U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,096,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What you reference isn't a separate step, it was simply a decision to employ the confiscated contraband in work which assisted the Union armies. It was done under the legal umbrella of the confiscation act. It is no different than putting a captured rebel horse to work hauling Union supplies, in legal terms. I am unaware of any "second confiscation" which freed slaves..
Hi.. there was more than one confiscation act. I thought u were solely referencing the original 1861 one, I was adding the second one (1862) in there (since u were trying to correct an emancipation chronology). I'm adding a link about the multiple confiscation acts, unless u implied in your original post that there was a series of escalating acts, then forgive me:

http://https://www.britannica.com/event/Confiscation-Acts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:09 AM

34,296 posts, read 17,675,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
^This. The South was invaded - the Confederate states belived they had the right to seceed.
Are we still talking about Johnny Rebel in the ranks, or the political elite in the South? Because it's well-documented that the most ardent pro-secessionists (the "fire-eaters") weren't just expecting a war, they wanted one. Some would even publish novels depicting the coming war and the inevitable Southern victory in great detail.

The Southern elites harbored a self-image as an aristocracy - and in their minds it was obvious that well-bred noblemen who knew to keep inferior races in check would be victorious over a bunch of merchants and mill-owners who burdened their armies down with free black people.

The decision to fire on Fort Sumter was made in part to get the conflict elevated to a military one and force the still-wavering states to pick a side. Probably why the later declarations of secession lack a lot of the fire and brimstone of the early ones. The late joiners weren't particularly eager to secede, they just wanted to be on the winning side.

Incidentally, thanks to the posters who provided clarification on the confiscation act - I learned something.

Old Today, 01:10 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,800,332 times
So simply put we have a minority elite class who holds power over the rabble and commands them to fight and die in a war that only the elites will benefit from. Where have we heard that before?

Old Today, 03:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,466,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
So simply put we have a minority elite class who holds power over the rabble and commands them to fight and die in a war that only the elites will benefit from. Where have we heard that before?
The history of the human race?

Old Today, 04:49 PM

10,159 posts, read 21,605,227 times
If we could time travel and do surveys of civil war soldiers we'd probably be surprised how much it was about state loyalty and how little it was about slavery or preserving the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History