Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 PM

31,925 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Breaking records set by sales of previous jewels of royals including Duchess of Windsor.

https://www.france24.com/en/20181115...othebys-geneva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Breaking records set by sales of previous jewels of royals including Duchess of Windsor.

https://www.france24.com/en/20181115...othebys-geneva
Interesting, that the article doesn't say why they were up for sale, or why now. And why in Geneva.

The royal family that owned them happens to be the family King Michael of Romania's wife is from. Michael died just last fall. His wife, Anne, passed away in 2016. These must have been her jewels, put up for auction by Michael's heirs. Michael and his wife had their main residence on Lake Geneva, where the auction was held.

This is sad. :'( I'm a huge fan of King Michael's.

Here's a Wiki profile of Anne Antoinette of Bourbon-Palma, former owner of the auctioned jewelry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne_of_Romania

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-17-2019 at 11:38 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 PM

31,925 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting, that the article doesn't say why they were up for sale, or why now. The royal family that owned them happens to be the family of King Michael of Romania's wife. Michael died just last fall. His wife, Anne, passed away in 2016. I wonder if these were her jewels, maybe put up for auction by Michael's heirs. Michael and his wife lived on Lake Geneva, where the auction was held.

Prince Michael lead a very interesting (and long) life: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.893e0a103e92

The jewels offered up for sale were stunning: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1NJ330

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marie-...re-up-for-sale

Few families/persons in the world have the kind of resources to plonk down 32 million Euros for a brooch. So unless it was a government we're talking Middle Eastern royalty, Russian oligarch, perhaps hedge fund banker. Then there is always any of the tech billionaires like Mr. Bill Gates who have more money than God, and make more of it each month.

At same auction were also jewels from collections of Happy Rockefeller and Barbara Sinatra. Maybe families/estates are selling surplus to requirement jewels to fatten (or shore up) their finances.

Royalty and quite frankly high society isn't what it once was; and few ladies outside of Queen Elizabeth, The Princess of Wales (ok, Camilla, *LOL*) and some other members of Windsor family deck themselves out like Christmas trees with any sort of regularity.

Most young women today be they socialites or royalty tend to go for more discreet pieces.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
Thank you Bugsy for posting.

I love hearing about the men of that time period. it strikes me how many were so young but up to the task.

the jewels are nice too.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:25 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
I hope those jewels end up in a museum so they can viewed by the public.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I hope those jewels end up in a museum so they can viewed by the public.
Evalyn Walsh-McLean frequently wore the Hope diamond to parties and events.

But I guess the notion of, say, Melinda Gates wearing a $30M brooch to a fundraiser inspires Batman-like robbery attempts.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:35 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Evalyn Walsh-McLean frequently wore the Hope diamond to parties and events.

But I guess the notion of, say, Melinda Gates wearing a $30M brooch to a fundraiser inspires Batman-like robbery attempts.
I doubt anyone purchased the jewels so they can be worn but there's always the possibility. Most likely some kind of rich collector who will keep them hidden away for another 50 years.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:48 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
From a long ago French queen to a Saudi royal family member no doubt. Hard to imagine just how many works of art and jewelry are in their hands.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
From a long ago French queen to a Saudi royal family member no doubt. Hard to imagine just how many works of art and jewelry are in their hands.
As opposed to the Japanese during their buy-the-world spree of the 1980s, or any group/era of robber barons before them?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:03 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Here's a Wiki profile of Anne Antoinette of Bourbon-Palma, former owner of the auctioned jewelry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne_of_Romania
Thanks for this bit of history. One of my guilty pleasures any time I'm in a place where I can buy French- language magazines, is buying an issue of Point de Vue, which covers all the doings of royalty, including the descendants of deposed European royalty. I've always been fascinated by the Hapsburgs (of which Marie Antoinette was one). I'm glad (most of the time) that America is a democracy but still love that magazine.

I could ALMOST have been tempted to buy one of the smaller pieces at their initial estimated price, but when you get past $1 million we're talking real money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History