Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 04:21 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Some or many people may disagree with the bold and my next statement but it's very true and so called Blacks in this country are still reeling from the destruction of the businesses. In order to a have an actual community, there has to be an adequate economy of said group of people in order to not be reliant on others outside of your designated group. Residinghere2007 mentioned that if we were just left alone, we'd be thriving to this day but targeted attacks and the many dominoes falling as a result does what to a group of people? Not quite like Haiti but having your economic power stripped is a female canine (no disrespect). Being autonomous and economically able is actually the key to having a national community, that is why there's no "black community" in this country and there certainly aren't any "black leaders" like what Malcom X said about other people designating entertainers to be "leaders" of a non existing community.
This economic stability of black communities was a by product of segregation. The local multiplier effect was enhanced by black people not being allowed to trade anywhere else. Every dollar spent there stayed there. I remember reading the multiplier effect in the black business district in Tulsa. It was many times the average. Some of the oldest wealth in many black communities are those that are the most segregated like churches and funeral directors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 05:37 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This economic stability of black communities was a by product of segregation. The local multiplier effect was enhanced by black people not being allowed to trade anywhere else. Every dollar spent there stayed there. I remember reading the multiplier effect in the black business district in Tulsa. It was many times the average. Some of the oldest wealth in many black communities are those that are the most segregated like churches and funeral directors.
The money recirculated somewhere between 36 and 100 times according to this article. I remember hearing about that about 5 or 6 years ago.

It's crazy how in many of these accounts, the wealth-potential wealth was destroyed and poverty was created.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:18 PM

50 posts, read 24,663 times
From a NY Times opinion piece of October 5, 1919:

" FOR ACTION ON RACE RIOT PERIL ( title, capitalized by Times )

Radical Propaganda Among Negroes Growing, and
Increase of Mob Violence Set Out in Senate Brief for Federal Inquiry

. . .
Reds Inflaming Blacks. (section title) "

Quote:
Every week the militant leaders gain more headway. They may be divided into general classes. One consists of ... revolutionaries. They are spreading Bolshevist propaganda. It is reported that they are winning many recruits among the (black) race.
Source: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/tim...0/05/106999010 d pdf

Last edited by TedF0ster; 01-16-2020 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-16-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedF0ster View Post
From a NY Times opinion piece of October 5, 1919:

" FOR ACTION ON RACE RIOT PERIL ( title, capitalized by Times )

Radical Propaganda Among Negroes Growing, and
Increase of Mob Violence Set Out in Senate Brief for Federal Inquiry

. . .
Reds Inflaming Blacks. (section title) "

Source: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/tim...0/05/106999010 d pdf
Here's an article on that: The Black Bolsheviks.

Your link is broken. Also important to note is that so-called black were deemed radical when they spoke on mobilizing and defending themselves.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM

50 posts, read 24,663 times
NY Times opinion piece of October 5, 1919:

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/tim.../106999010.pdf

Old 01-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the link. Using the lense of today to peer into the attitudes of those times is appropriate. Fighting for respect, dignity, and 1st class (instead of 2nd class) status should be commended...

Old 01-19-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Just read about how, on June 22, 1919, there was a NAACP held in Cleveland. Dubois and about 10,000 other people were there and the message was to fight back and they stressed how they needed to vote. This chapter did highlight how a speaker encouraged those in attendance that they needed to join those who were recruiting them (Bolsheviks, I.W.W., etc) if no change in treatment took place.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:55 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,035,093 times
That era was amongst our worst in many ways. That is no excuse, and there is none, for these atrocities. However, it makes me relish being born when I was far later. Early 20th century we were hardly the world's #1 super power. Bombings on Wall St by pedestrian citizens could kill dozens. WWI hardly was a rousing US success story ending. No safety nets. Lose job to anyone-family might starve.

In short, the powder keg environment made life ripe for horrific events such as the Red Summer of 1919.

Still if there is a hell, I do hope those perpetuating such violence are burning there forever.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That era was amongst our worst in many ways. That is no excuse, and there is none, for these atrocities. However, it makes me relish being born when I was far later. Early 20th century we were hardly the world's #1 super power. Bombings on Wall St by pedestrian citizens could kill dozens. WWI hardly was a rousing US success story ending. No safety nets. Lose job to anyone-family might starve.

In short, the powder keg environment made life ripe for horrific events such as the Red Summer of 1919.

Still if there is a hell, I do hope those perpetuating such violence are burning there forever.
Good post man. I'm very grateful for not growing up in that era. There was so much allowance of wrongs by those in influential positions. I made a statement about me looking at it through today's mindset but like you said, "There is no excuse." There'd be a lot of people getting just judgements though.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:26 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
The money recirculated somewhere between 36 and 100 times according to this article. I remember hearing about that about 5 or 6 years ago.

It's crazy how in many of these accounts, the wealth-potential wealth was destroyed and poverty was created.
Looking into the money circulating in a community statememt have turned up false. There's no measurement or assessment in how long money stays within any community.

Overall it does make sense that there was more of a vibrant business districts throughout Black communities due to segragation. Afterwards, it spreadout to other areas of said places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History