden wir alles Deutsch sprechen?
Please translate.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:06 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I think it is the empty-headed mantra of doddering VFW flag-wavers, "(if it weren't for us), we'd all be speaking German"

For you who move their lips when you read, I guess I should have added the " " symbol.

BTW- if it weren't for all those doddering VFW flag-wavers, you'd be speaking Japanese in the Philippines now. I could add more here, but I'm sure readers have already formed their own opinions about your comment. <--That's not my thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History