Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times

Advertisements

i wish i was a little more knowledgeable that i am...but Christianity seems to have a almost commandment to "convert" others and i really cant say for certain if this compulsion to convert has caused more death and destruction than it has stimulated any goodness

Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
i wish i was a little more knowledgeable that i am...but Christianity seems to have a almost commandment to "convert" others and i really cant say for certain if this compulsion to convert has caused more death and destruction than it has stimulated any goodness
A "command" to convert others came with Christianity becoming the symbol of an empire. Once the Church was given a stake in the empire, it was obliged to provide theological support for the practices of the empire.

What Jesus actually said was: "Narrow is the way, which leads to life, and few will find it" and "If anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town."

Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
it was my understanding that Buddhism is NOT a religion but a philosophy and it is quite consistent to be a Christian and also Buddhist
Same with Christianity...the Sermon on the Mount, etc.

It's a philosophy. It's only those seeking power and/or people who like to be led around who make it into a hierarchy.

In the original days I don't think one could have been a Christian (attend weekly services) and also, for example, followed the path of a Buddhist monk.

There is no space in between those two religions tho - when you take them down to brass tacks. Some Christians (Quakers, for example) are quite close to Buddhism in terms of "it's all inside you".

Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
FWhat if the Roman Empire Selected Buddhism as its state religion instead of Christianity?
Things would be different.

Just think...

What if they adopted Hinduism instead?

or...

What about Zoroastrianism?

That'd be a hoot.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Same with Christianity...the Sermon on the Mount, etc.

It's a philosophy. It's only those seeking power and/or people who like to be led around who make it into a hierarchy.

In the original days I don't think one could have been a Christian (attend weekly services) and also, for example, followed the path of a Buddhist monk.

There is no space in between those two religions tho - when you take them down to brass tacks. Some Christians (Quakers, for example) are quite close to Buddhism in terms of "it's all inside you".
An important difference being that Buddhism, like Taoism, does not address the existence of a God.
Most of Christianity contains what I consider to be the three principle ingredients of a religion - A god save you, a dark force to punish you, and a reason to be miserable in the interim.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:15 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Things would be different.

Just think...

What if they adopted Hinduism instead?

or...

What about Zoroastrianism?

That'd be a hoot.
The topic is "What if the Roman Empire Selected Buddhism as its state religion instead of Christianity?"

What we know is that Constantine de-criminalized Christianity because it was politically advantageous for him to do so. He and following emperors then forged it into a tool for the purposes of the empire.

Any religion selected as the state religion by an empire will always be one that can be adapted to serve the purposes of the empire...or it will be discarded (if not suppressed).

So the answer to the OP question is that Hinduism or Zoroastrianism or anything else an empire found useful would be used the same way: To enhance the power of the empire.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Didn't acceptance of Christianity have a lot to do with many Roman soldiers worship of Mithras? an opportunity to combine two into one to consolidate likeness and power?

So a Buddist orientation wouldn't have had that same effect

Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The topic is "What if the Roman Empire Selected Buddhism as its state religion instead of Christianity?"
Clearly
Quote:
What we know is that Constantine de-criminalized Christianity because it was politically advantageous for him to do so. He and following emperors then forged it into a tool for the purposes of the empire.

Any religion selected as the state religion by an empire will always be one that can be adapted to serve the purposes of the empire...or it will be discarded (if not suppressed).
Religion is what discourages the masses from perpetual revolution.

Quote:
So the answer to the OP question is that Hinduism or Zoroastrianism or anything else an empire found useful would be used the same way: To enhance the power of the empire.
Any fantasy "what if" questions regarding an alternate view of history are absurd, actually.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:13 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Didn't acceptance of Christianity have a lot to do with many Roman soldiers worship of Mithras? an opportunity to combine two into one to consolidate likeness and power?

So a Buddist orientation wouldn't have had that same effect
On that subject, I would think that Pagans and Roman polytheists (Jupiter, Mars, and all that) could easily understand Christianity, but neither of them could easily accept Buddhism.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Most of Christianity contains what I consider to be the three principle ingredients of a religion - A god save you, a dark force to punish you, and a reason to be miserable in the interim.
That's the peanuts and crackerjack and other junk food version of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Religion is what discourages the masses from perpetual revolution.
Bread and circuses, with plenty of peanuts and crackerjack, and video games, just for example, do even an ever better job of it.

Let's throw some marijuana and a little opium - or to be contemporary inorganic, opioid and other synthetics - into the ingredient mix and we're as good as dead.

"Am I leading a rebellion?"

Last edited by bale002; 04-16-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History