Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Do You Believe Are the World's Most Negative Events?
The Russian Revolution of 1917 and in Particular the October Revolution 27 42.86%
The French Revolution 3 4.76%
Hitler's Accession to Power in 1933 30 47.62%
The American Revolution 1 1.59%
England's Glorious Revolution of 1689 0 0%
September 11, 2001 9 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 06:33 AM

1,411 posts, read 565,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Yeap. There were two major groups: Nazi collaborators and war prisoners. All were filtrated to verify claims; war prisoners were freed, collaborators executed. What's the issue?

The only problem with that operation was the pre-WWI/WWII emigrants that also were moved to Russia. It was a not major group, but nonetheless there were cases. Not all of them wanted back. For those I would agree that move was wrong.
Too bad time travel doesn't exist, because you would have been a great recruit for the NKVD and been able to serve the glorious Stalin.
That is, until you may have been suspected of counterrevolutionary thought, or bourgeois ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Problem is that there are no reliable sources neither for SU famine, neither for US one. So researches apply same method: get the graph if population growth, and see if there are any dips, or so called "absent people". For example, if each year for last 20 years population grew by 2 mln each year, and then for couple years there is no such growth, it raises a question: what happened? If after taking out migration numbers and other appropriate adjustments numbers still do not align, we can say - something happened. That's how famine death toll calculated for SU, and exactly same way for US during Great Depression:

Famine killed 7 million people in USA
An article from Pravda? Really? Let's be nice and just say that the Russian government newspaper is not an acceptable source.

Those missing seven million people did not die of famine. Rather, they were the result of a declining birthrate during the years of the Great Depression. No surprise there. Birthrates decline during bad economic times and they increase during good economic times. One dramatic example of this was the huge increase in the birthrate that occurred following World War II during the Baby Boom Era.

If famine had occurred in America, you would be able find large burial pits where the victims were buried. You'd find many newspaper stories about this "famine" that occurred. Family members or descendants of those who survived would have anecdotes and tales about all of this. Family diaries would be full of stories of mass starvation. None of those things exist. Famine didn't exist in America during the Depression. This is not the same thing as to say "no one died of starvation". However, such deaths were rare and generally occurred in big cities where people were isolated and lived in anonymity.

This assertion that famine killed seven million Americans during the Great Depression is utter nonsense.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:31 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
An article from Pravda? Really? Let's be nice and just say that the Russian government newspaper is not an acceptable source.

Those missing seven million people did not die of famine. Rather, they were the result of a declining birthrate during the years of the Great Depression. No surprise there. Birthrates decline during bad economic times and they increase during good economic times. One dramatic example of this was the huge increase in the birthrate that occurred following World War II during the Baby Boom Era.

If famine had occurred in America, you would be able find large burial pits where the victims were buried. You'd find many newspaper stories about this "famine" that occurred. Family members or descendants of those who survived would have anecdotes and tales about all of this. Family diaries would be full of stories of mass starvation. None of those things exist. Famine didn't exist in America during the Depression. This is not the same thing as to say "no one died of starvation". However, such deaths were rare and generally occurred in big cities where people were isolated and lived in anonymity.

This assertion that famine killed seven million Americans during the Great Depression is utter nonsense.
Original work was in Russian, so they were the only ones who bothered to translate. If you want non-russian link, here we go:
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/sister...eat-depression

As for "utter nonsense" - you see, the researcher used the very same approach as US "historians" did for SU. All of a sudden you didn't like that

That's why I always was saying: no documents? Not happened then. And even with the documents, you'd be extremely careful to verify them: too many people have an incentive to lie, skew the facts or outright forge papers. "Fake news" were not born yesterday; they existed for centuries. Granted, they became totally shameless lately, but the core approach stayed the same.

I admit I don't think myself it was a real 7mln death toll of GD. Sure there were some, may be tens of thousands at most, but sure not 7mln claimed. This was just an illustration to show how it all looks when someone start claims obviously having an agenda or just blindly listening to propaganda.

Personally, I always try to be neutral on historic events. "History is written by winners", that's why it's important to understand the context of events, and look for the actual documents. It's very complicated, and it's much easier to put label here and there following exactly what propaganda tells you, but sane person should dig facts for himself. To take US (or any Western researcher for that matter) view on any SU events is about same way "rational" as taking SU views on US events. Both will be skewed to the extreme level.

In another words, you wouldn't trust what Bin Laden says about US, would you? Problem is, same applies to the opposite direction.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
Too bad time travel doesn't exist, because you would have been a great recruit for the NKVD and been able to serve the glorious Stalin.
That is, until you may have been suspected of counterrevolutionary thought, or bourgeois ideas.
Hmmm, you are giving me hard choice: be in NKVD, or drop napalm onto Vietnamese civilians from US bomber. Everything is so tasty, can I have both?

Old 08-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, you are giving me hard choice: be in NKVD, or drop napalm onto Vietnamese civilians from US bomber. Everything is so tasty, can I have both?
Oh, I think you would like the up close & personal duty; perhaps in the basement of the Lubyanka?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
Oh, I think you would like the up close & personal duty; perhaps in the basement of the Lubyanka?
It's so hard to resist this offer. So cool! Can I also please torture my fellow citizens with mustard gas https://allthatsinteresting.com/human-experiments? I can do it part-time and on weekends. Oh, wait, if I do both Lubyanka and torture then I'll become https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Haspel. Well, where can I sign up?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:31 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Yeah, I suggest to make revolution in UK now. It is still "autocratic dynasty which ruled by right of birth"
A symbolic monarch subject to a legislative body, hardly constitutes autocratic government.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A symbolic monarch subject to a legislative body, hardly constitutes autocratic government.
You are right, but consider the source of this laughable statement.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
It's so hard to resist this offer. So cool! Can I also please torture my fellow citizens with mustard gas https://allthatsinteresting.com/human-experiments? I can do it part-time and on weekends. Oh, wait, if I do both Lubyanka and torture then I'll become https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Haspel. Well, where can I sign up?
The phrase that comes to mind here is "fellow traveler', or, perhaps "useful idiot."
Old Ilyich & Dzughasvili would have just lllooovveeeddd you!

Old 08-30-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"Symbolic"? Check the law again:

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/30/why...ament_partner/

How you call when Queen decides to suspend parliament, thus giving dictatorship freeway to BoJo? Is it still "symbolic"? By the way, "dictatorship" in this case is not a cursing, but qualification: by definition, "dictatorship" comes when there is no separation between legislative and executive branches, and that's exactly what BoJo got - from "symbolic" Queen.

You see, in UK Queen is not a "subject to" anything. Google "King cannot do wrong".

And on top of that - in UK the upper chamber of parliament body is aristocratic one. If you are not born in aristocracy, you'll never get there. Still think UK is "democracy" ?

Revolution, only revolution will help UK! Preferably color one - with snipers, riots etc. But traditional one is also acceptable.
Another option is US to bring democracy there - democratic bombing, "freedom fighters", and so on.

Last edited by kanonka; 08-30-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History