Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times

Advertisements

Here is a documentary about Gordon Welchman. He was with Alan Turing at Bletchley Park in WW2 decoding Ultra. Quite a brilliant man. He was recruited by the US after WW2. Welchman designed the US defence system. He was castigated and hounded at the end of his life by US agents for recording the events into history by publishing a book. Without him they would have been forgotten. Turing was hounded by the British after WW2 as well, although for other reasons. The film mentions that Bletchley Park assessed the German force's strength in France in 1940 from their decrypts. British high ups using the data assessed also the French and Belgians concluding the small BEF's position was untenable, ordering a withdrawal even with the Germans still way to the east.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnr4pM-ntdc&t=1s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Welchman

Last edited by John-UK; 05-06-2019 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 04:16 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Gordon Welchman was a brillant man, however in terms of Bletchley you only often hear about Alan Turing when others such as Gordon Welchman, Bill Tutte, Tommy Flowers, Dilly Knox and Nigel de Grey were also equally brilliant.

Tutte broke the Lorez Cipher (Tunny) code, which was an even more advanced and diffulcult code than Enigma, whilst Tommy Flowers a British Post Office Engineer built Colossus, which was the world's first electronic, digital, programmable computer.

Bill Tutte: The unsung codebreaking hero of World War Two - BBC News

Celebrating Colossus, the codebreaking computer - BBC News

Welchman was also an extrodinary man, who was labelled a genius, however he fell out with the security services after publishing a book.

Bletchley Park remembers 'forgotten genius' Gordon Welchman • The Register

Margaret Thatcher warned of WW2 codebreaker 'security threat' - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-06-2019 at 04:26 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 04:54 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
If you don't mind, I'll add there were women decoders as well. Not long ago BBC showed a miniseries on these women of Bletchley Park....that's how I learned about it all.

Fascinating.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Gordon Welchman was a brillant man, however in terms of Bletchley you only often hear about Alan Turing when others such as Gordon Welchman, Bill Tutte, Tommy Flowers, Dilly Knox and Nigel de Grey were also equally brilliant.

Tutte broke the Lorez Cipher (Tunny) code, which was an even more advanced and diffulcult code than Enigma, whilst Tommy Flowers a British Post Office Engineer built Colossus, which was the world's first electronic, digital, programmable computer.
Jeremy Clarkson on Tommy Flowers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQeHCrZJm0

Parts of what Gordon Welchman did is still under wraps.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-06-2019 at 06:14 AM..

Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Years ago when I lived on the East Coast my neighbor, an American serviceman in WWII, claimed to have been assigned to Bletchley Park. Is that possible or were all personnel British?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Only a handful of Americans were ever with the decoders, about 6 or so. I may be wrong on the figure. Thousands eventually were working at Bletchley Park.

The US moved in to do the D-Day Planning as Clarkson points out, which was separate from the decryption people. So he may have been with them. He probably was unaware of what they were doing. Bletchley Park was a 100% British operation. I lived very near to it for about 5 years. The town of Bletchley was chosen as it was on the rail line between Oxford and Cambridge universities and in easy reach from London by road and on the West Coast Main Line rail spine. Bletchley station is within walking distance. The town had a few brick factories around it, which are now fields. Bletchley is now a part of Milton Keynes.

It was a mansion with lots of ground around it, which had masses of temporary huts built on. Hut 6 was the most important.

It is worth a visit, they have guided tours, as all the old dilapidated buildings are being renovated. It looked a neglected shambles at one point.

Bletchley Park helped the Soviets a lot. For e.g., giving the German strength and positions at Kursk. I recall even giving the German strength in Operation Bagration.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Yes. Bletchley Park would certainly be on my bucket list. Not to mention Churchill’s underground command center in London, Imperial War Museum. On and on.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yes. Bletchley Park would certainly be on my bucket list. Not to mention Churchill’s underground command center in London, Imperial War Museum. On and on.
The Western Approaches Command Centre in Liverpool (U-Boat war) is worth a visit.

http://www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk

The D-Day beaches in France are also worth a visit. The Mulberry harbour is still in Arromanches. Look off the cliff and all is before you.
HMS Belfast at Tower Bridge, London, to see the inside of an old destroyer.
RAF Hendon in London, to see the planes. Need a whole day to see that. The WW1 hall closes at noon.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Years ago when I lived on the East Coast my neighbor, an American serviceman in WWII, claimed to have been assigned to Bletchley Park. Is that possible or were all personnel British?
There were Americans at Bletchley, and some of the Codebreakers moved to the US after the war to take up lucrative job. Welchaman himself moved to the United States in 1948 where he taught the first computer course at MIT in the United States and was also employed by the likes of Remington Rand and Ferranti. Welchmand died at Newburyport, Massachusetts, USA in 1985, sadly in his later years Welchman was repeatedly harrased by US Intelligence and the FBI after publishing a book about his codebreaking.

Bletchley Park | Who were the Codebreakers?

Welchman was married to the American cubist painter Fannie Hillsmouth for a number of years.

Fannie Hillsmith - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-07-2019 at 03:02 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Bentley Priory in North London is worth a visit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yXxc4ApxmQ&t=1s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History