Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

She sank in Lake Superior with all 29 souls lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
of the big lake they called "Gitche Gumee."
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
when the skies of November turn gloomy.
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty,
that good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
when the "Gales of November" came early."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 06:06 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
I remember this well. At the time I was living near Ashtabula Ohio one of the Great Lakes ports. Winter weather can be dangerous especially to cargo ships all along this area. You have strong storm systems sweeping in from Canada with high winds and snow. The land area on the south side of the lakes is in a snow belt where you can get a foot or more of snow from a single storm.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
I thought it was November 9 when I posted this, From Kristallacht to the Fall of the Berlin Wall - November 9, What a Day!. I think you're right. Sorry.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
I've lived in Duluth and I've been down at the shore during bad weather. The power of the lake when the wind starts blowing hard is hard to fathom without seeing it firsthand, and I cannot imagine the experience of being out in it (I've only been out in calm conditions, and in the protected waters of the Apostle Islands archipelago).

In Duluth, there is a place called Canal Park, near the canal through which ore boats* pass from the harbor into the open lake. There is located the Lake Superior Maritime Museum, a small but fascinating place where one can spend a couple of hours looking at exhibits displaying the history of navigation on the lakes. Among other things, they have period rooms depicting various boat cabins and many large and detailed models of various boats. And admission is free. I've been there many times and it's highly recommended. There's also a lot of good eating in the immediate area. Word of caution: even in mid-summer, if the wind is blowing off that lake it will be cold.

*In Great Lakes terminology, there are no ships - all vessels on the lakes are referred to as boats.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:38 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
We've had threads about this nearly every year.

When the Gales of November Come Early

News, The Edmund Fitzgerald, Lost ship's legend lives on.

Edmund Fitzgerald

SS Edmund Fitzgerald RIP

The other half of the threads were less interesting.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I've lived in Duluth and I've been down at the shore during bad weather. The power of the lake when the wind starts blowing hard is hard to fathom without seeing it firsthand, and I cannot imagine the experience of being out in it (I've only been out in calm conditions, and in the protected waters of the Apostle Islands archipelago).

In Duluth, there is a place called Canal Park, near the canal through which ore boats* pass from the harbor into the open lake. There is located the Lake Superior Maritime Museum, a small but fascinating place where one can spend a couple of hours looking at exhibits displaying the history of navigation on the lakes. Among other things, they have period rooms depicting various boat cabins and many large and detailed models of various boats. And admission is free. I've been there many times and it's highly recommended. There's also a lot of good eating in the immediate area. Word of caution: even in mid-summer, if the wind is blowing off that lake it will be cold.

*In Great Lakes terminology, there are no ships - all vessels on the lakes are referred to as boats.
Nice post -- thanks

Old 11-15-2019, 08:32 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
Quote:

I've lived in MN for 13 years and have found that Canal Park is one of my favorite places to visit and spend an afternoon. Very unique and special place.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Gordon Lightfoot corrected one factual error in the song when he sings it; maybe he will amend "ships" to "boats." Gordon researches his songs extensively when he sings about history or geography.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Gordon Lightfoot corrected one factual error in the song when he sings it; maybe he will amend "ships" to "boats." Gordon researches his songs extensively when he sings about history or geography.
Eh.

I see no point in that.

It's a song, not a documentary. While I find the boats parlance to be interesting, for mass public consumption the term would be confusing and/or odd. Poetic license is not a bad thing.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Eh.

I see no point in that.

It's a song, not a documentary. While I find the boats parlance to be interesting, for mass public consumption the term would be confusing and/or odd. Poetic license is not a bad thing.
I agree. Lightfoot would disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History