Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were on the road from Kentucky (we went there for his uncle Bobby Joe's funeral) and were heading home to N. Carolina (I had just gotten out of the Army 2 months earlier and we were still living there). My husband likes the talk radio stations, on AM, so we tuned in on there. And that's when we heard that the first plane hit the first tower. We heard it all the way home. And the minute we got home, is when we saw the 2nd plane hit the other tower....So tragic....For the first 4-5 hours we were home, we were glued to the T.V. set watching the whole thing. We didn't even unpacked til later that evening (we got home around late morning).

So, that's where I was when it happened...

Where were you when 9/11 happened??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 04:26 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,722 times
I was twenty minutes from Manhattan, sitting in my 4th grade classroom.
It was reading time, and the loud speaker just went on. My teacher put the book down and then asked if anyone knew what the world trade center was. A few said they did. And, then after, she told us that it was hit by a plane and we were to evacuate the school as soon as possible. Within thirty minutes, I was in my mom's car on the way home. When we got home, she was crying her eyes out on the couch.

Two days later, My dad (a fireman) and his department went to NYC to help go through the debris. My dad has yet to tell a story about what he saw, even though I am dying to find out. One time, my dad did slip, which was extremely powerful. My dad has a soft spot for young children. No, he is not a pedo. but, he donates often to the welfare of young children. Such charities like toys for tots, housing and everything. And, he saw a teddy bear. Which, I know effected him greatly.

Thinking about it, I can relive that week. I remember exactly where I was sitting, the expression my teachers face, when I was leaving the school, seeing my mom, seeing the footage, fighting with my dad not to go, having my teacher ask me where my dad was, etc.

To be honest, if I had stepped out of my house, I probably could have saw the smoke coming from the building.

But, in all. It was a rather intense day for the suburbs of Manhattan.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:55 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,967 times
I was sleeping in CA...my mother called(also in CA) she was up for work, I had the day off. My husband answered the phine, he put on the tv and went to work late..........I watched it allllll day......

Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I had just flown into Boston, I worked for Delta at the time and was based in Tampa. I was visiting family just outside of Boston for what was to be a 2 day visit. I arrived at the Boston airport just before the first terrorists flights took off. Luckily I had driven out of Boston in time because I believe the roads were shut down to some extent ,when they found where the planes where leaving from. I ended up with an extended stay with family until the weekend when the flights were allowed to fly again. I new the airlines would layoff after this day, and shortly after I got back to Tampa, CNN was already announcing Delta was laying off 20000 employees, and they did, as did all the airlines. I wasn't surprised to hear also on CNN today that Delta and Northwest are announcing their merger tommorrow in order to stay in business. THere were a number of people from the New England states that were killed in the flights out of Boston ,4 in and around the town I am from in Mass. My parents both died 2 and 3 years after 9/11 and they are buried just 20 feet from a young girl killed on the United flight that hit the World Trade center. I think my parents are probably looking out for her.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,980 times
I was in a hotel in New Mexico enroute to Texas, my son and hubby were sleeping....I couldn't digest what was going on at the time, it was surreal.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I was being discharged from the hospital for premature labor and when my husband and I got into the car the radio personality reported the first plane had hit the building.

The rest is history.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I was at work. I had opened the gas station at 5am and had no access to tv or radio so was hearing updates as the customers came in. I left work at 430, got halfway home and had to turn around to go back. The rumors of gas going up caused the whole town to go to the gas stations and all managers where required to be at work, because of the chaos(almost all the gas stations in town, about 20, ran out of gas). I ended up working until 1am. The District Manager had to stop at the store to lock the doors, because I couldn't get away from the register long enough to lock them.

On a side note I had to laugh at the upset people when gas was 99 cents a gallon a few days later.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM

66 posts, read 341,718 times
I was in a Home Depot. Even though the cashier was crying, I was thinking how ignorant our enemies are of the real America. Home Depot was a symbol to me, that we can rebuild whatever our enemies try to knock down. I don't know if this is true or not, but a mother of a Navy SEAL told us her son was in Afghanistan within three days of 9/11.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
I was a returning college student at a school near Boston at the time. I had afternoon classes that semester, so when I got up that morning I was in no rush to get dressed and get going. I was having a leisurely morning, with the television tuned to Good Morning America, when they went to an ABC reporter on the scene as the story broke. I never heard why that reporter happened to be right there in downtown Manhattan at the time. This was just after the first plane had hit, but the reporter apparently hadn't gotten a good look, because he said the building may have been hit by an airplane or a missile, but from the sound of it flying over he thought it was probably a missile. I'm there thinking this does not sound good.

Ironically, I was actually hoping it had been an airplane that had hit the building. I was picturing a small plane, maybe crashing by accident. I kept looking at the scene of that beautiful blue sunny sky, and thinking it was unlikely that a plane could have hit the building accidentally on a clear day like that, but I kept hoping, maybe, if it was an airplane and not a missile at least there was a chance that it had been an accident. Then the second plane hit, and I knew.

I walked up to campus for my first class that afternoon, and found a policeman standing out front. He told me classes had been cancelled for the day. I went right back home and back to watching the story on television.

It gave me a taste of the interconnectedness of people. Of course this was especially true being that I was in another Northeastern city, but I'm sure there were connections all over the country. A couple of weeks later I was out at a restaurant one evening. I got talking with a woman sitting near me. It turned out she worked for a company, headquartered in the town where I was living, which had had a number of employees on one of the flights, on their way to Los Angeles on business. It gave me a jolt all over again, just like I'd had on the day it happened.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
I was at work (in CT) and my son-in-law called me to tell me what happened. At first I didn't believe him because he likes to joke around. I went to the conference room and put on the TV and couldn't beleive what I saw. In the mean time there was a gentleman that was at our company doing some consulting work, looks at us and says,"my son works in the Trade Center". The room went completely silent, he broke down and cried, my boss drove him home I believe somehere in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History