U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 12:38 AM

4,086 posts, read 10,637,086 times

Advertisements

Technically, I'm a very late Boomer, but I have lived a Gen X life.

While my older siblings had a stay at home mom, I was a latchkey adolescent.

The Vietnam War had no impact on my politics, but the Iran Hostage Crisis did.

I became aware of the wider world during a bad economic period (1973 - 82), with high inflation and high unemployment. The good economies of the 80s and 90s seemed like a special anomaly rather than the new normal. However, the Great Recession didn't freak me out because I had seen similar bad economic periods.

My first job had a computer in the office (word processor). I've never worked a job that didn't have one.

I didn't like 70s music, but lived and loved 80s music.

Some view Gen X as another Lost Generation, and that feels about right to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 01:04 AM

5,876 posts, read 4,145,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I reject those names, labels, and boxes. I'm just a person. That's all that matters.
You're in a generation, like it or not. The problem is when people put negative connotations to a generation. A generation is simply a group of people who grew up and have had life experiences on a similar timeline.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:58 AM

4,480 posts, read 2,487,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Some view Gen X as another Lost Generation, and that feels about right to me.
The real lost generation is Millennials, especially the first half of the Millennial generation, whose graduations/early career years were during the 2nd worst recession of the last 150 years.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:03 AM

10,063 posts, read 5,746,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortituda View Post
The Baby Boomer Generation

Generation X

Millennials (Gen Y)

GenZ
When did the Boomer start year get pushed back to 1944 and by whom? It has been 1946 for ages.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortituda View Post
The Baby Boomer Generation

Generation X

Millennials (Gen Y)

GenZ
This is dumping everyone born after 1995 into one generation( Gen-Z) making that a very long generation of over 20 years already when Gen-Z should have probably ended in 2015. Apparently there is no jazzy name yet for a new generation.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Okay but... why is the Gen X guy all groomed and business ready? That is a HUGE lie. Gen X was the burnout generation, the grunge rock generation, the teens who played the Sega Genesis because it did what Nintendon't, the Clerks guys, the sarcastic gloom people.

What's all this yuppie image crap all of a sudden?

Generation labels are such BS. The goal post is always moving, it only exists for older people to use for complaining about them durn kids these days.

I'm a Millennial I guess. No way in hell I'd ever wear my hair like that though.

Addendum: our collective poverty has a lot more causes than just "student debt". More like "bad income to expense ratios" and "no ladders to climb" and "Boomers won't retire because they know the world is screwed today".
Whoever came up with these dates is wrong, imo.

The Boomer years have always started in 1946 and ended in 1964.

So take this chart with a grain of salt.

Additionally Gen-Z is already done. Kids born after 2015 or so should be a new unnamed generation.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Born in 1938, mine was the generation that got sick of social injustice and endless wars and protested to do something about, at Selma and Kent State.
Silents do not get enough credit now for your activism. Whether one likes him or not Bernie Sanders' politics came from that time. I often tell younger people that all of the major music acts at Woodstock were Silents. Btw, I don't like the label
"Silent". You guys weren't silent!

Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I was born in 1943, a pre-boomer, boomer. Thanks, in no small part to the industrial development required to win WW2, we boomers and our parents reaped the post-war harvest. But what many of us have never understood, or appreciated, were the human sacrifices required by our parents' generation to put our industrial might to use on the battlefield. I had 5 uncles. 4 of them fought in WW2 - all in the Pacific. The one who didn't fight was judged to be medically unfit. The sad and telling thing about their contribution is that they were reluctant to talk about their experiences and I was too obsessed with reaping the economic benefits of their service that I never asked.

All this dawned on me only in the last 10-15 years, after I became an ardent reader of books about WW2 (mostly about the Pacific War), and found out about the dangers my father and uncles faced in the US Navy, but barely talked about, in places like Guadalcanal, Saipan and Okinawa.

I don't know what else to say, except that we didn't do it on our own, as many boomers still think.
Well, they did get labeled the Greatest generation for a reason. You explained part of the reason above.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, so perhaps this has already been addressed. I don't think it's been defined yet, but there definitely has to be a generation after Gen Z, because the graphic in the OP has it lasting 24 years now. Generations are typically no more than 20 years.

I'm Gen X, born in 1974.
The dates are wrong and the OP didn't state where he/she got the chart from.

Gen-Z should be over. Babies being born now are a new generation.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:11 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,114,908 times
I am a boomer with a small “b”. I certainly don’t feel privileged as I grew up poor and paid my way through college plus living expenses. Of course, I was anti-war after a boyfriend’s brother died in Vietnam Nam. I was a liberal then but lean more conservative today except for my stance on the environment which is decidedly traditional liberal.

I don’t like labels, either, but, yes, we were shaped by the cultural and historical happenings during our formative years. Our daughter is a millennial as she was born in 1988. She has embraced electronic media and hangs out with friends rather than dates any particular guy. She is more liberal than we are and thinks for herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or