U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 PM

232 posts, read 74,154 times

Advertisements

X marks the spot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,570,015 times
I was born in September of 63. A very late boomer. I feel more aligned with Generation X than boomers.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 PM

13,231 posts, read 8,013,191 times
All that "handling retirement" and "preparing for retirement" is kind of a laugh, to me.

Most people I know, aren't. And they are not dirt poor low life types, either.

Silent Gen: My grandparents and their siblings, my boyfriend's father... In their 80's or older, or dead now. All made good livings and managed to retire, many of them had nice retirements with time to do fun stuff, my Grandparents bought motorhomes and boats and such. This generation, in many cases I've seen, helped their kids WELL into adulthood, even in a few cases where they're still living, they still do!

Boomers: My parents, aunts & uncles, and my Boyfriend. All around age 60-ish. If they achieved economic security at all, they did not save for retirement. Expensive bad choices. Heavy reliance on their parents for help. I know one just filed bankruptcy. I know others who are tapping their kids for money and support. I don't know any who are able to retire, or anywhere near it, though their parents did around this age. (I'm sure that there are plenty who are better off than this, but I seem to know a number of them who aren't.)

Gen X: Me. My ex. I was the "baby" of GX, I'm 40 now. My Ex is 51. He grew up with the Cold War being an influence, I didn't really care. My growing up, I got the dark and nihilistic goth and grunge influences, the last bit of MTV showing music videos, the beginning of adult cartoons as a "thing." Everyone's parents were getting divorced, we were all "latch key kids." If you can be cynical but optimistic somehow...like, in a "well, we're all gonna die so might as well have a good time" way...that's me and my friends. My ex was a somewhat different story. But his formative years were in the 80s and mine were in the 90s. He dreams and fantasizes of being a post-apocalyptic survivor of something between Red Dawn and Mad Max. Not so much "preparing for retirement" as trying to figure out how to handle being sandwiched between kids who are struggling young adults, and parents who don't have any retirement savings at 60.

I have to remind my Boomer boyfriend that my sons are NOT Millennials, that Millennials are older than that, now. My sons are definitely Gen Z, at ages 18 and 20. Honestly, I never thought it would be so much harder to parent two (technically) ADULTS than it would be to parent little kids! But it is, though.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:25 AM
PVW

82 posts, read 22,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Sex, drugs and rock and roll was alive and well at Woodstock (1969).

AIDS came much later (1980s)
True, but these developments were influenced by and affected primarily Boomers, while members of Gen. X coming out of their childhood and teen years into the world that the Boomers had created.

For example, the older Gen X members were young teens in the late 1970s and young adults in the 1980s.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:31 AM
PVW

82 posts, read 22,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Okay but... why is the Gen X guy all groomed and business ready? That is a HUGE lie. Gen X was the burnout generation, the grunge rock generation, the teens who played the Sega Genesis because it did what Nintendon't, the Clerks guys, the sarcastic gloom people.

What's all this yuppie image crap all of a sudden?

Generation labels are such BS. The goal post is always moving, it only exists for older people to use for complaining about them durn kids these days.

I'm a Millennial I guess. No way in hell I'd ever wear my hair like that though.

Addendum: our collective poverty has a lot more causes than just "student debt". More like "bad income to expense ratios" and "no ladders to climb" and "Boomers won't retire because they know the world is screwed today".
I think it is a general image depicting where the Gen X people are now in life, folks who are generally in their middle years, working, people in their 40s and 50s. Yes, there are members who might have been grunge types in their youth, but they are in a different place now. See ie. Beto O'Rourke.

Remember, that numbers of Gen X people had older siblings and cousins who were Baby Boomer yuppie types and they had a great influence upon those who were especially of the older Gen X cohort.

I write this as a Gen X'er. I knew of grunge rock, but I was definitely a more serious minded type when I was of that age.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:03 AM

11,749 posts, read 5,488,887 times
Born in the last few days of 1954 so I'm a Boomer.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:04 AM

47,951 posts, read 38,544,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I was born in September of 63. A very late boomer. I feel more aligned with Generation X than boomers.
I am a "late boomer" too and my two younger brothers are Gen Xers. I feel like a bit of both.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 AM

47,951 posts, read 38,544,569 times
I think it's a mistake to try to categorize (and blame) generations. Every single generation is influenced by past generations and they influence future generations.

Quote:
We Didn’t Start the Fire

By Billy Joel

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe
Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, "The King and I" and "The Catcher in the Rye"
Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc
Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron
Dien Bien Phu falls, "Rock Around the Clock"
Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Krushchev
Princess Grace, "Peyton Place", trouble in the Suez

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, "Bridge on the River Kwai"
Lebanon, Charlse de Gaulle, California baseball
Starkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide
Buddy Holly, "Ben Hur", space monkey, Mafia
Hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, "Psycho", Belgians in the Congo

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Hemingway, Eichmann, "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion
"Lawrence of Arabia", British Beatlemania
Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson
Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British politician sex
JFK, blown away, what else do I have to say

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock
Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline
Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan
"Wheel of Fortune", Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide
Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz
Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore

We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
We didn't start the fire
But when we are gone
Will it still burn on, and on, and on, and on
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

We Didn’t Start the Fire lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group
https://genius.com/Billy-joel-we-did...he-fire-lyrics

Oh and this one too - it was true then and true now:
https://youtu.be/uGDA0Hecw1k

Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 AM

82 posts, read 12,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Generations aren't cut and dry though; someone born December 31, 1979 is not automatically, set-in-stone an X-er, and someone born January 1, 1980 is not automatically, set-in-stone, a Millennial. The dates look right except I've always known Millennial to end around 1997, not after 1994. You could use the store Lechmere's closure (November 7, 1997) as an approximate dividing point. There is a term called "Zennials" that is sometimes used for people born between about 1995 and 2000. The OP, born in 1996, can choose the Millennial, Z, or Zennial label.

There's also the Silent Generation (1928-1943) and the Greatest Generation (1907-1927) that still have living members today.

Although the Baby Boomer generation is 1944-1964, in rare circumstances someone born as early as 1939 or as late as about 1970 could claim to be a Boomer.
Generation X is 1965-1979, however in rare circumstances an X-er could be as old as 1959 or as young as 1986.
Millennials are 1980-1997, however in rare circumstances a Millennial could be as old as 1973 or as young as 2003.
Gen Z starts in 1998, however in rare circumstances a Z-er could be as old as 1991.
Agree with you, in fact I feel closer to the millenials rather than Gen Z,but the typical millenials are not my peers either,most of the times I feel I'm between millenials and Gen Z,I might be a "Zennial"

Old 11-05-2019, 08:40 AM

4,371 posts, read 4,993,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
I think it is a general image depicting where the Gen X people are now in life, folks who are generally in their middle years, working, people in their 40s and 50s. Yes, there are members who might have been grunge types in their youth, but they are in a different place now. See ie. Beto O'Rourke.

Remember, that numbers of Gen X people had older siblings and cousins who were Baby Boomer yuppie types and they had a great influence upon those who were especially of the older Gen X cohort.

I write this as a Gen X'er. I knew of grunge rock, but I was definitely a more serious minded type when I was of that age.
That's fine for you but there's no way the suit stiff represents the majority of your age group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or